• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

I've been surprised that nobody picked him up before now ... and some real bums have fetched draft picks to shore up hobbled defenses around the league.

I've been surprised that nobody picked him up before now ... and some real bums have fetched draft picks to shore up hobbled defenses around the league.
He was injured at the World Championships and had shoulder surgery. I guess everyone wanted to wait on his recovery. But the move to Washington had been rumored for a while.

The Seattle Kraken are being sued for trademark infringement for the design of their Winter Classic jersey. Entrepreneur Paul Kim acquired the trademark to the Seattle Metropolitans logo in 2014 and he alleges that the red S logo and lettering are “virtually identical” to the Metropolitans logo. He also alleges that the Kraken made a low ball offer to acquire the rights and, when he refused to sell, was informed that the team would pursue a different design.

I mean ... it's absolutely not "virtually identical" if you have a clear grasp of the meaning of those two words, but knock yourself out I guess. It's a red S with letters in it. Different font, different letters. Note the repeated use of the word "different."

Comrie has been slightly better than Raanta ... Samsonov, not so much. For those wondering, if you just look at goals allowed above expected over 60 minutes (an imperfect stat, but one that's more useful than save percentage or other traditional measuring stats) then only Jack Campbell, Samsonov, Forsberg (Sens), Wolf (Flames) and Chrona (Sharks) have actually fared worse than Raanta this season.

Yeah, everybody gets all fired up for goalie fights like they're gonna get a classic like Roy vs. Vernon or Roy vs. Osgood or Hextall vs. Potvin ... and instead they almost all look like two little kids fighting with the couch cushions taped to their bodies.

Waddell didn’t bite, both Samsonov and Comrie cleared waivers.
Fair enough. Samsonov has been awful and Toronto already did everything imaginable to try and get him going. Comrie is what Comrie has always been ... an AHL goalie.

Fair enough. Samsonov has been awful and Toronto already did everything imaginable to try and get him going. Comrie is what Comrie has always been ... an AHL goalie.
Samsonov is going to report to the Marlies but is not expected to play. He's going to work with their goalie coaches and sports psychologists to regain whatever it is that he lost.

Samsonov is going to report to the Marlies but is not expected to play. He's going to work with their goalie coaches and sports psychologists to regain whatever it is that he lost.
I understand that he was already undergoing all manner of one on one instruction and various confidence building schemes so this doesn't mean much.

And also ... think those guys would offer a discount to work with Raanta at the same time?

Our old friend Max Pacioretty is making his season debut for the Caps tonight, more than 11 months since his second Achilles tear with the Canes.

Jesse Puljujarvi will join AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on a PTO. He had signed a PTO with the Pens in December.

Back