• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Erik Gudbranson has a hearing today too, by phone. And I’d expect Ryan Strome’s phone to be ringing today, after his knee hit on Kyle Connor.

View: https://x.com/sportsnet/status/1734038012202246398?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

The refs' decision to reduce Cousins' major for that atrocious hit on Gudbranson to a standard 2 minutes was ... something. I'd go with indefensible, personally. But whatever it was, it triggered everything that followed. If I was in Gudbranson's shoes, I'd lead with that in the hearing. As for Strome, I'm sure he'll be paying a $12 fine soon enough.

No injury my backside. He was bleeding, which is enough for them to award a double minor on a high stick even when a guy lifts an opponent's stick intentionally ... not that we've seen that firsthand ... cough, cough, cough.

No injury my backside. He was bleeding, which is enough for them to award a double minor on a high stick even when a guy lifts an opponent's stick intentionally ... not that we've seen that firsthand ... cough, cough, cough.
I’m assuming those were the Panthers announcers trying to justify that crap? Cousins chased him down from the red line.

I expected 2-3 for Gudbranson.. As to Perron if that's the "new" standard fine. (and probably a bit light) but based on other similar plays... Lets just say I have no faith..

Cousins had that coming. Those homer Fla announcers are just terrible. Blaming Gud by saying he has to protect himself in that position.

The Blues put Jakub Vrana on waivers. Talk about someone's career falling off a cliff. Back to back 20 goal seasons in 18-19 and 19-20. But he got into Laviolette‘s dog house and was traded to Detroit in April 2021. He played 50 games between the Caps and Red Wings in 2020-21, but he hasn’t played more than 26 NHL games in any of the last 3 seasons. He‘s had injuries, COVID and time in the NHLPA player assistance program.

Wow...their building in DC is only two years older than PNC...

View attachment 18788
Monumental owns Capital One Arena but they lease the land from the city. They’re also building new studio space adjacent to the arena.

This probably puts the old RFK Stadium site back in play for a new stadium for the Commanders.

The Blues fired head coach Craig Berube and replaced him with Springfield coach Drew Bannister on an interim basis

True, but it's got downtown major metro area hosting two pro franchise miles on it. Last time I was in there, that place had gotten pretty shaggy.
DC’s mayor announced a plan to provide $500 million in financing toward an $800 million plan to renovate the arena. Leonsis said he’d stay in DC if they provided $600 million.

The WNBA Washington Mystics will move to Capital One Arena from their current home at the Emtertainment and Sports Arena in Southeast DC. The G-League Capital City Go-Gos would remain there and not move. The arena will also continue to host concerts and college basketball games, Georgetown uses it as their home court.

The proposed arena is less than 20 minutes from the current arena on the Metro Yellow Line. But how many fans from Maryland will they lose with that move?

DC’s mayor announced a plan to provide $500 million in financing toward an $800 million plan to renovate the arena. Leonsis said he’d stay in DC if they provided $600 million.

The WNBA Washington Mystics will move to Capital One Arena from their current home at the Emtertainment and Sports Arena in Southeast DC. The G-League Capital City Go-Gos would remain there and not move. The arena will also continue to host concerts and college basketball games, Georgetown uses it as their home court.

The proposed arena is less than 20 minutes from the current arena on the Metro Yellow Line. But how many fans from Maryland will they lose with that move?
I'm sure the team knows their fan demographics better than we ever could from the outside. Leonsis is no dummy. If this didn't make sense, he wouldn't be doing it. Plenty of pro sports owners just don't have any kind of market savvy, but not this one.

Back