• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Winnipeg promoted associate coach Scott Arniel to head coach, replacing Rick Bowness who retired. Since being fired after a season in change as head coach by Columbus in 2012, he spent 1 season as head coach of the Chicago Wolves then 5 years as an assistant with the Rangers, 4 years as an assistant with the Caps and the last 2 years as associate head coach in Winnipeg.

Arniel has been a highly thought of assistant for a fairly long time and nobody should hold anything that happens in Columbus against anybody who wasn't making personnel decisions. At least they didn't go hire another retread dinosaur

Arniel has been a highly thought of assistant for a fairly long time and nobody should hold anything that happens in Columbus against anybody who wasn't making personnel decisions. At least they didn't go hire another retread dinosaur
Well, he’s 61 which is semi-dinosaurish. But his one and only NHL head coaching job ended 12 years ago and he’s worked with Vigneault, Reirden, Laviolette and Bowness since then.

Islanders send the18th and 50th overall picks in 2024 to the Blackhawks for the 20th, 54th and 61st overall. So the Blackhawks pay an extra 2nd rounder to move up 2 spots in the first round.

Bottom line, I feel like the Rangers pretty much had to empty the tank to claw out an OT win at home. And once again, nothing really changed for them tactically. They did the Lavy thing and came out with the pedal to the metal early but that only got them the lead. They couldn't keep it, and ended up in yet another frustrating slugfest. The series may be tied, but I'm still calling it advantage Panthers.

How can you cheer for either Eastern Conference team? Trouba is such a dirty player. He deserves (and won't get) a 2 game suspension. And take your pick: Bennett or Tkachuck is just as bad.

I don't classify vaguely wanting one dirtbag team to beat another as "cheering" or "rooting for" even. I hope whoever comes out of the West beats either of them ... badly.

Aaron Portzline and others are writing that Waddell will be both President of Hockey Operations and GM, at least temporarily. The expectation is that he’s bringing Ken Holland in once his contract in Edmonton expires. He’ll also be allowed to sit at the Jackets table for the draft, since he had little input into the Canes plans, with all amateur scouting and the draft being run by Darren Yorke.

Aaron Portzline and others are writing that Waddell will be both President of Hockey Operations and GM, at least temporarily. The expectation is that he’s bringing Ken Holland in once his contract in Edmonton expires. He’ll also be allowed to sit at the Jackets table for the draft, since he had little input into the Canes plans, with all amateur scouting and the draft being run by Darren Yorke.
I didn't read that, but does that mean that Davidson is stepping down? I can't imagine having Holland, Waddell AND Holland in the same front office. Then again, this IS the Blue Jackets we're talking about so ...

Good for Don Waddell. This sounds like a promotion which almost certainly means more $$$. He deserved hazard pay for all the work he had to do for the Canes as the GM and handling negotiations about the new lease and future of the areas around PNC Arena. He had a awful lot on his plate here and was probably not getting paid as much as he should have been given all of the work he had to do.

I didn't read that, but does that mean that Davidson is stepping down? I can't imagine having Holland, Waddell AND Holland in the same front office. Then again, this IS the Blue Jackets we're talking about so ...
This says that Davidson is expected to retire. He turned 71 in February, maybe it’s time.

Back