• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

The Leafs put dman John Klingberg on LTIR. He has t played since November 11, out with an undisclosed injury. He has 5 assists in 14 games and is 2nd worst on the team at -7, only better than Ryan Reaves.
Rumors swirling that it might be a permanent trip to Robidas Island for Klingberg…

We've hit the Thanksgiving Standing Lock ... which according to NHL lore is where the playoff teams are all but set in stone, even if the order might shift.

So, right now we'd have ...

East
Atlantic ... Boston, Florida, Tampa
Metro ... NYR, Washington, Carolina
WC ... Toronto, Detroit
Outside within 4 pts ... everybody but Ottawa and Columbus is within 4 points

West
Central ... Dallas, Colorado, Winnipeg
Pacific ... Vegas, Vancouver, LA
WC ... St Louis, Seattle
Outside within 4 pts ... Anaheim, Arizona, Calgary

So the East is a mosh pit with Detroit perhaps over-performing and DC getting a new coach bounce. I don't trust either of those teams, for the record. The West is a little more bottom heavy and thus a little more of a tight-knit group. Vancouver is the big surprise, I guess, but they look settled enough and are getting good offense from good players to back up a solid year in net from both goalies. Not sure I trust Anaheim and Arizona to keep up the pressure from below and Calgary is bit of a dysfunctional mess. That bunch may well put the cliche back in clinched at Thanksgiving. The Preds and Wild could possibly make a run and nobody knows what the heck is going to happen with the moribund Oilers.

Avs dman Samuel Girard enters the NHL/NHLPA Player’s Assistance Program for alcohol abuse stemming from severe anxiety and depression. He has 1 goal, 3 assists in 15 games, averaging 20:34 per game.

Islanders dman Adam Pelech was injured last night and placed on LTIR today with an upper body injury. He appeared to be holding his wrist. They claimed dman Mike Reilly off waivers from the Panthers today.

Dean Evason and assistant Bob Woods are out in Minnesota. John Hynes appears to be the choice to replace Evason.

No real shock to see Evason out, as the Wild have simply not gotten started this season yet. That said, you know where this is heading right? GOALTENDING has been their first and primary failing. Both Gustavsson and Fleury have flat out sucked all season. Be it ever the same, the great leveler of solid teams is always the goaltending. Could they be better in front of those keepers? Sure, but a key stop here and there, or just league average performance from two guys who are making a combined $7.25 million on a team with an artificially lowered Cap would have kept Evason in his job.

Hynes? How many times can a man fail upwards, anyway?

I hope the hockey world that is talking about the Corey Perry leave of absence in Chicago is untrue because it’s messy with a capital M…yikes.

Back