• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Been discussed elsewhere, and it's the same as last time. Don't let disingenuous dweebs like Dreger wind you up.
Oh, I'll be plenty wound up if that deal does go South, but until then, just passing along the reporting (or guessing, whatever you want to call it).

Oh, I'll be plenty wound up if that deal does go South, but until then, just passing along the reporting (or guessing, whatever you want to call it).
And to be fair, here's some more reporting, although by a team employee, but it's a primary source:

View: https://twitter.com/WaltRuff/status/1785720105411756540

Among the nuggets:
• He talks daily with Rod Brind'Amour about a contract extension. "Rod wants to be a Hurricane for life... There's going to be a solution here very quickly."

Yeah, I was waiting for that stuff to show up somewhere else. I'm not linking to that site if I can help it.

We desperately need an AHL affiliate but I have mixed feelings about going back to Chicago. Our staying power with AHL affiliates hasn't been great.

Until Dundon decides that stability in that department is worth the cost of owning and operating an AHL franchise himself, it's gonna be hit and miss. Better if the misses didn't fall into the don't have an affiliate at all box from here out though. I was talking about this scenario with a friend the other day and he said ... hey, if you play chicken a lot, then you have to be prepared to get squashed every so often. And Tom Dundon loves to play chicken.

Until Dundon decides that stability in that department is worth the cost of owning and operating an AHL franchise himself, it's gonna be hit and miss. Better if the misses didn't fall into the don't have an affiliate at all box from here out though. I was talking about this scenario with a friend the other day and he said ... hey, if you play chicken a lot, then you have to be prepared to get squashed every so often. And Tom Dundon loves to play chicken.
And it’s a 3 year deal. Say what you want about the Wolves, but when they had top drawer Canes prospects, they weren’t afraid of splashing lots of cash out to AHL vets to supplement the roster. And even a lot of the Canes guys on 2 way deals were making bank on their AHL salary. Noesen and CJ Smith were at $250k, Potsie was at $200k.

And that's fine. I've never had a problem with Chicago's operations. For me that whole mess lands squarely in the AHL's lap. They needed to step in and play intermediary rather than just knowingly letting one franchise go rogue. That was always going to end poorly.

Freddie Andersen is a Masterton finalist, along with Connor Ingram from the Yotes/insert nickname here and Oliver Kylington from the Flames. This should be a landslide, but you never know, Kylington has a compelling case too. Ingram’s nomination is probably a year late.

Lines and pairings at practice today. TDA is absent so Coghlan is in his spot and Ronan Seeley has joined the main group. Andersen is in the nominal starter’s crease.

Guentzel - Aho - Svechnikov
Martinook - Drury - Necas (Comtois)
Teravainen - Staal - Jarvis (Lemieux)
Kotkaniemi - Kuznetsov - Noesen

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Coghlan
Orlov - Chatfield
Seeley - Morrow

Not sure if this was asked or answered anywhere, but do we have an estimate of when we find out when our series starts? Thanks
There won't be an official schedule until the league knows how long that Dallas/Vegas series is going to run. And regardless of what impatient people will tell you, we don't want there to be an early start. Because eventually that turns into some team waiting like a solid week between games at some point.

Back