• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Happy Labor Day everyone. With Hurricanes players starting to show up in Raleigh for informal workouts and NHL training camps starting mid-September, it's time for a new thread for a new season. Since there were ongoing conversations in the 22-23 threads, I'll just unstick those and let them run their course.

Of course the big issue with the Canes right now is the weird roster construction. Are they actually going to go with 8 defensemen on the NHL roster? I'd say maybe. Are they going to carry 3 goalies? I'll go with probably. Are they going to make a contract related trade before opening night? I'll go with maybe again ... leaning towards probably.

We don’t have a training camp roster yet, but the WHL Saskatoon Blades tweeted that dman Charlie Wright was invited to the Canes camp. He was first eligible for the 2021 draft was wasn’t selected and turns 20 at the end of October. He’s a left shot, 6’1”, 178 lbs. he had a big year last season 8 goals, 31 assists in 66 games, more than he had accumulated in his first 3 seasons combined.

Who the what now?
He‘s a 5’8 forward. He played in the WHL as a 15 and 16 year old, albeit only 5 games, then 4 full seasons, scoring 120 goals in is 19 and 20 year old seasons. Undrafted, he played for the Sharks AHL team for 4 years, 3 games with the Sharks in 2021-22 then last season in Sweden.

He‘s a 5’8 forward. He played in the WHL as a 15 and 16 year old, albeit only 5 games, then 4 full seasons, scoring 120 goals in is 19 and 20 year old seasons. Undrafted, he played for the Sharks AHL team for 4 years, 3 games with the Sharks in 2021-22 then last season in Sweden.
Honestly ... just wondering how to say his name at this point. There's MAYBE one grunt line spot open on the big club and I cannot imagine a world where this tiny little guy gets it. He's just auditioning for an AHL job ... somewhere else, seeing as how the Canes don't have an AHL roster to fill.

Honestly ... just wondering how to say his name at this point. There's MAYBE one grunt line spot open on the big club and I cannot imagine a world where this tiny little guy gets it. He's just auditioning for an AHL job ... somewhere else, seeing as how the Canes don't have an AHL roster to fill.
He’d be perfect for the Wolves, 4 years in the AHL but hasn’t reached veteran status yet, coming up 2 games short of 260 between the AHL, his cup of coffee with the Sharks and a season in Sweden.

He’d be perfect for the Wolves, 4 years in the AHL but hasn’t reached veteran status yet, coming up 2 games short of 260 between the AHL, his cup of coffee with the Sharks and a season in Sweden.
You'd think, but Chicago has pretty much set their roster I think. I know it's not super uncommon for fringe pros to get PTOs to NHL camps to try and grab an AHL opening somewhere, but Carolina seems a weird choice for that ... seeing as how they don't have an AHL affiliate and won't have AHL staff around the rink during camp. Still, whatever. You need practice fodder and there's no point bringing guys you know you're stashing in Europe over her just to go to camp.

You'd think, but Chicago has pretty much set their roster I think. I know it's not super uncommon for fringe pros to get PTOs to NHL camps to try and grab an AHL opening somewhere, but Carolina seems a weird choice for that ... seeing as how they don't have an AHL affiliate and won't have AHL staff around the rink during camp. Still, whatever. You need practice fodder and there's no point bringing guys you know you're stashing in Europe over her just to go to camp.
It’s also to get enough players for 2 full rosters for the simultaneous games in Florida on September 29.

The Canes released the jersey schedule today. The Black jerseys will once again be the primary jersey. The 2017-22 Red jerseys will be the alternates, worn in 13 games and the Whalers jersey will be worn once, on February 10 against the Devils. This is also the last year of the NHL contract with adidas.

Another day, another PTO. The Canes signed forward Zach Aston-Reese to a PTO, the 7th (and final, per Walt Ruff) signed by the organization. He’s played 307 games in the NHL, mostly with the Pens, but also stints with the Ducks and Leafs. He has 42 goals, 38 assists and 124 PIM.

At one point Aston-Reese was one of the best defensive forwards in the league, but he's never played a full schedule in his pro career

At one point Aston-Reese was one of the best defensive forwards in the league, but he's never played a full schedule in his pro career
The 77 games he played last season are the closest he’s come. He stayed up for good in the 2019-20 season and played 57, 45 and 69 in the seasons leading up to last year.

The training camp schedule is out. On ice sessions start at 9 am on September 21. The players will be split into 2 groups, but the composition of the groups is TBD. Practices and morning skates at both PNC and Invisalign will be open to the public.

Hmm, from that link I read
Practices and morning skates during training camp will be open to the media, and all skates held at Invisalign Arena will also be open to the public.
as only the few Invisalign practices being public-friendly.

Back