• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

More ammunition for the “Canes are close to an AHL affiliation agreement” discussion. Thr Canes signed 26 year old Finnish forward Juuha Jääskä to a 1 year entry deal. He's been with HIFK since he was 17 and has a career high of 12 goals, 25 assists set last year.
With a name like Juuha Jääskä, he should immediately be placed on our top line.

I'll admit to not paying any attention whatsoever to the Checkers this season ... but Skylar has 8 points in almost 50 games?

Any of you wise old men out there have any inside track on if game one at PNC arena will be leaning more towards next Saturday or Sunday? I realize playoff opponents still to be decided which factors into the overall series schedule but considering game one is certainly at home with that weekend fully open at PNC, is it going to come down to what network gets that series and we will all have to wait until late Thursday night next week to find out?

It's gonna depend on how the opponents and matchups shake out ... and specifically, which matchups the networks want for a possible Friday/Sunday games 6 and 7 scenario. Those will fire up on Saturday. Unless Carolina ends up matched with Pittsburgh, we'll probably get started on Sunday. But again, we'll see. Big difference between Rangers/Islanders and Rangers/Caps, for example. I think we're going to have to wait until Tuesday/Wednesday to know.

With Dallas losing last night, if my math is correct (cough) the Canes would finish no worse than 2d overall if they win out (any kinda of wins). With the Rangers losing last night, if the Canes win out and the Rangers barf up 2 points in their last two games, the Canes would take 1st overall. The Rangers two remaining games are at home against the Islanders and Sens. Islanders are 8-2 in their last 10 and getting 3 points in their final 3 games would wrap up a playoff berth. And if the islanders needed even more incentive against the Rangers, a win tomorrow would make it much more likely that they’d face the Rangers in the first round. I’m sure they’d prefer that then facing the Canes. Of course, this all has to start with the Canes winning in St Louis tonight. The Blues are on playoff life support but still chugging along at a decent clip. So it won’t be easy.

Last edited:
I know one thing ... I'd rather see the Canes avoid Tampa, even if it means losing the Division. I don't give a crap about the President's Trophy in the short term, although it would make a nice banner down the road, and I'm not particularly scared of Tampa. But given the option to face any of the other possible matchups, you'd be nuts not to want to avoid the Ning. Put it this way. There's a few teams that can power play you right out of the first round, but none of them are a possibility for Carolina aside from Tampa. Hard pass.

I know one thing ... I'd rather see the Canes avoid Tampa, even if it means losing the Division. I don't give a crap about the President's Trophy in the short term, although it would make a nice banner down the road, and I'm not particularly scared of Tampa. But given the option to face any of the other possible matchups, you'd be nuts not to want to avoid the Ning. Put it this way. There's a few teams that can power play you right out of the first round, but none of them are a possibility for Carolina aside from Tampa. Hard pass.

JeffBear echoing my several of my comments on the pod this week.

As tripper might say "Jeffbear, HUGE fan" :ROFLMAO:

In the unlikely event that they sneak by the Rangers with 2 games left, they're going to be first in the Conference and face Wild Card 2. Tampa is Wild Card 1.

The Bruins need to win their last 3, have the Rangers to lose both of their last two games in regulation and the Canes to get 3 points out of 4 in their last 2 games to avoid facing Tampa... or to have the Canes end up facing Tampa, anyway.

Rangers gave NYI yet another loser point, but they got it done in a shootout to go 3 points up on Carolina again. They have one game left Ottawa at home), while the Canes have two (Chicago and Columbus both on the road). The Canes are acting like they'd like to rest some guys, but ... yeah. They'll want home ice against the Rangers down the road if they can get it.

Rangers gave NYI yet another loser point, but they got it done in a shootout to go 3 points up on Carolina again. They have one game left Ottawa at home), while the Canes have two (Chicago and Columbus both on the road). The Canes are acting like they'd like to rest some guys, but ... yeah. They'll want home ice against the Rangers down the road if they can get it.
Isles spit the bit. A penalty shot in the 3rd that Pelech ganked up, giving up the tying goal late in the third and then 3 Canes-like shootout attempts.

Isles spit the bit. A penalty shot in the 3rd that Pelech ganked up, giving up the tying goal late in the third and then 3 Canes-like shootout attempts.
Trochek’s goal clinched the SO win for NYR at 2-0 so the 3rd isle player never had to go. But your point about the first 2 isle SO ”participants” is valid

Will Require Ottawa Winning in Reg.. At the Rangers.. Not impossible but I wouldn't bet on it.. (I think Rangers have the tie breaker.. )

Back