• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Brian Burke was at the PWHL Finals last night. Had a great time. The PWHL has done a lot of things wrong strategy and marketing wise, but the on-ice product is very solid.

Here is a short thread on the increased instance of blood clots among NHL players. Jed Ortmeyer’s comment makes a lot of sense. If the teamhas a back to back with travel, they come off the ice, they’re dehydrated, they shower, change and get on a plane. They really don’t have a lot of time to “finish up with Billy” before they head to the airport.

View: https://x.com/magodin/status/1792569362961834115?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Looks like it's USA v Czech Repub tomorrow 2:20 PM EDT for a quarterfinal game. What streaming service offers this game up? I have Hulu Live TV with ESPN+. Is it being aired on ESPN? If it's on the NHL Network, then I may be out of luck.

Looks like it's USA v Czech Repub tomorrow 2:20 PM EDT for a quarterfinal game. What streaming service offers this game up? I have Hulu Live TV with ESPN+. Is it being aired on ESPN? If it's on the NHL Network, then I may be out of luck.
It looks like you’re SOL, it’s on NHL Network.

To this day I can’t watch that hit. Brutal.
Yeah. Makes you want to cry.
For Shane
For the league

Broadcasters saying it was clean, nothing wrong with it. Wish they had to go down on the ice and skate and get blindsided a few time and I can say things like “once you stTt a check you have to finish it. Clean hit. Keep your head up. “. Disgusting.

LeBrun says the Devils are hiring Sheldon Keefe as their new coach. He‘s getting a 4 year deal.

Rick Tocchet wins the Jack Adams. Andrew Brunette was a distant 2nd. RBA finished 8th, with 4 1st pace votes.

At least the league officiating completely blows chunks even if the Canes aren’t playing.

They seem intent on making rulings on points that are irrelevant. Lombard went into the crease. He’s allowed. He got shoved by the D into the goalie. Otherwise there’d have been no contact.

At least the league officiating completely blows chunks even if the Canes aren’t playing.

They seem intent on making rulings on points that are irrelevant. Lombard went into the crease. He’s allowed. He got shoved by the D into the goalie. Otherwise there’d have been no contact.
You can't accuse NHL officiating of being inconsistent. It's terrible all the time. That said, I'm still not sure after multiple replays whether or not Lomberg actually made contact with Shesterkin before he got shoved or not, but if they had a clear view showing that he did then that was the right call. But even getting one right wouldn't make much of a dent in the fact that the officials obviously don't have a clear consensus among themselves what actually constitutes interference. Heck, Kozari was in the crew last night and has been on the ice for calls that were exactly the opposite of what he called last night. It's just a mess and hoping it goes away isn't working.

On the Florida/NYR series, I'm kind of hoping Florida turns the Rangers into a grease spot on I95 even though I can't stand either team. But, I was kind of hoping that Lavy could come up with something to make it look different than last year's Eastern Final. Thus far, no dice. Mo's guys did the exact same thing to the Rangers that they did to the Canes last year ... turning the middle of the ice into a briar patch and just choking the life out of the game with recycled possession. They lost control for a couple of shifts, but otherwise that could easily have been a game from last spring.

I don't particularly care for any of the 4 teams that remain in the playoffs. As for who I'm rooting for, I'm basically copacetic with anyone BUT the Rangers winning, all for a variety of different reasons:

Dallas - It's been a while and I have a pre-playoff bet on them to win the Cup.

Edmonton - The best player in the World get's his Cup. Canada finally get's another Cup.

Florida - Paul Maurice get's a Cup

The Rangers? Anything that would make their fans more intolerable than they already are is not anything I can root for. Even better than the Rangers not winning the Cup is for them to get swept by Florida while struggling to generate any offense.

Last edited:
I'd prefer Dallas out of this final four. I don't like their old timers much, but otherwise I find them tolerable ... and who can't enjoy watching Wyatt Johnston play?

Dallas I like except for Benn. Hope they take it.
Rags - Hell no
Panthers - No way Forever .500 Coach Mo gets to win a cup somewhere else after dragging us through the muck for, I think it was 83 years.
Edmonton - I always says you can't win without defense and goaltending so any win by Edmonton is bad even though they've improved in those areas a bit.

Back