• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23, 2023-24 Hurricanes Prospects and Minors Thread - Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that isn't great news for the Canes. I definitely don't want to have to share an AHL affiliate again as we have done in some prior seasons.

I wonder if this is a result of the Canes prospects performing poorly this season with next year likely being more of the same not so great prospects and no Kochetkov.

Given that the Canes have gone so heavily into both Europe and College in recent drafts and that this trend looks likely to continue with Russian players remaining distressed assets for the foreseeable future, there's less pressure on the traditional AHL affiliation.

One of the responses on the original tweet claims it’s par for the course from the Wolves owners. If they have 1 bad season, they move on. That tweeter’s location puts him in Rockford, so he’s probably an Ice Hogs fan. But the Canes are the 4th NHL team they‘ve been affiliated with since the Thrashers ended a 10 year run in 2011.

One of the responses on the original tweet claims it’s par for the course from the Wolves owners. If they have 1 bad season, they move on. That tweeter’s location puts him in Rockford, so he’s probably an Ice Hogs fan. But the Canes are the 4th NHL team they‘ve been affiliated with since the Thrashers ended a 10 year run in 2011.
And the Thrashers never really had a full affiliation. Those Wolves teams were typically made up of about half Thrashers' prospects and half direct contract players. And look, they run that franchise like a stand alone business, which is fine. If the NHL affiliation isn't giving them what they want then they do something else.

And the Thrashers never really had a full affiliation. Those Wolves teams were typically made up of about half Thrashers' prospects and half direct contract players. And look, they run that franchise like a stand alone business, which is fine. If the NHL affiliation isn't giving them what they want then they do something else.
Their deep pockets have always allowed them to do that. Even the “vets” under contract to the Canes have reasonably hefty AHL salaries. Last year, Noesen, Lyon, Potsie and others had big AHL salaries. But like you said, if they want to go the independent route, that’s their business. It will probably drive salaries up across the league though, there will be a lot of competition for the tweeters or AHL vets.

Sean Shapiro throws some cold water on the notion of the Wolves going independent. Most significantly, the AHL has a rule that no more than 6 skaters can have played more than 260 NHL games. A rule out in place because the early Wolves/Thrashers teams did exactly what JB said…loaded up on vets and dominated what is supposed to be at least nominally a development league. So they could probably find those guys easily. But finding others to fill out their roster who aren’t on NHL contracts? Maybe a bit harder. And the league isn’t expanding beyond 32 teams; that’s why the Golden Knights had to buy an existing franchise to set up their team in Henderson. Could a hybrid model work? Sure, but isn’t that what they’re doing now? The Canes supply prospects and the Wolves chase AHL vets.

Wolves had a 5-2 lead with 10 to play. Milwaukee scored 3 in a 3:52 span to tie it but Ponomarev got the OT winner. They’re still 4 points behind Rockford with 5 to play and a game in hand.

Well that isn't great news for the Canes. I definitely don't want to have to share an AHL affiliate again as we have done in some prior seasons.

I wonder if this is a result of the Canes prospects performing poorly this season with next year likely being more of the same not so great prospects and no Kochetkov.
Young pretty much comes out and says that's exactly what it is, and that the Canes management is not committed to winning at the AHL level.

Can't really be surprised that the NHL team is focused on going for the NHL championship and not so much the AHL one.

I still think the Canes AHL affiliate in Charlotte is a no brainer, I realize there was some friction there that had them depart the Queen City but it makes too much sense to not grow your prospects in the same state, two hours away from where your big team plays and have fans around the state follow your affiliate and the organization as a whole.

I still think the Canes AHL affiliate in Charlotte is a no brainer, I realize there was some friction there that had them depart the Queen City but it makes too much sense to not grow your prospects in the same state, two hours away from where your big team plays and have fans around the state follow your affiliate and the organization as a whole.
It was great to jump in the car and go to Charlotte on a weekend the Canes were on the road and the Checkers were home. But that bridge is burned. And with the AHL adamant about keeping a 32 team league, the only way for the Canes to have their own AHL team is to buy an existing franchise.

Young pretty much comes out and says that's exactly what it is, and that the Canes management is not committed to winning at the AHL level.

Can't really be surprised that the NHL team is focused on going for the NHL championship and not so much the AHL one.
Um, we have won the last TWO AHL titles between Chicago and Charlotte. It's a drought between prospect groups and their development curve, Wendell, geez...

Not with current ownership in Charlotte, it's not. Those people are snakes.

