• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Fast is out for the playoffs.

Roy is going back to Varlamov for game 4. I was listening to the guys on NHL Radio this morning, Roy is gonna have a lot of repair work to do over the summer with Sorokin. Remember, he has a 8 year, $8.25 million AAV contract kicking in next season.

Canes at practice, some line juggling going on. Andersen in the starter’s crease.

Svech/Aho/Guentzel
Martinook (or is it Martinuke?)/Drury/Necas
Turbo/Staal/Jarvis
KK/Kuzy/Noesen

Isles at practice. No Matt Martin.

Cizikas-Horvat-Barzal
Fasching-Nelson-Palmieri
Lee-Pageau-Engvall
Holmstrom-MacLean-Clutterbuck

Pelech-Pulock
Romanov-Dobson
Reilly-Bortuzzo

Varlamov
Sorokin

Hmm ... we saw some Turbo/Staal/Jarvis in the later stages of game 4 and I thought it worked pretty good. It's a weird mix, since the center is the puck retriever, one winger is the play driver and the other is the setup guy, but hey ... whatever works. It's defensively solid and gives NYI something else to think about. Also, I've been waiting a couple of games now to see that Drury switch. KK just isn't getting it done, especially in 50-50 wall battles which are normally his strength.

We definitely cannot get caved in again at the dot. That last game was as bad a faceoff game by the Canes as I can remember.

32.4% for the Canes overall

Staal 11-25 (44%)
Aho 3-18 (17%)!!!!
KK 5-13 (38%)
Kuzie 1-8
(12.5%)!!!!

NHL.com allows you to see game by game team numbers pretty easily. And yep, that was the worst performance at the dot by the Canes this season (regular season or playoffs). And by a large margin (38.9% was the worst this season v. Dallas).

The last time the Canes were as bad as 32.4%? January 13, 2019 (v. Nashville) 29.8%
The last time the Canes were as bad as 32.4% in a playoff game? June 12, 2006 (Game 4 @Edmonton, which the Canes somehow won 2-1 despite the epic fail in the Faceoff circle) 30.4% (E. Staal 12.5%, Brindy 28.6%, Weight 33.3%, K. Adams 50%)

One other stat from that game....Brind'Amour's TOI? 25:40!!! Edmonton was 0-6 on the PP (Canes were 1-5).

Last edited:
Sadly, a lot of "experts" are predicting that Seattle will throw boatloads of cash and Brindy, and he's as good as gone. Seattle is willing to make him the highest paid NHL coach and Dundon has already proven he's the cheapest cheapskate to ever own a pro sports team, so it's a done deal.
How do I get a job that pays me to report news like that?

Sadly, a lot of "experts" are predicting that Seattle will throw boatloads of cash and Brindy, and he's as good as gone. Seattle is willing to make him the highest paid NHL coach and Dundon has already proven he's the cheapest cheapskate to ever own a pro sports team, so it's a done deal.
How do I get a job that pays me to report news like that?
That issue is a basic IQ test for hockey reporters. Most of them fail so badly that they never knew it was a test at all ... so they'll fall in the same hole every time Brind'Amour's contract comes up.

View attachment 20296
This Sara person is a diehard Minnesota Timberwolves fan, btw, and that's who she's referring to.
T-Wolves have a room in the house with the Canes, for sure. It does boggle the mind just how many dumb, lazy takes there are floating around in the sports media landscape. The decline of local journalism is a big part of that, as national media can't be expected to understand the nuances of every market, but even so ... it just piles up over time.

Well, that's because 98% of all NHL players want to play for Toronto, and hate having to play in cornfields like Carolina, where the owner is a massive cheapskate, and the arena is empty every night.

Well, that's because 98% of all NHL players want to play for Toronto, and hate having to play in cornfields like Carolina, where the owner is a massive cheapskate, and the arena is empty every night.
But the owner opened a TopGolf close to the arena…

Back