• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

I'd let Turbo walk before I offered him anything.
I don't necessarily disagree with this sentiment, but the one question to be answered of course is 'who do we bring into take over Turbo's spot'? If we end up not signing ANY of our UFAs, this is going to be a pretty big question to answer.

I don't necessarily disagree with this sentiment, but the one question to be answered of course is 'who do we bring into take over Turbo's spot'? If we end up not signing ANY of our UFAs, this is going to be a pretty big question to answer.
The free agent crop is ok at best…so it is a valid point in regards to losing 5/6/7 regulars and then trying to fill out a competitive team.

Put another way, I don't want to pay Turbo $6 million if that is really what it takes. But I also don't think we find a player as good as Turbo at $5 million AAV as a UFA. Are we really thinking that Nadeau or Blake can step right in to that spot?

Yes, don't overpay to keep all these UFAs, but what is the plan to fill all these spots? There is going to be a whole lot of chatter, rumors, accusations, assumptions and crazy talk over the next 4 weeks.

Someone's going to have to make some trades. No way is Turbo a $6m forward.
You need assets to make trades, and if you're going to fill all those UFA roster spots with guys outside the current organizational chart then that's going to take a LOT of assets.

The issue here isn't whether Turbo is worth $6 million. The issue is how much does it cost you to replace him. And also, that $6 million is based on a formula that even the guy who wrote it thinks is flawed. So ... whatever.

The Western Final continues to be a bit unhinged. Dallas blew out to a 2 goal lead early in Game 4 only to give up 4 goals and an empty netter from there out. Every time something seems settled in this series, it turns on its head. It's on serve at 2-2 heading back to Dallas, but everybody seems a bit bruised by how they got there.

The Western Final continues to be a bit unhinged. Dallas blew out to a 2 goal lead early in Game 4 only to give up 4 goals and an empty netter from there out. Every time something seems settled in this series, it turns on its head. It's on serve at 2-2 heading back to Dallas, but everybody seems a bit bruised by how they got there.

Both conference finals have been immensely entertaining. I have found them both to be “much see TV,” even with no horse in this race (except that I will be strongly pulling for the Western Conference winner to beat the snot out of the Rangers or the Panthers).

Yeah, they have been fun to watch but in completely different ways. The Eastern series just seems like a normal conference final, but the Western series has been bonkers. Mostly that's down to the Oilers, I guess. Dallas is pretty conventional but everything about the Oilers seems heightened. Higher highs, lower lows ... terrible goaltending. They're all over the place.

I've been able to get myself to watch some of the Dallas/Edmonton series here and there, but no complete game yet. However, I've been sucked into the NBA playoffs big time. Tonight is Dallas at Minnesota. Will Ant Man once again rediscover his game, will Rudy Gobert not look like a fawn on ice when trying to guard Luka, or will Luka and Kyrie combine for 60+ points in the backcourt again?
Yes, even though both conference finals in te NBA has produced pretty lopsided results so far, the games themselves have bee very entertaining.

Really good game in NY last night. Florida got the W, but the Rangers showed up a bit more, especially in the first period. It wasn't just Shesterkin standing on his head while the got pummeled. Heading back to Sunrise, the Panthers have a chance to close it out. They have been the better team, but by the skinniest of margins.

Scott Burnside wrote for the Canes for a hot minute. Today he was named as the 2024 recipient of the Elmer Ferguson Award, for excellence in hockey journalism. Pierre Houde will receive the Foster Hewitt Award for outstanding contributions as a hockey broadcaster. He’s does French language TV play by play for the Canadiens. Oddly, Chuck Kaiton is still the President of the NHL Broadcasters Association.

I like Burnside, but jeez it must be a low bar if a technician like that guy can get an award for excellence. An award for competence, sure.

I've been able to get myself to watch some of the Dallas/Edmonton series here and there, but no complete game yet. However, I've been sucked into the NBA playoffs big time. Tonight is Dallas at Minnesota. Will Ant Man once again rediscover his game, will Rudy Gobert not look like a fawn on ice when trying to guard Luka, or will Luka and Kyrie combine for 60+ points in the backcourt again?
My friends, the final option was chosen as the Luka/Kyrie backcourt went off for 70+ points to send Dallas to the NBA Finals where they will meet the Boston Celtics.

I must be watching an entirely different Turbo than everyone else. I don't see that he brings anything to the team than can't be replaced by young blood.

My question for any thoughts on replacing players: who can you realistically get that is at least as good as the player you want to replace that doesn't come at a ruinous cost?

Dallas did a convincing impersonation of the Canes playing against NY last night ... couldn't kill a penalty to save their lives. A 3-1 loss at home leaves them trailing the Oilers 3-2 in the series and heading back to the Canadian plains for game 6. So, that sets up two game 6s where the home team has a chance to wrap up the Conference Final. Wanna bet at least one series goes to game 7?

Back