• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Lajoie stayed behind in Chicago, he was went back to the Wolves.
Interesting. While Lajoie wasn't great the other night by any means, he wasn't awful either. More importantly, the presence of his old partner seemed to fire up Chatfield, who had a very good game.

Interesting. While Lajoie wasn't great the other night by any means, he wasn't awful either. More importantly, the presence of his old partner seemed to fire up Chatfield, who had a very good game.
He could be back. As noted, the schedule monkey has returned with a vengeance and the Canes head to Minnesota and Winnipeg on Saturday and Monday, after the brief stop home for the rematch with the Avs tomorrow night.

He could be back. As noted, the schedule monkey has returned with a vengeance and the Canes head to Minnesota and Winnipeg on Saturday and Monday, after the brief stop home for the rematch with the Avs tomorrow night.
Fair. I have to admit that I'm still lost as to what the Canes are doing with that 3rd pairing anyway. Cal de Haan has lost two steps (and wasn't exactly nimble to begin with) and Coghlan's only useful when he's shooting. If they don't trust Lajoie to hold down a spot, I fail to see why they didn't go get somebody better than freaking de Haan during camp. I get that it's just the 3rd pairing, but that's been a sore spot all season in an otherwise solid defense.

Coghlan turns out to be the throw-in after all Vegas knew he was and I think the Canes were hoping he was more than that. As much as I agree JB that deHaan has lost a step, he’s ok in that third pairing but they have no one really as a better option in that seventh defenseman role and they need that in case of the injuries that always pile up. Bear at that $2m plus price point was a luxury but you needed a better option as a swing guy D on a two way contract, especially since Chatfield is now your solid fifth D man.

Bear was of no use to the Canes because he absolutely cannot play on the left side ... like, at all. I'm not salty about Coghlan being basically what he's always been, but I'm not seeing the value in de Haan that you guys are. He's an overall liability out there. He still passes the puck OK and he's halfway decent at neutral zone control stuff, but he's regressed terribly in the D zone since he was last here. And he wasn't all that great then.

I have put my tickets for Wednesday night's game against Arizona up for sale on the ticket exchange, but if anyone here is interested in buying them, please let me know by sending a PM. They are in row X in section 127, about 25 rows off the ice on the aisle directly behind the net the Canes shoot at twice, and they come with a premier parking pass. Anyone on this board can have the whole package at my cost of $175.

Again, please send me a PM if you're interested.

Interesting.

There are all kinds of angles to that signing.

o Clearly the Canes trust what they have seen from Kochetkov to make a 4 year commitment to him

o $8 million total over 4 seasons is really really small money. Like really crazy small money for a goalie. Not sure who Kochetkov is represented by, but that is a long time to lock his client into small NHL salaries (understanding he has only played 7 regular season NHL games).

o The Canes had zero goalies under contract next season (now they have one).

o Did the Canes learn a lesson with how things played out with Ned and decide to not take a chance on a repeat by getting a long term deal in place well before being backed into a potential arbitration corner with a goalie they were not sure is a #1

We still need a #1 goalie for next season of course. Pretty confident the Canes will have zero interest in resigning Freddie. I don't think that #1 goalie is going to be Kotchetkov, but the kid has some swagger for sure. It would be a coup if Kotchetkov can turn into a reliable 55 game #1 at some point over those 4 seasons.

Last edited:
Per CapFriendly, here is the breakdown of Koochie’s contract:

Yr 1: $1.5M base salary + $500k signing bonus
Yr 2: $1.75M
Yr 3: $1.75M
Yr 4: $2.5M

I think this indicates that Freddie or Antti will be moved to free up cap space for more moves to bolster the offense.
Or not. They really don't have a third option if they move one of the vets and last season's stretch run shown pretty clearly why that's important. The fourth keeper right now is Sawchenko who is literally just some guy.

Or not. They really don't have a third option if they move one of the vets and last season's stretch run shown pretty clearly why that's important. The fourth keeper right now is Sawchenko who is literally just some guy.
And who knows the extent of Freddie’s injury. Seems to be dragging on without much info.

Glad to see this signing, although it's way too early to think that Koochie can be our Goalie of the Future. On the other hand, our current tandem has below average to date, so unless somebody gets hot we'll be looking for salvation elsewhere in anticipation of the next season.

I feel like Kochetkov has proven he can be an above average backup as a baseline. He's pretty solid even on his worst nights.

Koochie at the very least as the backup next year and beyond for $2 million is a good bit of business. The current dynamic duo as the answer for any sort of long run..🤷🏼‍♂️

Until Anderson and Raanta can prove they can play more than 10 games without an injury, neither one is worth a flip.

Back