• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

The Corsi numbers were surprising, but the bottom line is putting the puck in the net. And Martinook hasn’t helped Aho’s line do that.
Does Aho still have a line? Who's with him? He seems to be a one man show out there most of the time. It's time to reset the thinking on Aho's line mates. We're barely holding our own out there with the other teams with only one line producing.

Does Aho still have a line? Who's with him? He seems to be a one man show out there most of the time. It's time to reset the thinking on Aho's line mates. We're barely holding our own out there with the other teams with only one line producing.
And replace his wings with whom? Swap wings with KK? Staal? Stastny? There is no help coming from Chicago, so you have to play mix and match with the 12 forwards on the roster.

And replace his wings with whom? Swap wings with KK? Staal? Stastny? There is no help coming from Chicago, so you have to play mix and match with the 12 forwards on the roster.
Doing nothing is lame. The Aho line's been MIA, so yeah, swap Noesen and Stepan. Do something.

Doing nothing is lame. The Aho line's been MIA, so yeah, swap Noesen and Stepan. Do something.
Neither of whom can skate with Aho. You think he’s a 1 man band now, wait until you put 4th line wingers with him.

We‘re 6-2-1. We have the 2nd best points % in the conference, 3rd best in the league. It’s a little early to start pushing the panic button, isn’t it?

Neither of whom can skate with Aho. You think he’s a 1 man band now, wait until you put 4th line wingers with him.

We‘re 6-2-1. We have the 2nd best points % in the conference, 3rd best in the league. It’s a little early to start pushing the panic button, isn’t it?
Just like with corsi. The underlying numbers will eventually win out.

They’re not passing the eye test. Sure they’re getting points but there are issues. Issues with our top line. Issues with the Staal line. Issues on D and the PP and the PK. Issues with certain players. Issues with our star player getting rung up and no response. Those issues need to get addressed and the extent that they do or do not get addressed will determine how far they go.

Last season when people pointed out problems some would reply that they’re one of the top teams in the league. We saw how that worked out in the playoffs. There was something off about them last season and it’s still not right. We don’t look like the better team on the ice for significant parts of theses games and we should against a lot of these teams.

pointing out these issues isn’t panicking it’s kind of the point of a message board. I guess we should just say “we’re great, another’s great 2 points all is well”.

Reactions: JFG

Better Noesen than Martinook.

Just like with corsi. The underlying numbers will eventually win out.

They’re not passing the eye test. Sure they’re getting points but there are issues. Issues with our top line. Issues with the Staal line. Issues on D and the PP and the PK. Issues with certain players. Issues with our star player getting rung up and no response. Those issues need to get addressed and the extent that they do or do not get addressed will determine how far they go.

Last season when people pointed out problems some would reply that they’re one of the top teams in the league. We saw how that worked out in the playoffs. There was something off about them last season and it’s still not right. We don’t look like the better team on the ice for significant parts of theses games and we should against a lot of these teams.

pointing out these issues isn’t panicking it’s kind of the point of a message board. I guess we should just say “we’re great, another’s great 2 points all is well”.
Pointing out issues isn’t panicking. Advocating for replacement of both of your top line wingers is. Are they passing the eye test? No, they’re not. But Corsi King Martinook isn’t getting pucks in the back of the net for his linemates.

What are your credentials to second guess one with a hockey podcast? 🤣

I didn’t suggest that. I am concerned about Jarvis. Hope he’s ok.

I am frustrated with TT and would be fine if we traded him for someone bigger who can skate with our top 6 and isn’t a black hole so frequently. I feel like if TT had one ounce of give a shit he’d be one of the best in the league.

I think at this point we have to ride it out hoping Jarvy gets his game back and that TT decides to show up. Otherwise it’s more first line Martinook for us.

And fyi I mean all these posts in a friendly way. Except the ones to that one guy who only posts to annoy Jeffbear.

And fyi I mean all these posts in a friendly way. Except the ones to that one guy who only posts to annoy Jeffbear.
This I know. The thing is, RBA raised the bar and the team ain’t playing up to the increased expectations. And we’re not getting happy speak from him either, none of this “I liked our game” BS.

Pointing out issues isn’t panicking. Advocating for replacement of both of your top line wingers is. Are they passing the eye test? No, they’re not. But Corsi King Martinook isn’t getting pucks in the back of the net for his linemates.
I mean, you're right of course ... but there ARE options. Stasny hasn't had the most seamless of integrations, but he IS a top 6 forward. Has been his whole career. He can't skate with Aho, but not being able to actually skate didn't stop him from potting 30 goals last season. And despite his usage here, Noesen is also a scoring line winger, not a grinder. Again, his speed has always been a problem for him but he wouldn't be in over his head with the kind of usage Aho's line has been getting the last couple of games.

I get that Brindy has a lot invested in Jarvis, but the kid hasn't been on his game for a couple of weeks and Turbo is wallowing in another of his sloth-like starts to the season. Pragmatic coaches try something different eventually. Martinook is good for a limited jolt ... he helps possession and brings energy when he's healthy. But that's it. There are others who could bring a little bit of scoring danger. Aho's actually playing quite well, but he has to be frustrated with his support at this point.

Something to keep our eyes on midweek. Subtropical Storm Nicole has formed in the Caribbean. The center of the forecast cone shows it making landfall in the early morning hours of Thursday, east of Lake Okeechobee, somewhere around Palm Beach or Martin counties, but the southern side of the cone is as far south as Miami. The Canes play the Panthers on Wednesday and have to make a quick flight out of town to host the Oilers on Thursday, so they could be departing under less than ideal circumstances, depending on how wide the storm is and where/when it makes landfall.

Something to keep our eyes on midweek. Subtropical Storm Nicole has formed in the Caribbean. The center of the forecast cone shows it making landfall in the early morning hours of Thursday, east of Lake Okeechobee, somewhere around Palm Beach or Martin counties, but the southern side of the cone is as far south as Miami. The Canes play the Panthers on Wednesday and have to make a quick flight out of town to host the Oilers on Thursday, so they could be departing under less than ideal circumstances, depending on how wide the storm is and where/when it makes landfall.
Just move it with a Sharpie

Maybe they need to experience what the intensity of being a Hurricane is all about....extra barf bags, please.

Jim

Jack Drury was recalled from Chicago. No word on why, whether there is an injury, etc.

Back