Maybe Dundon can money-whip Kahn…or find an owner desperate to get out.
Yeah, I just don't don't think he's interested in expending the capital resources that would take ... on any of those fronts. He COULD, but it just doesn't seem like the way the last couple of years have played out. The Canes have clearly decided it's more cost effective to let prospects mature in college and Europe than in the minors. Then they use the AHL as a combination holding pen (for depth) and finishing school (for prospects). I figure they're much more likely to cut an affiliate sharing deal with one or maybe two other clubs. I could be wrong, but that's definitely the way the wind has been blowing for a while now.

Yeah, I just don't don't think he's interested in expending the capital resources that would take ... on any of those fronts. He COULD, but it just doesn't seem like the way the last couple of years have played out. The Canes have clearly decided it's more cost effective to let prospects mature in college and Europe than in the minors. Then they use the AHL as a combination holding pen (for depth) and finishing school (for prospects). I figure they're much more likely to cut an affiliate sharing deal with one or maybe two other clubs. I could be wrong, but that's definitely the way the wind has been blowing for a while now.
Which is one of the reasons cited by the Wolves for leaving. The team’s best prospect is tied up in Russia for 2 more years. Their other top prospects are in college. Theoretically, there are only 4 CHL players coming in, assuming they’re all signed…Hamrla, Robidas, Orr and Montgomery. And the 2 Finns under contract, Koivunen and Heimosalmi. Maybe Fensore from BU, maybe Wall from Penn State. But that’s it. And who knows who of the current crop won’t be back, either by trade, promotion or non-tender. We know Koochie won’t be there. Stromwall, Dugan, Dzingel, MacEachern, Lagesson and Sawchenko are all UFAs, Mattheos, Fitzgerald and Lajoie are RFAs with arbitration rights. And I can see Matthews being non-tendered

Wolves lose in OT to Iowa. Rockford lost to Milwaukee, so the Wolves trail the Ice Hogs by 1 point for the last playoff spot in the Central Division. They’re playing the same teams over the last 4 games. Wolves are at Rockford on Tuesday, at Milwaukee on Friday, then close at home with Grand Rapids on Saturday and Manitoba on Sunday. Rockford has the Wolves at home, then on the weekend they‘re at Grand Rapids, home for Manitoba and at Milwaukee.

I have as much faith in the Wolves making the playoffs as I do the Canes securing the Metro. So like 55%/45% for.

Through April 9th

Glen Trikozov LW (2nd Round 2022 VHL (Russian Minors) Omeskie Krylia/MHL Omeskie Yastreby (Russian Juniors)/KHL Avangard Omsk

With Omeskie Krylia: 25 Games 5 Goals 5 Assists -7 Did not make playoffs
With Omeskie Yastreby: 25 Games 14 Goals 15 Assists +13 *** PLAYOFFS 11 Games 5 Goals 6 Assists +4 Yastreby won their 3rd round series 3-1 they will face Alexander Pelevin and Nizhny Novgorod in the MHL championship.
With Avangard Omsk: 1 Game 0 Goals 0 Assists Even Made playoffs but I doubt Trikozov will play here

Simon Forsmark LHD (4th Round 2022 J20 (Juniors) Orebro & Timra IK/SweHL Orebro & Timra/Swe-1 AIK)

With J20 Orebro: 33 Games 6 Goals 24 Assists +3
With J20 Timra: 8 Games 0 Goals 2 Assists -8 **** PLAYOFFS 6 Games 0 Goals 1 Assists -1 Timra J20 won their 2nd round series 2-1. Then they played one game against Leksands (which they lost) and then 1 game against Djurgardens (which they won). All of these seem to be classified as 'playoff games'. I have no idea how these playoffs work.
With SHL Orebro: 9 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists +4
With SHL Timra: 2 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even *** PLAYOFFS 5 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists -1 Timra was eliminated from SHL playoffs in 3-4 first round loss. Back to the Juniors playoffs for Forsmark
With AIK: 5 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists -1

Alexander Pelevin LHD (7th round 2022 MHL (Russian Juniors) Chaika Nizhny Novgorod): 43 Games 2 Goals 17 Assists +20 PLAYOFFS 11 Games 2 Goals 4 Assists +6 Nizhny Novgorod will play Glen Trikozov and Yastreby in the championship.

