• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

I was having a conversation with a retired NFL player a couple weeks ago. He was talking about why so many guys move to Tennessee to settle down, even while still playing. They don't have an income tax, they just tax the beejeezus out of alcohol and tobacco. He grew up in in the triangle, and played for NCSU, but now lives outside of Nashville. Said he knows a lot of guys in Tennessee now.
Tennessee didn’t come up when I was looking at tax free states. They make up for the lack of income tax with a sales tax that can get as high as 9.75%

Taxing the beejeezus out of alcohol? Schneikes! Beer and wine are subject to an excise tax of $1.29 and $1.21 per gallon, respectively. Hard liquor has a $4.40 per gallon excise tax. That’s on top of the general 7% state sales tax. And on-premise sales are taxed at 15%

My brother & sister in law scouted Tennessee, Florida, Texas, and Wyoming right after he retired (@52...she doesn't work) and they ended up building a house in Sheridan, Wyoming. So, they live there for 6 months and 1 day every year, then live outside Portland, Maine the rest of the year. Apparently, they like cold temperatures to go along with the tax money they save. They enjoyed the Nashville, Tenn. area, but the humidity affected them adversely (they were swimming in their own sweat...both overweight with no plans to change that). Florida was, well...too Florida, and Texas felt like a foreign country to them. The lesser of all evils, I guess?

Jim

Looks like Ryan Johansen to the Av’s for Galchenyuk with Nashville retaining half of the contract. $4 million dollar cap hit a season for the next two years for Johansen in Colorado. Sounds like the type of trade Winnipeg is going to have to pull off to shed themselves of an albatross contract like Wheeler’s.

Tennessee didn’t come up when I was looking at tax free states. They make up for the lack of income tax with a sales tax that can get as high as 9.75%

Taxing the beejeezus out of alcohol? Schneikes! Beer and wine are subject to an excise tax of $1.29 and $1.21 per gallon, respectively. Hard liquor has a $4.40 per gallon excise tax. That’s on top of the general 7% state sales tax. And on-premise sales are taxed at 15%
Yeah, it's always been ironic to me that Nashville turned into the destination party zone of the South given that the bars on Broadway basically charge arena prices for booze thanks to their tax structure.

Looks like Ryan Johansen to the Av’s for Galchenyuk with Nashville retaining half of the contract. $4 million dollar cap hit a season for the next two years for Johansen in Colorado.
That's the flare indicating the end for JT Compher in Denver. Although I'd MUCH rather have Compher, they'll never get him re-signed for $4 million so this works out in terms of cap math. There have been rumors that they've been shopping Compher's rights for a while now.

Kings send Sean Durzi to Arizona for a 2024 2nd rounder that originally belonged to Montreal.

The Flyers-Blues trade has hit a snag too. Elliotte Friedman says it appears that Torey Krug is leaning against waiving his NTC.

LeBrun says that Nashville is not signing UFA to be Alex Galchenyuk, acquired in the Johansen trade.

Taylor Hall to Chicago...full trade details pending. Is Boston clearing out salary for Orlov before July 1st or making a bigger splash for a forward?

Connor Bedard gets someone to play with in Chicago now!

Bruins send Taylor Hall and the rights to Nick Foligno to the Blackhawks for the rights to Alec Regula and Ian Mitchell. Regula is a 22 year old right shot dman and spent most of the last 3 seasons with AHL Rockford, only playing 22 NHL games with a goal and no assists. He’s a RFA with no arbitration rights. Mitchell is a 24 year old right shot dman and played 35 games for the Blackhawks last season and a total of 82 over 3 seasons. He has 4 goals, 12 assists. He’s a RFA with arbitration rights. He also played 1 season for Bruins coach Jim Montgomery at the University of Denver.

Hall has 2 years left at a $6 million AAV. Foligno will be a UFA next Saturday. Hall had a 16 team NTC and full NMC.

Last edited:
Salary dump. That frees up money for a Bertuzzi contract with Boston. On the Chicago side that helps their cap situation and gives Bedard an actual good player to play with. Makes sense for both sides.

Yeah, just roster clearance by Boston. Foligno is only a paper move, but they'd MUCH rather spend that $6 million in cap space on basically anybody other than Hall. That front office and the Boston press have worn themselves out trying to spin whatever nonsense effort level Hall has been willing to offer into gold for the entirety of that contract. They've been paying $6 million AAV on 3rd line effort and 3rd line production. For a team that's generally pretty savvy about expenditures, Hall had to be a sticking point.

Blackhawks signed Foligno, 1 year/$4 million
Gross...for a team that will not go anywhere, wasn't a young player a better option. I would not even consider Foligno good trade bait to flip at the deadline any longer he is so dinged up.

Chicago has to spend money to get to the cap floor. I would think Foligno would only stay if Chicago overpaid him. A 1 year deal is preferable for Chicago at this stage of their rebuild.

They need some veteran forwards in Chicago to play with, nurture, and protect Bedard. I agree Foligno is very much on the downside, but he definitely fits the bill of an NHL veteran leader.

As long as he is healthy, if Chicago retains half that cap hit at the deadline, they won't have any issues trading him to a contender. If not, I doubt they really care about the minimal asset they would miss out on if they can't trade Foligno.

Foligno's agent deserves a cookie ... convincing Chicago he had other options like that. He's been cooked for two years, but is a gut bucket leader type, so they'll staple a letter on him and pretend he's doing something more than helping them get to the cap floor. Hall was a pretty good get. Despite his less than stellar work ethic, he's got actual top six skill. Foligno? Pure theater.

Kevin Weekes says the Hayes to the Blues deal is back on. The return is a 2024 6th round pick. I’m sure there will be salary retention too. But this is a salary dump, rather than a hockey trade now.

Edit: LeBrun says it’s complete. Flyers retain 50%

Kevin Weekes says the Hayes to the Blues deal is back on. The return is a 2024 6th round pick. I’m sure there will be salary retention too. But this is a salary dump, rather than a hockey trade now.

Edit: LeBrun says it’s complete. Flyers retain 50%
And now Philly has a disgruntled Travis Sanheim that got dragged into that mess for nothing and knows the Flyers are looking to rid themselves of the guy. Just a shitty way to do business by the Flyers, I guess Sanheim is the next guy out the door.

Seth Rorabaugh from the Pittsburgh Tribune Review is the guy that had McDavid 5th in the Hart. He had Pastrnak, Jason Robertson, Ilya Sorokin and Matthew Tkachuk ahead of him.

Back