• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Lightning trade Cory Perry’s rights to Chicago for a 2024 7th rounder.
I like Corey Perry for the dirty work he is willing to do in the post season and he takes a physical beating for doing it, but at this stage of his career he needs to only be on a true Cup Contender, is Chicago planning on flipping him in a sign and trade or are they going to overpay him just like they did Foligno as yet another mentor for Bedard?

I agree with you JB. I am relieved the Canes didn't get a chance to think about overpaying Barbashev.

The counter to that though is that the salary cap in the coming 3-4 years is about to go up by a very large amount. $5 million per season is going to be the new $4 million per season in the coming years.
Yeah, and look ... another deep playoff run and he's more than earned it. I'm just sayin ... his rep is inflated by that Cup run.

I like Corey Perry for the dirty work he is willing to do in the post season and he takes a physical beating for doing it, but at this stage of his career he needs to only be on a true Cup Contender, is Chicago planning on flipping him in a sign and trade or are they going to overpay him just like they did Foligno as yet another mentor for Bedard?
Perry can barely skate anymore. If Chicago does want to keep him, it's purely for instruction in the dark arts for Bedard.

Elliotte Friedman says they’re signing him, 1 year, $4 million.
Why in the name of little green onions would one need to pay Perry $4 million to play hockey for them? He's been making a token $1 mil for several years now. That's some insane stuff there.

Chicago needs to pay SOMEONE to get to the cap floor. Foligno and Perry are vets who under normal circumstances would want absolutely nothing to do with the complete mess Chicago is going to be next season. Chicago doesn't want to commit to anyone longer than 1 season if they can avoid it.

Now if you throw a big pile of money at these types of players on a 1 year? Way more money than they could possibly get in the open market? Suddenly the situation becomes good enough to willingly sign on for next season. Meanwhile Chicago gets guys they can likely flip at the deadline with retention AND they added some not so great old players who should help ensure the tank stays on track for another season while protecting their new superstar a bit.

If you not offering any chance at all at winning, on a 1 year deal, in a state that has an income tax (Its 4.95% flat which isn't bad, I don't know about local tax rates), isn't a massive overpay the only way to get a veteran UFA to sign on to that?

These types of vets will take small money on contenders to try to win the Cup. I don't think any UFA would choose Chicago right now without getting overpaid.

Again, I get it ... but I strongly feel that over-paying by a factor of four just means that you've drilled down on the wrong veteran. Maybe wait and find somebody a couple of million dollars less mercenary and spend your money on ... you know ... production.

Winnipeg is buying out Blake Wheeler. He has 1 year left at $8.25 million.

I’m sure Kyle Davidson is already on the phone to his agent.

I say that we pick him up on the cheap so long as we have the technology to turn him back to his 2015-2019 self.

Nashville is buying out Matt Duchene.

Detroit is buying out recently acquired Kailer Yamamoto.

The Canes could kick the tires on either Duchene or Wheeler for the right terms.
Wheeler’s agent said he wants to play in the Eastern Conference. Duchene’s agent said he’s still processing it. But for the right price? Hell, yeah.

Back