• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

What a shit stain on the game to what the Florida lumberjacks did to a Cup Final game. Bunch of fake tough guys getting owned.

I didn’t watch so can someone fill me in? What the hell happened in the last 6 minutes? A 2nd misconduct for Tkachuk? Eric Staal game misconduct for abuse of officials? Reilly Smith with 2 misconducts from the same incident?

I haven't been watching the games (just the highlights) but is Florida getting the same treatment from the refs that the Canes got against Florida?

Last edited:
Gudas is trending on Twitter today, because of this hit. Lots of debate on the site. Is this A) a reverse hit with Barbashev defending himself against a Gudas hit or B) head contact and a 5 minute major on Barbashev. Either way, karma wins again.

Gudas did not return and Chairman Mo had no postgame update.

I didn’t watch so can someone fill me in? What the hell happened in the last 6 minutes? A 2nd misconduct for Tkachuk? Eric Staal game misconduct for abuse of officials? Reilly Smith with 2 misconducts from the same incident?

Well, Turner did their usual stellar job of not showing anything that actually mattered, so even trying to go back and see what went on from a recording was useless. Suffice to say that it was a gong show after the hit on Eichel (pretty clean, I thought) and at some point the refs had had enough of the BS to the point of awarding Tkachuk a misconduct for a meager stick tap that knocked a stick out of a guy's hands on a dead puck. Clearly by then they had told both benches that absolutely anything after the whistle was a misconduct. Nobody listened, because why should they? There won't be consequences for any of this.

They never showed the Staal incident, or even discussed it (Edzo, Jonesy and the crew still at the absolute pinnacle of their game). Smith tried for a wild, out of control message hit on Montour late, got the first misconduct for the "hit" (not sure he actually made contact but God alone knows because ... no replay) and the second for defending himself with a high stick. I think ... it was on the edge of the screen while they blathered on about something else. At the stage when Goudas was knocked out of the game and it looked like Eichel was as well ... that thing was on a hair trigger. It was bad, but could have been much, much worse. And the league ought to be ashamed of presenting that nonsense as it's Championship level ... but you know how that goes.

Well, Turner did their usual stellar job of not showing anything that actually mattered, so even trying to go back and see what went on from a recording was useless. Suffice to say that it was a gong show after the hit on Eichel (pretty clean, I thought) and at some point the refs had had enough of the BS to the point of awarding Tkachuk a misconduct for a meager stick tap that knocked a stick out of a guy's hands on a dead puck. Clearly by then they had told both benches that absolutely anything after the whistle was a misconduct. Nobody listened, because why should they? There won't be consequences for any of this.

They never showed the Staal incident, or even discussed it (Edzo, Jonesy and the crew still at the absolute pinnacle of their game). Smith tried for a wild, out of control message hit on Montour late, got the first misconduct for the "hit" (not sure he actually made contact but God alone knows because ... no replay) and the second for defending himself with a high stick. I think ... it was on the edge of the screen while they blathered on about something else. At the stage when Goudas was knocked out of the game and it looked like Eichel was as well ... that thing was on a hair trigger. It was bad, but could have been much, much worse. And the league ought to be ashamed of presenting that nonsense as it's Championship level ... but you know how that goes.
From the replays, it looked like Tkachuk had Eichel lined up for a massive hit but Eichel took a toe pick and fell into him. Nothing there, but I guess Tkachuk got 10 for defending himself.

On the Staal thing, I read somewhere that he was on the bench and must have said one of the magic words. Rule 39 covers abuse of officials and Rule 40 covers penalties for physical abuse noted in Rule 39. Under Rule 39, a player can only be assessed a game misconduct under 2 conditions; 1) after he received either a 10 minute misconduct and persists in challenging or disputing the ruling or 2) a player uses profane, abusive or obscene language directed at an official after having been assessed a bench minor under the rule. The NHL game summary only shows abuse of officials but the image I posted last night shows it as a game misconduct. If it was verbal and not physical, it doesn’t carry an automatic suspension, only physical abuse of officials carries automatic suspensions under Rule 40. And if it was verbal, WTF is Jones doing there between the benches if he‘s not reporting that? Don’t answer, it was rhetorical.

From the replays, it looked like Tkachuk had Eichel lined up for a massive hit but Eichel took a toe pick and fell into him. Nothing there, but I guess Tkachuk got 10 for defending himself.
Honestly, from what little I could glean from what was going on in the background of what the cameras were actually focused on during the mess going on after that hit, I thought Tkachuk got the misconduct for basically trying to goad every single Vegas player on the ice into taking a swing at him. If that's the case, then he bloody well earned it. What a colossal jackass that guy is. Tremendous player, but an utter toolbag.

Elliotte Friedman says he believes a 3 team trade between the Flyers, Jackets and Kings is in process. He’s not sure of all the pieces but he thinks Ivan Provorov end up in Columbus and Cal Petersen in Philly. No word on what the Kings get and Friedman just jumped on a plane, so someone else will have to break the details.

