• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Ya think he finally found somebody dumb enough to bite on a 2 year deal?
Elliotte Friedman says he’s hearing 1 year/$2.75 million. He’s 35 so it can include incentives, no word on whether there are any in the contract.

Edit: all salary, no bonus. He’ll make a little over $2 million pro rated.

Last edited:
Elliotte Friedman says he’s hearing 1 year/$2.75 million. He’s 35 so it can include incentives, no word on whether there are any in the contract.

Edit: all salary, no bonus. He’ll make a little over $2 million pro rated.
Well, that's still an over-pay but at least they didn't get suckered in to that second year.

Kane says he hopes to be ready to play in 7-10 days. The Canes are at Detroit on November 14, so if he misses the window by a few days, there we are.

Worth noting that only three NHL players have ever had the kind of hip surgery that Kane had. One of them can't really play (Backstrom) and the other was a million years ago (Jovo Cop) and his post surgery career didn't go well either. Combine that with Kane's general late career decline and I'm putting him in the "wake me when he does something" pile.

It is so exciting though. I’m just giddy about it. If the Wingdings can coax Mario and Wayne out of retirement they’re a lock to win the Cup!!!!!

Jovo played 6 games in 2012-13 before surgery. He missed 10 months, played 37 games in 2013-14, had 1 goal, 4 assists and was bought out of the last year of his contract. A sad ending.

It is so exciting though. I’m just giddy about it. If the Wingdings can coax Mario and Wayne out of retirement they’re a lock to win the Cup!!!!!
It's criminal that Stevie Y is denying his services as a player to the very team he's managing.

And look, we all know we're kidding about this stuff ... but there absolutely exists a segment of the NHL fan base AND the NHL press corps that sits up at night thinking about how awesome all these old farts would still be on their favorite teams. I'd blame Gordie Howe, but I suspect that most of them are just that stupid.

It's criminal that Stevie Y is denying his services as a player to the very team he's managing.

And look, we all know we're kidding about this stuff ... but there absolutely exists a segment of the NHL fan base AND the NHL press corps that sits up at night thinking about how awesome all these old farts would still be on their favorite teams. I'd blame Gordie Howe, but I suspect that most of them are just that stupid.
The Wings already had 23 players on the roster so, to get Kane on the roster, they put Dylan Larkin on the “Active Non-roster“ list. That can only be used if a player is unavailable for reasons other than illness or injury. But he’s injured, with coach Derek Lalonde calling him “day to day“ on Tuesday. Larkin still counts against the cap but not against the 23 man roster.

Of course in order for that to work they’d have to send another player our way. And since the Canes are so cheap they’d also need to eat Larkin’s salary. Plus the other player’s salary. I heard DeBrindecat and Larkin for Francis.

Corey Perry has released a statement…

1701380580024.png

Something still doesn’t seem right here. If he is having mental health and/or substance issues, why was his contract terminated? Couldn’t he have simply gone on the IL or entered a substance abuse program?

seems very odd to issue a public apology for something when the public doesn’t know what it is you’re apologizing for. For that reason I think it’s a BS apology.

Corey Perry has released a statement…

View attachment 18628

Something still doesn’t seem right here. If he is having mental health and/or substance issues, why was his contract terminated? Couldn’t he have simply gone on the IL or entered a substance abuse program?
Yep, he could have gone into the Player Assistance program.

Yep, he could have gone into the Player Assistance program.
Seems like you can do that before your problem leads you to do other things that cross the line. If you do something fireable while drunk, having a substance abuse problem doesn’t get you off the hook.

Back