• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Lower tier players coming off their entry deals, but $4.6 million per season for Broberg? Other GMs are gonna hate Armstrong for that contract.

Learning from the Canes example on what it takes to make an effective offer sheet. Overpay generally required if you don't want an easy match.

I don't see how Edmonton matches that Broberg offer sheet. Holloway's trade value is way more than just a 3rd round pick so I would think they would figure out a way to make that work.

Lower tier players coming off their entry deals, but $4.6 million per season for Broberg? Other GMs are gonna hate Armstrong for that contract.
Yeah, that was the one that concerned me. The Holloway sheet is the kind of thing I've been waiting to see happen for years. Broberg? Not so much, but hey ... St Louis is screwed on the blueline and he's a guy who absolutely can play 15-16 minutes and potentially a guy who could end up running your PP2 this season. Krug is probably done and Faulk is all they've got at the point. Maybe you overpay that guy for the short run and negotiate him down if he doesn't quite pan out. We're talking about a team that's so desperate on D that they signed the ghost of Ryan Suter a month ago.

Learning from the Canes example on what it takes to make an effective offer sheet. Overpay generally required if you don't want an easy match.

I don't see how Edmonton matches that Broberg offer sheet. Holloway's trade value is way more than just a 3rd round pick so I would think they would figure out a way to make that work.
The KK offer sheet was only a 1 year deal though. Everyone knew, or should have known, that a multi-year deal would be lower. Both of these are for 2.

We're talking about a team that's so desperate on D that they signed the ghost of Ryan Suter a month ago.
Where ghost is a synonym for corpse.

True, but there could be a few reasons why those are 2 year offers in this case....

The players/agents might have only been willing to sign a 2 year deal

St. Louis might have wanted a 2 year deal to avoid arbitration possibilities next year with both players

St. Louis might have added that extra year to squeeze Edmonton's 25-26 cap hit (aka Draisaitl's cap hit is going to be way more than $8.5 million at that point).

2 years for Broberg is pretty insane at that AAV but "insane" increases offer sheet success odds. Give me Jalen Chatfield for less total $$$ over 3 seasons instead!

I'm not exactly sure what the plan was in terms of Edmonton signing both of these players. Even if they sent down some players and brought their roster down to the minimum allowed size,, they only have like $1.4 million in cap room. Something was going to need to give if Edmonton wanted to keep both of these players. Now they REALLY have to make some sort of hard decision.

I do wonder if Edmonton had planned for what they would do if someone double offer sheeted them like this. Given the fact that lower end offer sheets almost never happen, they might be scrambling to figure out what to do. There are not a lot of lower end RFAs available out there....maybe Nick Robinson?

Last edited:
I think the Oilers will decide to keep Holloway and let Broberg walk and take the second rounder. The only other out they would have would be to try and trade Cody Ceci, but every other GM now knows the Oilers are trading from a disadvantage and would ask for sweeteners to help the Oilers out of this mess now. Broberg played well when the pressure was on in the playoffs for the Oilers and showed that he can play in someone's top 6, but that's an expensive contract for a guy with very little on his NHL resume overall. Interesting how Armstrong did this to Bowman, many questioned if he would have pulled the same move with one of his buddies Kenny Holland at the helm...

...Broberg played well when the pressure was on in the playoffs for the Oilers and showed that he can play in someone's top 6, but that's an expensive contract for a guy with very little on his NHL resume overall...
I like it when teams gamble on a player like this. When you find your team has deep needs that are not being currently met, they can either suffer, dig the hole deeper, or take a chance on a kid like this. I will never be mad that the Hurricanes did something like this with KK. This team took a chance, an actual chance on improving the team.

I like it when teams gamble on a player like this. When you find your team has deep needs that are not being currently met, they can either suffer, dig the hole deeper, or take a chance on a kid like this. I will never be mad that the Hurricanes did something like this with KK. This team took a chance, an actual chance on improving the team.
They did take a chance and you still have hope a guy like KK may eventually become a useful player and finds his game...could more usage and responsibility this season help the guy turn the corner...perhaps!

