• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Kochetkov was recalled on an emergency basis. Andersen left practice early. Kase was placed on IR.

I'll withhold any real reaction until we know what's up with Freddie. He never really got in the groove early on, and having an injury now is not the best timing ...

Maybe he's still just feeling it; he hasn't looked the same yet. Not worried yet, but they'll be hard pressed to replicate the domination they had last year imho.

Maybe he's still just feeling it; he hasn't looked the same yet.
Nah. They definitely said he tweaked something in practice. The team also went to great lengths to declare him fully fit in camp, and this isn't a team that plays a lot of games with player health. I think his sluggish start is more likely down to a summer spent concentrating on rehab more than training. Plus, Freddie's generally been a slow starter in the past. He went nuts early last season but that was outside of his career norm.

[They] went nuts early last season but that was outside of [team's historic] norm.
Seems that we got really spoiled by last year's historic early season run.

(Not replying to you specifically JB, just in general since we're experiencing freakouts on this board this early season.)

Seems that we got really spoiled by last year's historic early season run.

(Not replying to you specifically JB, just in general since we're experiencing freakouts on this board this early season.)
Yeah ... I mean, I guess that's natural even though I have no inclinations to hold over-sized expectations in general. What happened to the "I just hope they can hang in and stay in playoff position until Pacioretty comes back" sentiments that perfectly reasonable people were expressing back in the summer?

I miss those days.

We all know the window for this group to go deep in the playoffs is closing, so when things start going sideways and the team shows flashes of meh from last year's run ... we notice.

We all know the window for this group to go deep in the playoffs is closing, so when things start going sideways and the team shows flashes of meh from last year's run ... we notice.
I'm not taking issue with people noticing bad play. I'm as cold eyed as the next fan when it comes to that. I do continue to take issue with people acting like the season is caving on the Canes when they sit in 3rd in the Division, trailing by 3 points with at least one game in hand. St Louis and Vancouver are in real pain. Carolina? Meh. They're just a bit off.

Not accusing anyone here of freaking out, but there's been a general tone in the fan base that has shown signs of persisting.

I'm not a huge fan of their play against the big hitters of the league so far, but the season is young and the team is down three key role players from last season: Tro, Nino, and Tony. I think it's probably been a bit tougher without those guys in the lineup than what most folks thought, especially Trocheck. That dude set the tone for the team while he was here and I think they're missing that right now, but I'm sure someone will step up and fill that hole. Hopefully by March.

I think the reality is that as currently constructed the Canes are not really likely to win the cup. We need some things to break right to have a shot. The reason is our top end talent is a slot below the truly elite players in the league to this point. So we have to make up that difference through quality depth throughout the lineup. We need good goaltending. We need Necas, Jarvis,Svetch,KK to step up etc. we need burns to work out very well. We also need to not get out worked in games and need to ingrain that habit.

I think that’s where the concern comes from. There’s no margin for error. We’re not the leafs or Colorado who have a few stars that if they produce and get good goaltending they have the inside track.

I feel like that’s where the perception of panic comes from. We saw our shortcomings in the playoffs last season and we still see them. It’s like we rebuilt into maybe the 5th or 6th best team in the league.

I'm not wanting to freak out, but I need reasons to prevent it from happening & I'm just not getting that vibe over the past few games. I don't intend to step out on the ledge or anything, but my favorite team appears to be broken. Tonight's game looked like they took a giant step backwards, instead of fixing stuff from the Toronto game. The chemistry's missing.

Jim

I think the reality is that as currently constructed the Canes are not really likely to win the cup.
I mean, welcome to the party. For what it's worth, accepting that the Canes are a second tier contender is no cause for panic of concern ... at least not in my opinion. It's where a lot of teams peak out in "their window." Life goes on and it's heck of a lot better to be good but not great than it is to suck.

This team has already shown some flaws that we did not see last year...you had a Jennings winning tandem in net and I think Freddy was way better last year to date than where he has been so far this year. I also feel like as much warm and fuzzies we all feel with the starts of Necas and Svech regarding offense...the Turbo, Jarvis and even KK production from a scoring standpoint has been lukewarm to non-existent, that is a real concern when all three of those guys are in your top six forward mix. The D is one injury away in the top two pairs of being in some real paper thin territory and I really do not see a single player in Chicago that could be called on for the backline help on defense...Lagesson...Lajoie...scary.

I am most concerned with how many improved and better teams exist in the East, the playoff dogfight is going to be much tougher than last year, the Pacioretty addition at some point hopefully will help the goal scoring issues but there has been enough warts so far to have some real concerns with the overall team chemistry and make up for me.

I’m glad Drury played well but he shouldn’t look like one of your best guys out there unless we’re really missing the mark on who should be in the lineup.

This team has already shown some flaws that we did not see last year...you had a Jennings winning tandem in net and I think Freddy was way better last year to date than where he has been so far this year.
I mean, take a look at their results from mid-February to mid-April last season and tell me what you see. Because I saw pretty much what they've been doing thus far this season.

I mean, take a look at their results from mid-February to mid-April last season and tell me what you see. Because I saw pretty much what they've been doing thus far this season.
That’s true. I think we want them to be better than they are and we think this should be a deep playoff team when in reality they’re kind of peaking at the Level they’ve been at. They would need to change out the top line players to improve on that. Or overachieve. They are not overachievers though. So we should be happy with a middle tier playoff team that could catch a hot streak and get some breaks and win it all.

The frustrating part is they could be at a higher level if they didn’t have as many guys accepting good enough from themselves.

Back