Getting rid of Petersen is a win in and of itself for LA. And of course Philly wants him. Why would they want a good goalie when you can have a crappy expensive one?

Getting rid of Petersen is a win in and of itself for LA. And of course Philly wants him. Why would they want a good goalie when you can have a crappy expensive one?
The Kings will retain 30% of Provorov’s contract. The Flyers also get dman Sean Walker from the Kings, he’s in the last year of $2.65 million AAV contract. The deal still seems incomplete though, unless the Kings are just getting cap relief for Petersen and Walker offset by Provorov’s 30%. Flyers also get a 1st and 2nd from the Jackets and a 2nd from the Kings. If it’s this year’s first from the Jackets, Briere fleeced them.

Chris Chelios won’t be back at ESPN next year, he’s one of the thousands of cuts coming, the number is expected to be around 7,000 for $5.5 billion in savings.

That is all kinds of complicated.

I like the Flyer's return the best. They got:

The 22nd overall pick in 2023 (this is the LA Kings pick)
A 2024 2nd round pick from the Kings
A 2024 or 2025 2nd round pick (Columbus' pick)

Cal Petersen
Sean Walker
Helge Grans

For

Kevin Connauton (pretty much cooked 33 year old #7/8 Dman)
Ivan Provorov
Hayden Hodgson (not much of a prospect)

For the Kings, they get Connauton and Hodgson, who are both mostly useless. They retain 30% on Provorov, and trade a 2nd round pick. In return they get out of Cal Petersen's final 2 years. They also dump Sean Walker's final season ($2.65 million cap hit, $3.35 salary) and the rights to Helge Grans, who might be a 3rd pair Dman at some point, maybe. Their net cap savings is about $5.625 million per over the next 2 seasons (assuming they bury Connauton, who is on a 2 way and Hodgson, who is has a 1 way deal for next season) and they save around $8 million in cash payouts.

Columbus trades the Kings 1st round pick (which they acquired on the Korpisalo trade) and one of their own 2nd round picks for Provorov at a cap hit of only $4.725 million each of the next 2 seasons and payable salaries and signing bonuses of almost $6 million per.

I call that a win for the Flyers. Columbus makes out ok too. The Kings free up over $5 million in cap space and save themselves some serious cash.

Win-Win-Win I guess, but I still think the Flyers come out of that the best, even if Cal Petersen doesn't figure it out.

This is just the opening move for the Flyers. I think Briere is going to drop a bomb on that roster (and rightfully so).

Last edited:
It also gives the Kings the cap space to re-sign dman Vladislav Gavrikov, who was the other piece of the Korpisalo trade.

Back to last nights game for a minute if I may. The Florida Panthers are trying to be tough, the Vegas Golden Knights actually are. Florida likes to have cosmetic displays of toughness and use it as a shift disturber thing…Vegas is not bothered by it one iota and have not only stood their ground but they actually have owned the Panthers in that game so far. Barbashev is a beast, built like a tank, he just reverse hit Gudas and obliterated him, Gudas essentially beaten by his own thing. Tkachuk at every stoppage with a hack, a slash, a face wash and most of it flies with no penalty or call whatsoever. I thought the zebras did a decent job of controlling the garbage with those misconduct penalties last night, at the very least it sent a message to start playing hockey and stop with the garbage.

Back to last nights game for a minute if I may. The Florida Panthers are trying to be tough, the Vegas Golden Knights actually are. Florida likes to have cosmetic displays of toughness and use it as a shift disturber thing…Vegas is not bothered by it one iota and have not only stood their ground but they actually have owned the Panthers in that game so far. Barbashev is a beast, built like a tank, he just reverse hit Gudas and obliterated him, Gudas essentially beaten by his own thing. Tkachuk at every stoppage with a hack, a slash, a face wash and most of it flies with no penalty or call whatsoever. I thought the zebras did a decent job of controlling the garbage with those misconduct penalties last night, at the very least it sent a message to start playing hockey and stop with the garbage.
As Wayne Gretzky said, “I haven’t seen that many 10s since Nadia Comenici at the 1976 Olympics”

OK ... I get the math on the Flyers' end a lot better with the details filled in. I still think even 70% of Petersen is bad business, but they got Provorov off their books and now they have 2 first rounders in a deep draft pool. Plus, Walker is a perfectly serviceable D-man, if nothing special. If they're serious about kick starting the rebuild, then maybe they find a trade partner for Hart and go with an all but guaranteed disaster in net. That's always the best way to tank.

And here is the other shoe from the Kings. They re-signed Gavrikov, 2 years/$11.75 million. He’s only getting the NHL minimum salary each year, the first year signing bonus is $5.725 million, the second year is $4.475 million. It has a full NMC both years.

Back