• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Kevin Weekes says the Hayes to the Blues deal is back on. The return is a 2024 6th round pick. I’m sure there will be salary retention too. But this is a salary dump, rather than a hockey trade now.

Edit: LeBrun says it’s complete. Flyers retain 50%
I've never really understood what the big deal is with Hayes. He's ... just OK. He's gone over 20 goals all of two times in his career, isn't much of a passer, and for a big, physical guy he's not much for the defensive side of the rink. He's just a big body who can play just well enough to stick in your top 6 ... if you squint. He's a poster boy for the "gotta get bigger/heavier" crowd, I guess.

Seth Rorabaugh from the Pittsburgh Tribune Review is the guy that had McDavid 5th in the Hart. He had Pastrnak, Jason Robertson, Ilya Sorokin and Matthew Tkachuk ahead of him.
I could see an argument for Pasta ... maybe, but that's about it. And up to now the only thing I remember about Rorabaugh is that he got fired by The Athletic.

Sanheim's full NTC for years 1-4 of his new deal doesn't kick in until July 1st. 8 years is a long time to have a 2nd pair dman at $6.25 million AAV signed for. I'm sure Briere sees it that way.

Sanheim's full NTC for years 1-4 of his new deal doesn't kick in until July 1st. 8 years is a long time to have a 2nd pair dman at $6.25 million AAV signed for. I'm sure Briere sees it that way.
I mean, he's over-paid a bit but the issue is the 8 year term. That was dumb, dumber than dumb and made him nearly un-moveable even without an NTC.

Alex Newhook to the Habs for a couple early picks, 31st overall (1st round from FLA) and 37th (2nd round) and a prospect from the Habs to Colorado.

Dreger says PLD to the Kings is done. The Jets get forwards Alex Iafallo, Gabe Villardi, Rasmus Kupari and Montreal’s 2024 2nd rounder. Iafallo has 2 years at $4 million left. Villardi and Kupari are RFAs with arbitration rights. Kings are signing PLD to an 8 year extension at $8.5 million AAV.

So Jeff Veilette has no use for Seth Rorabaugh. Last year, he left both Matthews and McDavid off his Hart ballot, going with Kaprizov, Josi, Shesterkin, Huberdeau and JT Miller. On his Selke ballot this year, he had Bergeron 4th. He left Karlsson off his Norris ballot but included Mikhail Sergachev.

Sounds like a piece of work who doesn't take any of this seriously.
Based on the brief period when he wrote for The Athletic, Rorabaugh takes his own stupidity very seriously indeed. He's one of those guys who thinks disagreeing with the obvious makes him provocative and interesting.

I don't know if that is better or worse than someone mixing up Eric and Jordan Staal when voting for an award.
Yeah but he owned up to an honest mistake. Rorabaugh’s ballots have been a joke for 2 years running. Sara Civian tried to defend him but…

Calgary signed Sharangovich, 2 years, $3.1 million AAV

Stars re-signed Evgeni Dadonov, 2 years, $2.25 million AAV. That’s quite a haircut from the contract that just ended, that had a AAV of $5 million and a 2022-23 actual of $6.5 million.

Ross Colton to Colorado for the 2023 second rounder that the Av's got yesterday from Montreal (37th overall). A nice bit of business by Colorado...Alex Newhook traded away for Ross Colton and a first round pick in a deep draft! Colton (a center) a nice bottom six comparable to Newhook (a center) and the first rounder is great to boot!

Last edited:
Back