• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

The slow weeks of summer are upon us…I’m waiting for news on Jarvis and all I get are GMs tweaking around the edges and Laine to MTL.

The slow weeks of summer are upon us…I’m waiting for news on Jarvis and all I get are GMs tweaking around the edges and Laine to MTL.
Better than a couple of weeks ago during the truly dead dog days of NHL summer when nobody was even doing that stuff. I know people are on edge about Jarvis for whatever reasons they have (mostly just regular old impatience, I suspect) but does it actually matter when he gets re-signed so long as it's done before camp? The Canes appear to have their other business pretty well nailed down, have adequate cap space to get the kid's deal done and are otherwise down to PTO invites before camp.

Remember when Johansen and Duchene were supposed to make Nashville contenders back in the late 20-teens? LOL
They played together from 2019-23

2019-20 - Lost to Arizona in the bubble qualifying round
2020-21 - Lost the Canes in the first round
2021-22 - Lost to the Avs in the first round
2022-23 - missed the playoffs by 4 points

That is probably a fair deal for Beniers, although Seattle better hope that he shakes last season's funk (only 15 goals and 37 points?).

Even with Beniers being a center, Seth Jarvis >>>> Matty Beniers.

I'm still not sure if Beniers is going to land as a two way 1C or end up being more defensive minded ... but it's hard to tell with the stupidly cautious system Seattle played his first two years. And yeah, I think Jarvis is a higher impact player simply because he's got that motor and he's not afraid to try stuff. Again, I'd love to see Beniers play in a real system so I can see what he can actually do.

USA Hockey announced that John Tortorella and David Quinn will serve as assistant coaches for Team USA in the 4 Nations Challenge. John Hynes had previously been named an assistant. Mike Sullivan is the head coach for that tournament and the 2026 Olympics.

This used to be Anthony Duclair’s hair. Lamoriello has a hair rule that, to be fair, Duclair knew about before he signed with the Islanders.

My daughter played for a guy that played for Lamoriello at Providence. He and a few teammates were put through a bag skate their senior year for something that happened when they were freshman. Asshole was the kindest word he said about Lou.

View: https://x.com/worldhockeyrpt/status/1826446973937107164?s=46&t=8056gLL6Pl3wbApF5otK6g

Lou is brutal, man. Thing is ... that stuff used to work, but players who have the option of a more open, respectful environment are going to choose that. And increasingly, they have that choice.

Elliott Friedman reporting that Rutger McGroarty is being traded from Winnipeg to Pittsburgh (no specifics yet).

--edit-- Trade involves Brayden Yager going from Pittsburgh to Winnipeg

Last edited:
Elliott Friedman reporting that Rutger McGroarty is being traded from Winnipeg to Pittsburgh (no specifics yet).

--edit-- Trade involves Brayden Yager going from Pittsburgh to the Winnipeg
And McGroarty signed his entry deal. Salary is $855k, signing bonus $95k, “A” level performance bonuses $500k, so the AAV is $1.45 million

Pittsburgh's roster doesn't have a lot of open slots for kids such as Ponomarev, Koivunen and McGroarty. It will be interesting to see how their roster shakes out.

Back