• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

I am always shocked to see a score where Edmonton doesn't have at least a touchdown and a PAT. But then, I'm equally shocked to see the other team not putting up at least that.

Dallas has had a couple of games in this series now where they had 10 or less shots halfway into the game. Edmonton has tightened up their D.

Dallas has had a couple of games in this series now where they had 10 or less shots halfway into the game. Edmonton has tightened up their D.
They did. Edmonton blocked a ton of shots and sold out to protect the middle of the ice ... and still gave up more scoring chances against. Good for them that Skinner is the kind of goalie who's better on the high danger stuff than he is on a garden variety shot from the high slot.

I would not be able to root for Edmonton simply because their media is such a bunch of obnoxious homers. Not sure I can root for Florida either, but hey. I can just watch as a neutral. If Dallas gets in, I'm rooting for them. Kind of. Rooting is pushing it ... more like I'd prefer them to win.

BTW ... that Florida/NYR series? Barkov's line was better than Zibanejad's line by a bigger margin that Shesterkin was better than Bob and special teams ended up pretty much a draw. Eventually that math was going to favor Florida and it did. Really similar to what they did to Carolina last year, with Barkov shutting down Aho's line and everything else coming down to execution. Fine margins, with the hint of inevitability.

The Panthers get to play the heavy, so they'll be in their comfort zone. I'm thinking they're licking their chops at the prospect of unleashing their forecheck on that shaky Oilers' D-corps

Ethan Bear was cleared from the NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance Program. He has 1 year left on his Caps contract, $2.0625 million AAV, $2.75 million actual
Hopefully he's going to benefit from having a full summer conditioning program now that he's clean. I really like that kid and hope he can find his footing.

Travis Green added Nolan Baumgartner and Mike Yeo as assistants in Ottawa. They join assistants Daniel Alfredsson and Ben Sexton and goaltending coach Justin Peters.

Did we know Pete Dog moved into coaching?

At the Rangers exit interviews, Blake Wheeler said he isn’t sure if he’s going to play next season. His kids are at an age where he’d like to be around. Adam Fox said he reaggravated the knee that was injured in November during the Caps series. And Jacob Trouba played the end of the season and playoffs on a broken ankle.

At the Stars exit interviews, Joe Pavelski said it’s not official official, but “this is it for me”.

Wheeler really should wrap it up. He was a non factor in NY even when he was healthy and that last injury will take some serious rehab. The rest? My heart cries for your pain and sacrifice.

At the Rangers exit interviews, Blake Wheeler said he isn’t sure if he’s going to play next season. His kids are at an age where he’d like to be around. Adam Fox said he reaggravated the knee that was injured in November during the Caps series. And Jacob Trouba played the end of the season and playoffs on a broken ankle.

At the Stars exit interviews, Joe Pavelski said it’s not official official, but “this is it for me”.
Amazingly, Trouba’s elbows have never been in better shape and are kept well conditioned over the course of a full season and playoffs…

Maybe so, but Trouba was a straight up liability in those last two rounds and Fox wasn't effective until midway through the Florida series when he seemed to start moving better. Miller may have been worse than both of them, without the excuse of being hurt. Goes further to show just how good Shesterkin was in the playoffs.

Back