• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

I guess next week is when all the fun starts in regards to trades and moving draft picks etc. Once the GM's get settled in Nashville and have a few frosty ones on Broadway the phones should start heating up! Between the draft and then silly season with the UFA window opening we should all have lots to talk about.
I dunno what to expect, really. The press is drooling over all the trades they expect to see before or at the draft, but a lot of times those guys just get geeked up for what they WANT to see happen. This draft has a really high quality player pool with good depth. A lot of GMs have gotten burned trading away picks in drafts like this before and I'm not sure the market is as hot as people think it is. Plus, the players on the trade block aren't all that great. I mean, does anybody really want to drop a 1st rounder in a good draft on the likes of Brock freaking Boeser or Hanifin or the rights to get hosed by DeBrincat's agent or whatever?

I know one thing ... if there aren't a lot of deals between now and the end of the first round, two thirds of the hockey press will be queueing up articles about how cowardly GMs are these days, when what they really want to say is how disappointed they are that they didn't get to write about trades. Same crap happens at the deadline every single year.

I dunno what to expect, really. The press is drooling over all the trades they expect to see before or at the draft, but a lot of times those guys just get geeked up for what they WANT to see happen. This draft has a really high quality player pool with good depth. A lot of GMs have gotten burned trading away picks in drafts like this before and I'm not sure the market is as hot as people think it is. Plus, the players on the trade block aren't all that great. I mean, does anybody really want to drop a 1st rounder in a good draft on the likes of Brock freaking Boeser or Hanifin or the rights to get hosed by DeBrincat's agent or whatever?

I know one thing ... if there aren't a lot of deals between now and the end of the first round, two thirds of the hockey press will be queueing up articles about how cowardly GMs are these days, when what they really want to say is how disappointed they are that they didn't get to write about trades. Same crap happens at the deadline every single year.
The know it alls have already said this is a subpar group of UFA’s, so they have to drool over something.

Supposedly, Tyler Toffoli and Mikael Granlund want out of Calgary too.

Last one out, please turn off the lights.

Seravalli tweeted that the belief is that Hanifin has told the Flames he’s not interested in signing an extension. He has 1 year left at $4.95 million. He also said that they haven’t gotten a response from Lindholm but the belief around the league is that he’s also not interested in re-signing. He has 1 year left at $4.85 million.
Winnipeg and Calgary are going to continue to see a mass exodus.

Winnipeg and Calgary are going to continue to see a mass exodus.
The Winnipeg News is reporting that if the Jets can’t find a taker for Blake Wheeler they’re going to buy him out. He has 1 year at $8.25 million AAV and actual, a 5 team trade list and a full NMC.

Those 2 teams are quickly becoming the place no one wants to play. And it's for multiple reasons. But it's now become VERY obvious. Players are absolutely taking things like weather, taxes and even politics into consideration when choosing teams. There was a big discussion a few weeks ago about how taxes is playing a bigger and bigger role in contracts and FA moves.

Those 2 teams are quickly becoming the place no one wants to play. And it's for multiple reasons. But it's now become VERY obvious. Players are absolutely taking things like weather, taxes and even politics into consideration when choosing teams. There was a big discussion a few weeks ago about how taxes is playing a bigger and bigger role in contracts and FA moves.
Let's not forget wives too!!! The older, established married guys have to keep the Mrs. happy...and the shopping on Portage Street in Winnipeg, Manitoba is no Miami Beach or Rodeo Drive!

The Rangers filled out their coaching staff by hiring Phil Housley, Dan Muse and Michael Peca. Housley and Muse both worked with Lavi in Nashville. Peca played for him with the Islanders. He’s been an assistant at AHL Rochester for the last 2 seasons. But with 3 coaches, it looks like there is no room for Kevin McCarthy, who has been with Lavi since the Canes days, following him to Philly, Nashville and Washington. But Kato will be 66 in a couple of weeks, maybe he decided that he’s done.

The Rangers filled out their coaching staff by hiring Phil Housley, Dan Muse and Michael Peca. Housley and Muse both worked with Lavi in Nashville. Peca played for him with the Islanders. He’s been an assistant at AHL Rochester for the last 2 seasons. But with 3 coaches, it looks like there is no room for Kevin McCarthy, who has been with Lavi since the Canes days, following him to Philly, Nashville and Washington. But Kato will be 66 in a couple of weeks, maybe he decided that he’s done.
Shout out to Kato who use to be one of my neighbors in Apex once upon a time...a good guy! Maybe cottage life is better than coaching life at 66!

Supposedly, Tyler Toffoli and Mikael Granlund want out of Calgary too.

Last one out, please turn off the lights.
Worth noting that Carolina has sniffed around on Toffoli a couple of times in the past, so they might be interested again depending on the trade cost. He's got another year at a reasonable cap hit. Toffoli is a really good fit for what the Canes do, always has been ... which is why they've kicked the tires on him in the past. He's not young anymore, but can obviously still produce. With Calgary in obvious restructure mode, if you could get him for a pick and a prospect, it's worth a phone call.

Guys are perfectly willing to play in Calgary if the team is decent and has their organizational crap together. Winnipeg? Not so much. Even the Canadian boys from the plains would strongly prefer Calgary or Vancouver.

Guys are perfectly willing to play in Calgary if the team is decent and has their organizational crap together. Winnipeg? Not so much. Even the Canadian boys from the plains would strongly prefer Calgary or Vancouver.
Calgary is a nice city. I usually get there at least once a year on business and look forward to doing so later this summer. If that organization gets its act together, I can't imagine that players would avoid Calgary, especially af and when their new building is ready.

I lived just south of Winnipeg for 2 years. It is cold, very cold and a constant strong wind from the north west.

Calgary is a nice city. I usually get there at least once a year on business and look forward to doing so later this summer. If that organization gets its act together, I can't imagine that players would avoid Calgary, especially af and when their new building is ready.
Yeah, I don't get this recent effort to try and lump Calgary in with Winnipeg as difficult markets. Calgary just isn't. They're in a rough patch organizationally, but that will pass, they'll get that new building done and they'll be fine.

Florida, Nevada, Texas and Washington don’t have a state income tax.
I was having a conversation with a retired NFL player a couple weeks ago. He was talking about why so many guys move to Tennessee to settle down, even while still playing. They don't have an income tax, they just tax the beejeezus out of alcohol and tobacco. He grew up in in the triangle, and played for NCSU, but now lives outside of Nashville. Said he knows a lot of guys in Tennessee now.

Back