• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

The team reveals this year's reverse retro jersey

This is a lazy design concept, but at least the finished product is OK. Not great, but OK. How have we gotten this far into this dumb thing and not simply done a black version of the original jersey design? People here have only been asking for that since the late 90s.

Mike Forman, Chief Marketing Officer, said they were just looking for “an appealing design without much of a gimmick factor”. They’ll be wearing black helmets, pants and gloves with the red jersey, which explains that combo at the end of last year.

Yeah, I get that ... for this year at least. They already have a new 3rd jersey and will have a Stadium Series jersey coming out, on top of the usual Whalers thing. It's a lot.

Yeah, I get that ... for this year at least. They already have a new 3rd jersey and will have a Stadium Series jersey coming out, on top of the usual Whalers thing. It's a lot.
Next year, they should be back to just 4 jerseys…white, black, Whalers and whichever red version they decide on. But they’re all existing designs. Don’t forget, next year is the last year for adidas, so we probably won’t see anything new from anyone other than outdoor games. But that means a whole new round of new designs for 2024-25.

The boys at The Athletic ranked all the reverse retro jerseys. They ranked the Canes 23rd, which is fair to me. There are more than a few teams that used less imagination than the Canes. The Panthers were ranked first. I really like the Panthers jersey, they took their shoulder logo and put it in the front. The Kings were 2nd. They brought back the crown and purple. The Ducks brought back the movie logo but put it on their current color scheme. The Habs paid homage to the Expos with the primary color, while the Devils brought in colors from the Colorado Rockies. They didn’t change the logo, though.

Yeah, I figured that was about right and then I looked at the rest of their list and ... whew. No accounting for taste and PLENTY of accounting for specific nostalgia. Example ... I figure nobody raised outside of western Penn really gives a crap about the robo-penguin, yet that gets high marks from most of these rankings. Whatever. At least Carolina's not rolling out something ridiculous ... like just putting out a striped Christmas sweater with your city's name on it in basic block letters. And the league let TWO teams do that. Florida "wins." That I can support. I love the Golden Seals nod from San Jose and of course the Kings' crown. Most of the rest of them are either super obvious or meh.

IMO if they're gonna stuck with this concept, they need to go with about a 5 year gap to keep it fresh. And maybe that will give Toronto enough time to come up with an idea. Like any idea.

Both the Athletic and ESPN have Canes at #1 in their power rankings. The sense of entitlement is going to become powerful.

The retros aren't bad once you actually got to see them in decent lighting. Not what I would have chosen but they're OK, I'll probably grab one.

If any STH folks in here are tied up for that Sunday, November 6th 5 pm game against the Leafs and are thinking of selling a pair of their tickets, please drop me a message. Wanted to check here first before venturing out into the wild...

If any STH folks in here are tied up for that Sunday, November 6th 5 pm game against the Leafs and are thinking of selling a pair of their tickets, please drop me a message. Wanted to check here first before venturing out into the wild...
PM sent, a friend of mine who runs a big ticket group may have a pair of extras that game. (Edited: Sorry, I was too slow or they went fast)

Last edited:
7 points of a possible 10 on a west coast road trip? Hell, I'm happy when my team just breaks even on a road trip, so I'm good with this. Sure, the losses in Edmonton and Calgary were bothersome, but eff it, the season is still very young and things will align eventually. I'm still used to the Hurricanes not figuring their shit out until December.

7 points of a possible 10 on a west coast road trip? Hell, I'm happy when my team just breaks even on a road trip, so I'm good with this. Sure, the losses in Edmonton and Calgary were bothersome, but eff it, the season is still very young and things will align eventually. I'm still used to the Hurricanes not figuring their shit out until December.
I'd rather they start slow and end fast, than what happened last year.

I'd rather they start slow and end fast, than what happened last year.
We all would but there’s not really a correlation like that.

We lost to the best 2 teams on the trip. Which is good I suppose.

We still seem to not have much of a solution for other teams turning up the physical. And they seem to be targeting Slavin with more of that.

Our PP and PK fell apart last season at the end. That doesn’t appear to have been resolved are the issues the same as we faced last season?

Back