Ville Koivunen W (2nd Round 2021 Liiga Karpat/AHL Chicago):

With Karpat: 52 Games 12 Goals 16 Assists +9 PLAYOFFS 3 Games 0 Goals 1 Assist Even
With Chicago: 8 Games 0 Goals 0 Assist -2 **** Currently in Chicago

Justin Robidas C (5th Round 2021 QMJHL Val-D'Or/Quebec):

With Val-D'Or: 27 Games 14 Goals 28 Assists +10
With Quebec: 33 Games 11 Goals 25 Assists +12 PLAYOFFS 4 Games 3 Goal 5 Assists +4 Quebec swept their first round series 4-0

Bryce Montgomery RHD (6th round 2021 OHL London/USHL Cedar Rapids):

With London: 2 Games 1 Goal 0 Assists -2
With Cedar Rapids: 47 Games 6 Goals 11 Assists +6 ****

Alexander Nikishin LHD (3rd round 2020 KHL SKA St. Petersburg):
65 Games 11 Goals 44 Assists +19 PLAYOFFS 14 Games 3 Goals 4 Assists +8 St. Petersburg tied in their 3rd round series 2-2

Domenick Fensore LHD (3rd round 2019 Hockey East Boston U. Sr.):
37 Games 9 Goals 22 Assists +13 *** BU lost in the Frozen 4 Semi's. Fensore's season is over. Unless he goes back for a 5th year the Canes have until August 15th to sign Fensore or he becomes an NHL UFA.

Cade Webber LHD (4th round 2019 Hockey East Boston U. Jr.):
40 Games 1 Goals 5 Assists +4 *** *** BU lost in the Frozen 4 Semi's. Webber's season is over.

Tuukka Tieksola RW (4th round 2019 AHL Chicago/Liiga Karpat):

With Chicago: 48 Games 8 Goals 14 Assists +3 *** Back in Chicago
With Karpat: 11 Games 3 Goals 2 Assists +1 PLAYOFFS 3 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even.

Kirill Slepets W (5th round 2019 KHL Amur Khabarovsk/VHL (Russian Minors) Sakol Krasnoyarsk):

With Amur Khabarovsk: 17 Games 0 Goals 3 Assists -1 *** Khabarovsk did not make the KHL playoffs
With Sakol Krasnoyarsk: 19 Games 6 Goals 9 Assists +9 *** PLAYOFFS 16 Games 6 Goals 0 Assists +6 Krasnoyarsk won their 3rd round series 4-1. They are in the finals (which start on 4/16)

Patrik Hamrla G (3rd Round 2021 QMJHL Rimouski):
19-18-4 2.89 GAA .891 Sv% PLAYOFFS 4-1 2.51 GAA .887 Sv% Rimouski won their 1st round series 4-1

Jacob Kucharski G (7th round 2018 NCHC U of Nebraska-Omaha Sr./AHL Chicago):

With U of Nebraska-Omaha: 8-9-2 2.72 GAA .904 Sv%
With Chicago: 0-1-0 17.98 GAA .500 Sv% *** Now with Chicago (and yes those stats are real!)

*****PROSPECTS WHOSE SEASON HAS ENDED*****

Alexander Perevalov LW (3rd Round 2022 MHL (Russian Juniors) Loko Yaroslavl & Loko-76 Yaroslavl/KHL Kunlun Red Star)
Cruz Lucius RW (4th Round 2022 Big 10 Wisconsin Fr.)
Vladimir Grudinin LHD (5th Round 2022 KHL CSKA Moskova/VHL (Russian Minors) Zvezda Moskova/MHL (Russian Juniors) Krasnaya Armiya Moskova)
Scott Morrow RHD (2nd Round 2021 Hockey East UMASS-Amherst So.)
Alexsi Heimosalmi RHD (2nd Round 2021 Liiga Assat)
Jackson Blake W (4th Round 2021 NCHC U. of North Dakota Fr.)
Robert Orr C (5th Round 2021 QMJHL Gatineau/Acadie-Bathurst)
Nikita Guslistov C (7th round 2021 KHL Severstal Cherepovets)
Joel Nystrom RHD (7th round 2021 SweHL Farjestad)
Zion Nybeck LW (4th round 2020 Swe-1 AIK)

Lucas Mercuri C (6th round 2020 Hockey East UMASS-Amherst So.)
Domenick Fensore LHD (3rd round 2019 Hockey East Boston U. Sr.)
Cade Webber LHD (4th round 2019 Hockey East Boston U. Jr.)
Kevin Wall RW (6th round 2019 Big 10 Penn St. Sr.)
Massimo Rizzo C (7th round 2019 UCHC U. of Denver So.)

Dominick Bokk LW (Acquired via Trade DEL Frankfurt)

Jakub Vondras G (6th round 2022 Czechia U20 HC Plzen/Czechia2 Draci Sumperk)
Nikita Quapp G (6th round 2021 DEL Berlin/DEL2 Lausitzer)

Yegor Naumov G (7th round 2021 Hasn't played anywhere for 2 full seasons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back