• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Team arbitration filings are due at 5 pm today.

The Sens are taking Alex DeBrincat to arbitration per Bruce Garrioch.
Smart. DeBrincat was on one of those stupid contracts where the last year was wildly inflated so that his qualifying offer would be much higher than his cap hit. May as well go ahead and file if you can't get an extension done ... and they apparently can't. He's coming off of a down year, so why not?

Timo Meier's contract is even sillier, with that QO at $10 million. However, he just scored 40 goals and as far as we know, he is willing to sign a long term deal in NJ.

Debrincat's season last year and his trade request makes taking him to arbitration a reasonable move for Ottawa.

Flyers named John LeClair Special Advisor to Hockey Operations. Eric Lindros is already a team ambassador, has anyone seen Mikael Renberg lately?

Devils re-sign Jesper Bratt, 8 years/$63 million. He was coming off a 1 year/$5.45 million contract that was signed before the arbitration hearing that Bratt filed for. He hit 30 goals for the first time and finished with his 2nd consecutive 73 point season.

$7.8 million per year. Is Bratt worth that? Two seasons in a row with 73 points and he's only 24. Pretty good

Flyers named John LeClair Special Advisor to Hockey Operations. Eric Lindros is already a team ambassador, has anyone seen Mikael Renberg lately?
They hired Patrick Sharp in a similar role a couple of days ago. FWIW, I 100% expected this kind of old boys stuff when they named Keith Jones as President and he spent all of his media availability talking about all the people that he knows in hockey. Briere may work out to be a fine GM, but the rest of that office is a dog and pony show.

$7.8 million per year. Is Bratt worth that? Two seasons in a row with 73 points and he's only 24. Pretty good
Given the direction of the market, you'd have to say yes. Bratt probably won't age all that well since his game is so speed driven, but they locked him up until he's 32 and you wouldn't think he'd slow down a ton until the last year or two. By then, $7.8 might be actual chicken feed.

Per Sportico, the Lightning are about to sell a minority stake that would value the franchise at $1.4 billion. That would be the highest transaction-based valuation of an NHL franchise since the Leafs were sold for $1 billion in 2012.

Interesting. The last NHL franchise value list I saw had the league average at a bit over S1.0 billion ... skewed by Toronto and NYR being valued over $2 billion. The biggest chunk of the franchises were in the $800-900 millions range. That valuation would be a fair amount higher than Tampa's previous valuation. Makes some sense I guess, as franchise values spike with success, and Ottawa's pending sale is fixing to re-set the market on its own. The Sens are going to end up selling for something like 40-50% higher than their projected value.

Interesting. The last NHL franchise value list I saw had the league average at a bit over S1.0 billion ... skewed by Toronto and NYR being valued over $2 billion. The biggest chunk of the franchises were in the $800-900 millions range. That valuation would be a fair amount higher than Tampa's previous valuation. Makes some sense I guess, as franchise values spike with success, and Ottawa's pending sale is fixing to re-set the market on its own. The Sens are going to end up selling for something like 40-50% higher than their projected value.
Here are the valuation figures from Sportico back in November...

FYI, Tampa was in 15th at $910 million and the Canes were at #29 at $615 million. (The latter represents a nice increase from the $420 million Dundon paid.)

Attachments

• Sportico.JPG
    Sportico.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 2
Timo Meier's contract is even sillier, with that QO at $10 million. However, he just scored 40 goals and as far as we know, he is willing to sign a long term deal in NJ.

Debrincat's season last year and his trade request makes taking him to arbitration a reasonable move for Ottawa.
Devils filed for arbitration too.

Weekes tweeted that Sharks sources told him they went above $9 million and couldn’t make a deal.

Devils filed for arbitration too.

Weekes tweeted that Sharks sources told him they went above $9 million and couldn’t make a deal.
I've seen a few hints leak out that the Devils early negotiations on a Meier extension did NOT go the way they anticipated. There's a very good chance that his situation drags out much longer than they'd like, and if he's willing to hold out it could end up in a trade. We'll see. They absolutely were trying to get Meier done before Bratt so they didn't spend all their capital on the less impactful guy, but here we are.

I've seen a few hints leak out that the Devils early negotiations on a Meier extension did NOT go the way they anticipated. There's a very good chance that his situation drags out much longer than they'd like, and if he's willing to hold out it could end up in a trade. We'll see. They absolutely were trying to get Meier done before Bratt so they didn't spend all their capital on the less impactful guy, but here we are.
Amanda Stein, who is the Walt Ruff of the Devils, tweeted that GM Tom Fitzgerald spoke with Meier yesterday and Meier told him he wants to stay in New Jersey and that he asked his agent to negotiate an 8 year deal.

Amanda Stein, who is the Walt Ruff of the Devils, tweeted that GM Tom Fitzgerald spoke with Meier yesterday and Meier told him he wants to stay in New Jersey and that he asked his agent to negotiate an 8 year deal.
All well and good. Now, what's the number? Because I'm hearing it starts with a 10

Most players say they want to stay.

Is it really all the agent's faults when they 'can't work out an agreement', and end up leaving? Yes, I understand that it's the job of an agent to maximize a player's salary, but let's be honest here. If Meier 'really wanted to stay', then he would tell his agent to be willing to give a bit on the dollars. I doubt that most players really go to their agent and say 'get a deal done here, make it happen'. They let the agent do what agents do and then act surprised/disappointed when a team elects to move on because the dollars don't make sense (looking at you Nino!).

So yeah, you want to stay in NJ Timo? You better get your agent on board with that because if he is asking for $10+ per, your chances of really staying in NJ are not great.

Heck he’s not a 10 million per year player. Anywhere.
Prolly not, but his last contract set him up to be north of $9 million and why not start out at 10 and work your way down? If you're comfortable projecting Meier out as a 40 goal guy, and you don't have to squint that hard to make that case, then $9-something million is the market range. The issue for Jersey is going to be how dug in he is on his number. If he's willing to sit in Europe and whittle like Nylander did to Toronto a couple of years ago, it's gonna get tougher and tougher not to flip the switch and justify finding somebody more willing to pay up.

Like I say, we'll see. Devils fans had this fantasy that they'd get Meier signed to something like Hughes' long term $8 million AAV contract but Timo has spent his whole career positioning himself for this payday. It's not gonna be that easy. "He wants to be here" might translate into a $250,000 discount ... maybe. But I don't think they're that close ... yet.

BTW ... making the case for the Devs going to arbitration here. Best as I can see, they have no choice.

Last edited:
10 mill for him or even 9 has to wreck their cap situation. Hughes, Bratt, future Hughes, Dougie… hard to build much depth when you start piling up 9s.

Back