• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

LeBrun tweeted that he’s hearing the Canes are talking to multiple teams about Ethan Bear. At this point, we may get the future considerations we sent to Vegas back from someone.

Canucks cannot just add Bear to their current roster, they would be over the cap. They could make room by sending Dman Jack Rathbone (waivers exempt) down, or any of forwards Andrei Kuzmenko, Vasily Podkolzin, Nils Hoglander or Nils Aman all of who are waivers exempt.

Canes wouldn't have wanted an NHL body back.

----EDIT ----

Ok, OR, per Elliot Friedman, the Canes could retain some of Bear's contract, which apparently is what they did.

So its Bear, $400k retained + 'an AHL player' for as of yet known draft pick.

Which to me begs the question 'why did we even qualify Ethan Bear? I guess we will see what the pick is, but paying what in the end amounts to a bit over $500k in actual money + whoever this 'AHL' player is for whatever this draft pick is doesn't sound like great business.

Last edited:
With Lane Pederson going the other way that is a bit better for the Canes. Pederson was useless to the Canes and drawing a $750k salary in the minors. Even with the retain on Bear we end up paying out less money the rest of the season because we managed to dump Pederson too.

---edit, I don't know why the math was twisting me in circles today ---
That $400k retained doesn't impact anything cap wise for us. We are ok either way when Pacioretty returns and could keep the current roster as is.

Last edited:
So why did we qualify Bear? All I can think is that at the time, the only candidates for the 3rd pair under contract with NHL experience were Gardiner and Chatfield. Joey Keane was qualified the same day as Bear. And, rather than let him walk for nothing, at a minimum it gave Waddell a tradeable asset. We didn’t know that his poor play in pre-season was going to crater whatever trade value he had after last season.

Coghlan was acquired 2 days after Bear and Keane were qualified. Was that deal already in the works, or did it just fall into Waddell’s lap after QOs were sent out? If the former then qualifying Bear didn’t make sense. If the latter, see the above.

---edit, I don't know why the math was twisting me in circles today ---
That $400k retained doesn't impact anything cap wise for us. We are ok either way when Pacioretty returns and could keep the current roster as is.
With all the heavy lifting you do in here to make sense of all the cap stuff for all of us you get a free pass!!!!

Canucks cannot just add Bear to their current roster, they would be over the cap. They could make room by sending Dman Jack Rathbone (waivers exempt) down, or any of forwards Andrei Kuzmenko, Vasily Podkolzin, Nils Hoglander or Nils Aman all of who are waivers exempt.

Canes wouldn't have wanted an NHL body back.

----EDIT ----

Ok, OR, per Elliot Friedman, the Canes could retain some of Bear's contract, which apparently is what they did.

So its Bear, $400k retained + 'an AHL player' for as of yet known draft pick.

Which to me begs the question 'why did we even qualify Ethan Bear? I guess we will see what the pick is, but paying what in the end amounts to a bit over $500k in actual money + whoever this 'AHL' player is for whatever this draft pick is doesn't sound like great business.
I think it was just the uncertainty of the 5/6 spot with De Haan coming in and just playing really well. With Vancouver taking Pederson's hefty $750K I don't mind this at all; sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette which you want to eat out of a Stanley Cup.

Is it just me or has KK been kicked out of the faceoff circle a *lot* lately? Since I watched the last two games on my phone because Mrs NoMich wants to watch anything but sports, I don't know if Tripp has talked about this issue. If so, what has been his observation on why this is happening?

KK has been kicked out of the circle a lot. The Islanders game it seemed one the linesman was basically out to get him. Not saying that KK doesn't cheat in the circle, but I will say he needs to watch his whining about getting kicked out because of it becasues that just makes it worse.

KK has been kicked out of the circle a lot. The Islanders game it seemed one the linesman was basically out to get him. Not saying that KK doesn't cheat in the circle, but I will say he needs to watch his whining about getting kicked out because of it becasues that just makes it worse.
He’s taken 97 faceoffs so far. Necas has taken 54 but we don’t know how many of those were by design and how many were becuase KK was kicked out. KK is winning 54.6% of his draws, Necas is at 50%. There is only 1 “regular” center below 50% and it’s Staal at 48%.

Not that it’s a big deal but it’s my first game this year and it appears the STH entrance is no more? Rookie mistake; switched sides of the arena this year and the wrong lane of my new entrance into the parking lot shoved me all the way around to my side from last year. Oh well, go canes!

Not that it’s a big deal but it’s my first game this year and it appears the STH entrance is no more? Rookie mistake; switched sides of the arena this year and the wrong lane of my new entrance into the parking lot shoved me all the way around to my side from last year. Oh well, go canes!
Correct, the STH entrances have gone the way of the dodo. The explanation/excuse is that there are too many now to process through a single door.

Interesting article in The Athletic today on Martinook's play so far this season. Also addresses a frequent complaint about Roddy's frequent use of him on the top line. Here's part of that conversation:

“They don’t know what they’re talking about,” the coach said of critics. “If that’s what they’re saying, they have zero knowledge of hockey because the only reason he’s there is because somebody’s not doing their job.”

Brind’Amour goes on to say that it isn't about productivity - it's about changing the dynamic and that it happens almost every time.

Interesting article in The Athletic today on Martinook's play so far this season. Also addresses a frequent complaint about Roddy's frequent use of him on the top line. Here's part of that conversation:

“They don’t know what they’re talking about,” the coach said of critics. “If that’s what they’re saying, they have zero knowledge of hockey because the only reason he’s there is because somebody’s not doing their job.”

Brind’Amour goes on to say that it isn't about productivity - it's about changing the dynamic and that it happens almost every time.
The Corsi numbers were surprising, but the bottom line is putting the puck in the net. And Martinook hasn’t helped Aho’s line do that.

Back