• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Absent an injury we din't know about, I would like to see that 4th line get a shake up. They have not been great the last few games. Would like to see Stepan get a break here and maybe see if Drury can get something going with Noesen and Stastny.

Absent an injury we din't know about, I would like to see that 4th line get a shake up. They have not been great the last few games. Would like to see Stepan get a break here and maybe see if Drury can get something going with Noesen and Stastny.
I don't think they've been effective 5v5 all season, other than isolated scenarios here and there. It's well past time to shake up that group.

Canes are practicing at 11 this morning, so we could get a preview of tomorrow‘s lines.

The track for Nicole has moved a bit north. There is a hurricane warning from Boca Raton (which is north of Sunrise/Fort Lauderdale airport) north to the Daytona Beach area. There is a hurricane watch/tropical storm warning in effect from Hallandale Beach north to Boca Raton. It’s now forecasted to hit overnight on Wednesday. The wind field is pretty big, so it could be a rough ride in this afternoon, but definitely after the game tomorrow.

RBA seen uncontent with lines 1 and or 2. I don’t think KK-TT-Jarvis is something he wants. And Aho-Necas-Svetch might be ok with some time together but…. I think maybe
KK to 4
Stastny to 1 or 2
Turbo to 3
Drury to 1 or 2.

Could be more than just 4th line in the shaker.
Certainly ... although that one is a given. The 4th line has been borderline terrible 5v5 throughout the early season. The first line has been sluggish to erratic from the start, but Brindy thus far has seemed to want to let them work through their issues. Turbo is a notoriously slow starter who almost always seems to spring to life around Thanksgiving and if he gets going it solves a lot of issues. I could see him sticking with them, largely because the 2nd offensive line is producing just fine and I don't see the point of putting Aho with Svech and Necas when those two have been just fine playing with a more distribution minded center. I'm guess the mucking around will come in the bottom six. Could be wrong, but we'll see. Three quality opponents await, so I'd guess he won't want to get too dramatic with the tinkering.

Drury to 3rd and Martinook to 4th would be what I would do. Then Martinook or Stepan get to ride the bench for a while.

The Martinook-Staal-Fast line is #1 in the league in some advanced metrics. That line isn't going anywhere for a while.

RBA said that he views Drury as a center because his 2 way game is better suited to that position. So if he goes into the lineup, that’s where he’ll be. The team is also headed west after playing Edmonton on Thursday, with games in Denver and Chicago on Saturday/Monday and the team didn’t have a spare forward.

Really? I don't think they are anywhere close to as good as they were last year with Niederreiter.
Per moneypuck. Expected Goals% 5v5 for lines that have played at least 8 games together:

nameteamxGoalsPercentage
Forsberg-Johansen-DucheneNSH
0.79​
Martinook-Staal-FastCAR
0.77​
Parise-Barzal-PalmieriNYI
0.75​
Engvall-Kampf-Aston-ReeseTOR
0.74​
Zucker-Malkin-RustPIT
0.73​
Luostarinen-Lundell-WhiteFLA
0.71​
Zegras-Strome-TerryANA
0.71​
Stephenson-Eichel-StoneVGK
0.7​
Tkachuk-Barkov-VerhaegheFLA
0.7​
Stamkos-Point-KucherovTBL
0.7​
Marchessault-Karlsson-SmithVGK
0.68​
Kreider-Zibanejad-KakkoNYR
0.66​
Robertson-Pavelski-HintzDAL
0.65​
Killorn-Paul-StamkosTBL
0.65​

If Corsi is more your thing they are 2nd there too as well as 2nd in Fenwick

Yes they DON'T score because they have no finishers, but they dominate zone time and possession substantially.

Yeah, that line has been REALLY good at their primary objective ... which is to stop the other team from generating offense, primarily by dominating possession. And that's how Brindy has been using them, as a proper shutdown line. Yeah, they probably offered more goal scoring threat last year, especially during the two stretches where Nino was insanely hot. But let's not forget, Nino was only really effective as a scorer during those hot streaks and as good as he is as a puck retriever, his line has been better in that regard without him.

I'd love to see more scoring from Staal's line, but I'd also love to see some 5v5 scoring from a 4th line that 100% has the talent to provide it. The 1st and 2nd lines are gonna balance out their production over time, more than likely. My lasting concern with this bunch is generating something more than possession with the bottom 6. Patches will help out when he comes on line, as that will push a more offense-minded winger down, but until then ... it's a concern.

The advanced stats might be good for the line but I am not going to think they would be any worse with a better player on it, who ever that might be.

Back