• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

CanadaCanes

Speaking of the NHL Goaltending Carousel 2022 Edition...who does everyone got going where?

It sure sounds like Jack Campbell's camp wants $6 m per on a long term deal and the Leafs sound like they may pass and look elsewhere.

Kuemper would be crazy to do anything other than stay put on a new extension with the Cup Champs.

Husso has next to no NHL resume other than this past season but looks to cash in either in a place like Toronto or Edmonton or maybe New Jersey?

Fleury...Toronto? Edmonton or stay in Minnesota?

Campbell...Detroit? New Jersey?

You also have Georgiev and perhaps Varlamov on the move since both of those guys have legit starters hogging the crease for years to come on their current teams.

The Leafs will be the interesting team to watch.

Jack Campbell might want $6 million per AAV, but he is not going to get that. Not from Toronto and not from anywhere else. He can shop himself all he want's but anything starting with a 5 or higher on AAV for Jack Campbell is absolutely nuts. If Campbell and his agent are really looking for $5++ - 6 million per, he is going to have to go to market to try to find it. I don't think he is going to succeed. The question then becomes whether or not the Leafs are waiting around for Campbell to come crawling back to them. If Campbell isn't careful he is going to end up taking less money from a team that is not a Cup contender after he fails to find the huge bucks he doesn't deserve and Toronto goes with another option.

Oh, and the Leafs will be desperate to get rid of Mrazek somehow.

Kuemper back to Colorado makes a too much sense for both sides, so I expect them to mess that up for no good reason with Kuemper ending up elsewhere.

Husso to me is just this offseason's Chris Dreiger or even Ned. Someone is going to get suckered into way overpaying him and regretting the signing. He will get at least $3 million per on the hope that this past season of 40 games is suddenly now his new normal. He was crap the season before.

Fleury really could end up anywhere, but I doubt its Toronto or Edmonton.

New Jersey definitely needs a real goalie if they are going to continue their efforts to become relevant again.

The first shoe to fall will spring the rest of what happens. No idea what the first move will be, but it will be another interesting offseason where many goalies with questionable health and small sample sizes are on the move. Its a good season to not be looking for a goalie.

Rumor is Jim Montgomery to coach in Boston
And the Red Wings are hiring Tampa assistant Derek Lalonde. He’s been college assistant and head coach in the USHL, ECHL and AHL. He’s been an assistant in Tampa for 4 years and was hired when Detroit GM Steve Yzerman was still running the Bolts.

Lalonde, I get. He and Yzerman know each other and he's got a rep as a sharp tactician. Montgomery? Meh. Not sure how much his sobriety problems were the issue in Dallas versus him just being a standard, boring NHL boss. Dallas hired him out of college hockey so I guess the thinking for Boston is that he combines NHL experience with a background working with youth ... but I dunno.

Last edited:
Boughner fired in SJ
The whole staff too. He had 1 year left at $1.5 million. Everyone is taking the firing as an indication that San Jose is about to name a new GM. With 1 year at relatively low money, whacking Boughner was an easy decision.

Yeah, one assumes that the Sharks were just waiting on a new management decision before they pulled the plug on Boogy and his staff. There was next to no chance that he'd hang onto his job unless they decided to just bump everybody in house up one role ... which was itself highly unlikely.

Scott Mellanby's name seems to be emerging as a favorite for the GM job in San Jose. Have fun with those long contract obligations you'll be inheriting, big fella.

Yeah, one assumes that the Sharks were just waiting on a new management decision before they pulled the plug on Boogy and his staff. There was next to no chance that he'd hang onto his job unless they decided to just bump everybody in house up one role ... which was itself highly unlikely.

Scott Mellanby's name seems to be emerging as a favorite for the GM job in San Jose. Have fun with those long contract obligations you'll be inheriting, big fella.
It’s not that bad but the guys who have term left are ancient, aside from Hertl. His new contract kicks in, that’s for 8 years, he’ll be 36 at the end. Couture (38) and Karlsson (37) still have 5, Vlasic 4 (39) and Burns 3 (40). No one else in their roster has a contract that extends beyond the end of the 2023-24 season.

Lightning sign Nick Paul, 7 years/$22.05 million.
Pretty good business for a middle six guy who showed up big for them in the playoffs. That term will take him to 34, but he's not exactly a speed merchant as it is. You'd think a grinder like Paul can carry value through that term.

It’s not that bad but the guys who have term left are ancient, aside from Hertl. His new contract kicks in, that’s for 8 years, he’ll be 36 at the end. Couture (38) and Karlsson (37) still have 5, Vlasic 4 (39) and Burns 3 (40). No one else in their roster has a contract that extends beyond the end of the 2023-24 season.
It's not that bad except for how bad it is :0)

But imagine a team in 2024-25 with over $34 million in LTIR credits.

It's not that bad except for how bad it is :0)

But imagine a team in 2024-25 with over $34 million in LTIR credits.
It’s only 5 guys. But they’re going to be as old as me when their contracts are done.

The Athletic says the Jets are working on a deal to hire Rick Bowness. As head coach.

WTAF?

It’s only 5 guys. But they’re going to be as old as me when their contracts are done.
5 guys who are pretty much cooked NOW, Burn's halfway decent last season aside, much less 2 years from now when they all will still have term left. Those deals were nuts, and they won nothing.

Julien Gauthier and Alex Georgiev want out of NYR. Gauthier 1st round Canes pick in 2016, pretty much a bust.

Also Ryan Strome and Andrew Copp will be available as free agents

Julien Gauthier and Alex Georgiev want out of NYR. Gauthier 1st round Canes pick in 2016, pretty much a bust.

Also Ryan Strome and Andrew Copp will be available as free agents
Julien Gauthier re-signs with the Rangers, 1 year, 1 way, $800k

Brock Boeser re-signs with Vancouver, 3 years/$19.95 million.

Boeser had 23 goals and 23 Assists in 71 games this season. You better believe Nino's agent was all smiles when the terms of Boeser's new contract was announced.

Not the same type of player of course but Nino >>> Boeser to me. If Boeser's 20 something Goals a year is worth $6.65 million its hard to see Nino at under $6 million per.

Watch out for NJ and Nino, they have the cap room to outbid everyone for Nino and he would fit a need in their lineup.

Last edited:
Back