2 years for Broberg is pretty insane at that AAV but "insane" increases offer sheet success odds. Give me Jalen Chatfield for less total $$$ over 3 seasons instead!
See, that's the thing. I'm not advocating these kinds of offer sheets for fully functioning franchises who structure their rosters intelligently, with an eye on both the current cycle and the future. But we all know that the NHL is absolutely packed to the rafters with franchise that DON'T plan ahead and create all sorts of problems for themselves doing dumb crap like chasing expensive UFAs and burning draft picks and prospects on deadline rentals. St Louis may have gotten that Cup in 2019 but chasing that thing in the manner they did basically burned their chance to re-load and keep competing for a generation. For the poorly run front office, the option to go cherry pick some quality depth on the lower end of the offer sheet scale is right there for everybody to take, and yet nobody does. So, yeah. The one time somebody tries it, they mess up the details. That's what poorly run franchises do. The concept is still solid.

St. Louis made a trade yesterday that flew under the radar, but makes sense in the context of the offer sheets. They sent a 2026 2nd rounder and a 2025 3rd rounder to the Pens for a 2025 2nd rounder and a 2026 5th rounder. They didn’t have a 2025 2nd rounder, having traded it to the Pens in June with Kevin Hayes for Future Considerations. This gives them the pick they’d need if the Oilers don’t match the Broberg offer sheet. They have their own 2025 3rd rounder which would be the compensation for Holloway. The 3rd rounder they traded to the Pens had been acquired earlier in the day from Ottawa with Mathieu Joseph.

So, if I'm reading this right, if St Louis is successful with these two offer sheets, they would have to give up 1 second round pick for Broberg and then 1 third round pick for Holloway. That ain't too bad. Are these two lads worth it, though? I know nothing about them.
Essentially, those are the types of players that you would probably be happy to have drafted with a second or third round pick. So they've eliminated the draft risk and gone straight to the end product.

Bruce Garrioch says the Oilers are trying to trade Cody Ceci and Brett Kulak so they can match the offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway. But everyone knows that Bowman is stuck, so they’re asking for a 1st or 2nd rounder. The Oilers don’t have a 1st or 2nd in the 2025 draft, they traded the 1st rounder to the Flyers this year for a 1st rounder in the 2024 draft. They traded the 2nd rounder in 2022 as part of the deal that sent Zach Kassian and 3 picks to the Yotes for a 2022 1st rounder. They used that pick on Reid Schaefer, whom they sent to Nashville with Tyson Barrie and 2 picks for Mattias Eckholm and a pick.

I love that nobody is bailing out Bowman ... for once. Normally one of the other idiots just pretends it's business as usual and forgets that you're COMPETING with these teams.

Look ... anywhere but here is fine. Preferably on a multi year deal so we don't have to sweat this again next summer. Because I will believe that the Canes are out of the DeAngelo business the minute he retires.

The Oilers made a couple of moves yesterday that should allow them to match the offer sheets for Broberg and Holloway. They traded a 2025 4th round pick to Vancouver for Vasily Podkolzin and then sent Cody Ceci and a 2025 3rd round pick to the Sharks for dman Ty Emberson. They can match for both and be cap compliant by putting Evander Kane on LTIR and sending a player with greater than a $850k cap hit to the minors. When Kane is healthy, they’ll have to either make a trade or put another player with a similar cap hit on LTIR. With those trades, the Oilers have 3 picks next year, in the 4th, 6th and 7th rounds. The 4th they traded to Vancouver was originally Ottawa’s.

View: https://x.com/puckpedia/status/1825377635645653365?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Kevin Weekes tweeted that he’s being told that Preds goalie Yaroslavl Askarov has told the Preds he’s not reporting to AHL Milwaukee and has requested a trade. The Preds signed Jusse Saros to an 8 year extension that kicks in next year and runs to 2033. They signed Scott Wedgewood as a backup for 2 years with a $1.5 million AAV, so Askarov is effectively blocked. Since being picked 2 spots ahead of Jarvis in 2020, he’s played 3 games for the Preds and spent 2 full seasons in the AHL.

View: https://x.com/kevinweekes/status/1825522460185198916?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Back