• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Per Kevin Weekes, the Preds whacked John Hynes and are hiring Andrew Brunette. Unless David Poile made the hire in his way out the door, that’s Barry Trotz’s fist move as GM. Brunette played for Trotz in 1998-99, the Preds’ first season in the league.

LeBrun says that Gallant will interview in Calgary and Laviolette has a 2nd interview with the Rangers.
That's a nice move by the Preds, Brunette is more of an offensive coach and the Preds need to find a way to play a better style of game that creates offense...Hynes was not that guy.

Per Kevin Weekes, the Preds whacked John Hynes and are hiring Andrew Brunette. Unless David Poile made the hire in his way out the door, that’s Barry Trotz’s fist move as GM. Brunette played for Trotz in 1998-99, the Preds’ first season in the league.

LeBrun says that Gallant will interview in Calgary and Laviolette has a 2nd interview with the Rangers.
No way Poile made that move. Hynes had personal ties to him and played that bland, vanilla, crappy hockey he preferred. Bruno is all giddy-up, all the time. Good hire, so long as his personal life is in order.

Worth noting ... this is a big deal to New Jersey. Ruff has no real feel for the rush-based stuff they were running this season. That all appeared when Brunette did. They'd be wise to go find another late stage Quenneville devotee to fill that vacancy. Or dump Ruff for somebody with a grasp of the modern game, of course.

Caps apparently hiring Leafs assistant coach Spencer Carbery as their new head coach.
He has a long history in the Caps organization, he was an assistant for 1 year and head coach of the ECHL South Carolina Stingrays for 5 more years, left the organization for 2 years and was the head coach of the Hershey Bears for 3 years before taking the Toronto job.

He has a long history in the Caps organization, he was an assistant for 1 year and head coach of the ECHL South Carolina Stingrays for 5 more years, left the organization for 2 years and was the head coach of the Hershey Bears for 3 years before taking the Toronto job.
Started his coaching career in the Flames farm system before moving on to the Bruins and Caps minor league teams. I don't think he ever worked an NHL bench before the Leafs hired him, and frankly I'm a little surprised he got hired by the Caps because technical and strategic preparedness (normally the assistant's role in the NHL) was never a Leafs strong point while he was there. Still, they know the guy and he's young. Maybe the Caps think he'll grow into the role. Todd Nelson is the current coach in Hershey but his one stint in the NHL went ... poorly. I get why they didn't just hire from within. He's kind of a moron.

Dreger says signs point to the Leafs GM search wrapping up in the very near future with Brad Treliving getting the job.

Dan O'Rourke getting the nod for his tripping call near the end of the Eastern Conference Finals?
Those were clearly the five refs the league was leaning on through the conference finals so no shock there. That group features the most consistently incompetent results. At least they all suck in unsurprising ways. In the NHL's fun house mirror world, that's as close to fair as they have to offer.

Dreger says signs point to the Leafs GM search wrapping up in the very near future with Brad Treliving getting the job.
You gotta love the NHL, man. You simply cannot suck at your job badly enough not to be credited with "experience."

Mollie Walker, who covers the Rangers for the NY Post, says the Rangers have gotten permission to contact John Hynes about their head coaching job. So I guess Lavi isn’t as done as everyone said.

Mollie Walker, who covers the Rangers for the NY Post, says the Rangers have gotten permission to contact John Hynes about their head coaching job. So I guess Lavi isn’t as done as everyone said.
Hynes, eh? See my comments about Treliving. He'd be a hard sell in NY anyway. You mean that guy that was so boring and basic in New Jersey that they replaced with Lindy Ruff's rotting corpse? NY radio would have a freaking field day with that. Lavi isn't a lot better at this point, but at least he won a Cup.

Three-year extension for Ronnie Franchise in Seattle...

I mean, it makes sense but I remain unconvinced that Ronnie will ever take enough risks to get a team anything better than good. But hey, look at David Poile ... for some reason the hockey press thinks that guy's an all time great GM and he never had a team that was anything better than good.

Kyle Dubas officially hired in Pittsburgh, but not as GM, he’s President of Hockey Operations, which was Burke’s title not Hextall’s. Presumably, there will be a GM hire too.

Kyle Dubas officially hired in Pittsburgh, but not as GM, he’s President of Hockey Operations, which was Burke’s title not Hextall’s. Presumably, there will be a GM hire too.
Interesting. From what I know about Dubas this may suit his skills better than a traditional GM role. Then he can build out a staff to do the stuff that seemed to cause him trouble in Toronto. I do wonder if that keeps Tulsky in the mix or not. Again, that franchise is the only one I'd really be concerned about losing him to, at least right now.

Elliotte Friedman says that one of the restrictions on Treliving is that he can’t be at the draft table. Seems stupid if there is no restriction on whether he can be in Toronto’s war room and in contact with the table by phone.

Interesting. From what I know about Dubas this may suit his skills better than a traditional GM role. Then he can build out a staff to do the stuff that seemed to cause him trouble in Toronto. I do wonder if that keeps Tulsky in the mix or not. Again, that franchise is the only one I'd really be concerned about losing him to, at least right now.
You can bet money that Jason Spezza joins Dubas at the very least as an Assistant GM in Pitt, likely not ready to be a GM yet.

Sheldon Keefe is kinda left twisting in the wind, one year left on his contract in Toronto but certainly not given a full vote of confidence by Treliving...kinda a lame duck coach right now after his buddy Dubas departure from Toronto.

I wouldn't think that going into next year with Keefe on the last year of is deal sounds very likely. Especially if they plan on sticking with much of the same core player group. He's respected so they'll give him the dignity of an evaluation, but I'd guess he's out in time for them to have a new guy in place before free agency.

Back