• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

The goalies I can understand from an argument that so few goalies have been inducted recently. Vernon and Barrasso will both generate plenty of discussion in the next couple of weeks.

There are plenty of forwards that had careers that overlapped Turgeon's. Players with more points who also won absolutely nothing. What got Turgeon inducted this time around instead of, say, Tkachuk or Verbeek or Mogilny I don't know, and none of us will know because the committee that inducts players into the HHOF has zero accountability to anyone.

Put in some other perspective, the Athletic had 18 people do a mock induction vote. Lundquist and Mogilny were their inductees. Vernon got some votes. Barrasso and Turgeon didn't get any votes.

Last edited:
The Hall is at time’s turning into the really good club more than the really great club…carry on I guess, Alex Mogilny says hi!
Mogilny HAS to get in eventually ... at which point somebody from the previous committees that have put a bunch of lesser players in ahead of him should have to squirm through a press conference to explain themselves.

And it's about stinking time they put some goalies in the Hall. What on earth was going on with THAT delay? Did they forget? Because it seems like they forgot. Just about the only hockey organization in North America that can rival the NHL for brick-headed stubbornness is the Hall.

The goalies I can understand from an argument that so few goalies have been inducted recently. Vernon and Barrasso will both generate plenty of discussion in the next couple of weeks.

There are plenty of forwards that had careers that overlapped Turgeon's. Players with more points who also won absolutely nothing. What got Turgeon inducted this time around instead of, say, Tkachuk or Verbeek or Mogilny or heck Denis Savard (who had more career points than Turgeon)? I don't know, and none of us will know because the committee that inducts players into the HHOF has zero accountability to anyone.
In the same article at The Athletic where he makes the case against RBA (he doesn’t want to talk about Guy Carbonneau, he says that was a mistake), he makes the case against Barrasso and Vernon. Congrats to Vernon on his longevity, I guess but in his last 9 seasons after 1992-93, he played more than half the games 4 times and that includes the 1999-2000 panthers where he started 33 of 46 games after being traded there on 12/30/99

Pierre Turgeon apparently was the player with the most points who wasn't in the Hall of Fame yet. I guess that was the criteria that was used to induct him given no other slam dunk candidates. If they ever go that route again Jeremy Roenick is next followed by Bernie Nicholls (who averaged more PPG than Roenick by quite a bit).

Ahead of Turgeon in points but still playing are Crosby and Ovechkin.

Saying Carbonneau elected in was a mistake is kinda taking the easy way out on Brindy…and Roenick getting in will be very interesting moving forward considering some of his reputation off ice vs the next guy in line theme based on career points.

If RBA isn’t in and yet some of those other guys are in, it’s dead to me. They should put all the linesman and refs in because they’re also very good. Then maybe include anyone who was on ESPNs broadcast teams including sideline reporters except not OJ. Then since he deserves to be in for his playing career but was denied for other things in his life they should welcome Pete Rose for Pete’s sake. And based on that I guess you gotta have OJ. Plus add Muhammad Ali and Dave Duerson because the NHL likes concussions.

The NHL hall of fame is yet another reason this league is a damned joke.

If RBA isn’t in and yet some of those other guys are in, it’s dead to me. They should put all the linesman and refs in because they’re also very good. Then maybe include anyone who was on ESPNs broadcast teams including sideline reporters except not OJ. Then since he deserves to be in for his playing career but was denied for other things in his life they should welcome Pete Rose for Pete’s sake. And based on that I guess you gotta have OJ. Plus add Muhammad Ali and Dave Duerson because the NHL likes concussions.

The NHL hall of fame is yet another reason this league is a damned joke.
It seems to be competing w/ the RnR HOF for dumbfuckery.

Honestly? All Halls of Fame are subjective to the point of the absurd over time, so as I've gotten older I care less and less about selections and snubs. It all sorts of piles up on you and eventually you get worn out.

Honestly? All Halls of Fame are subjective to the point of the absurd over time, so as I've gotten older I care less and less about selections and snubs. It all sorts of piles up on you and eventually you get worn out.
Not if you shed it like water off a ducks back. It doesn’t weigh me down a bit. If they have folks that are not truly the best of the best they water down the soup. I don’t care to eat watered down soup. I don’t care at all about the hall of fames. Actually I care less and less about professional sports leagues (which now includes college sports) as they’ve abandoned any remote link to sportsmanship and feel like they need to have public opinions on everything. The Canes are an anomaly for me. Hanging on by a thread. It doesn’t pile up on me because I just let it go and I’ve got more than enough to do with my time without wasting my time and money making obscenely rich people richer. I used to know ALL of the major league lineups and rotations to the point if a batting order changed I noticed on the box score. Watched baseball every night. Haven’t watched more than an inning in years. Haven’t missed it. I do go to some HS games. The sports are great. The leagues are rotten.

Mogilny is better than everyone who got in this week. By a country mile.
Mogilny was a better scorer, Turgeon a better passer. Both averaged a bit better than a point per game, in the range of 84/85 points per 82 games. Turgeon played 304 more games than Mogilny. But I don’t understand what the hang up is with Mogilny not getting in. And because the HOF voters are more secretive than the Papal Conclave, we’ll never know.

Mogilny was a better scorer, Turgeon a better passer. Both averaged a bit better than a point per game, in the range of 84/85 points per 82 games. Turgeon played 304 more games than Mogilny. But I don’t understand what the hang up is with Mogilny not getting in. And because the HOF voters are more secretive than the Papal Conclave, we’ll never know.
Mogilny had the distinction of being worth the price of admission. Nobody's saying that about freaking Turgeon with a straight face. The knock on him is that he was hurt a lot, which shortened his number of high impact seasons but holy crap ... if you can't look past THAT, then what are we even doing here? The guy was important in ending the Soviet lock on drafted players and one of the most effective and entertaining players of his era. Continuing to snub him is just continuing to signal how broken the HHOF selection process is. "Mogilny? Nah ... too fun. Screw that guy."

Seravalli tweeted that the belief is that Hanifin has told the Flames he’s not interested in signing an extension. He has 1 year left at $4.95 million. He also said that they haven’t gotten a response from Lindholm but the belief around the league is that he’s also not interested in re-signing. He has 1 year left at $4.85 million.

Seravalli tweeted that the belief is that Hanifin has told the Flames he’s not interested in signing an extension. He has 1 year left at $4.95 million. He also said that they haven’t gotten a response from Lindholm but the belief around the league is that he’s also not interested in re-signing. He has 1 year left at $4.85 million.
Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Hanifin and Lindholm all wanting out. Ouch!

I guess next week is when all the fun starts in regards to trades and moving draft picks etc. Once the GM's get settled in Nashville and have a few frosty ones on Broadway the phones should start heating up! Between the draft and then silly season with the UFA window opening we should all have lots to talk about.

Back