• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

It will be interesting to see how Nashville handles this. Askarov forcing their hand doesn't help the Preds in maximizing the potential trade value in return, but the kid looks like an NHL starter in waiting and plenty of teams have a need.

I would expect as the trade rumor mill fires up on this we will hear someone drop the Canes as being in on Askarov as a 1A/B with Kochetkov, pushing Freddie out. Freddie has a M-NTC which allows him to list 15 teams he can refuse a trade to.

Carolina would be a complicated landing spot for Askarov because of all the hoops they'd have to jump through to get a spot cleared, but he WOULD make an excellent platoon option for Kochetkov. Pretty solid bet that one of those two would eventually be able to carry the starter's load on their own.

A mediocre Wedgewood playing ahead of a top prospect like Askarov should piss most people off…gotta admire the kids hunger for the big show, can’t really blame him for wanting out when the starter just signed an 8 year extension to boot.

The Patrik Laine saga is over for now, the Jackets sent him and a 2026 2nd rounder to Montreal for dman Jordan Harris. Harris has played 121 games in the last 2 seasons, with 7 goals, 24 assists, averaging 18:06 per game, 16:36 at even strength.

The Patrik Laine saga is over for now, the Jackets sent him and a 2026 2nd rounder to Montreal for dman Jordan Harris. Harris has played 121 games in the last 2 seasons, with 7 goals, 24 assists, averaging 18:06 per game, 16:36 at even strength.
Jeez. Underwhelming return to say the least, but at least Columbus didn't get stuck with any of Laine's cap hit ... or having to pay him for playing somewhere else. Because you know he's gonna go bonkers this season if he's in any kind of shape. Then, he'll get distracted ... again. Meanwhile CBJ has $18 million in cap space and we get to see what Donny W learned about leveraging that from his time in Raleigh.

I'm kind of blown away by the return as well. Screams salary dump, but dang. add a spare part & there you go!

It will be fun to see what CBJGM Don Waddell builds with it, because you know he's going to do something unexpected.

Jim

If I'm Waddell, I'm looking to absolutely tank this season, which would mean taking on another goaltender would be counterproductive ... because Elvis sucks enough to get the job done. That said, his ownership has never really allowed a GM to tank before ... which is part of their problem.

The Blues and Oilers have made a trade. The Blues send the rights to dman Paul Fischer, who is a rising sophomore at Notre Dame and a 2028 3rd round pick for future considerations.

The Flyers have placed Ryan Johansen on unconditional waivers for contract termination due to a material breach. He has 1 year left at $8 million but the Preds retained half when he was traded to the Avs in 2023. When he was traded from the Avs to the Flyers last March, he claimed to be injured and was waived immediately and assigned to AHL Lehigh Valley.

The Blues and Oilers have made a trade. The Blues send the rights to dman Paul Fischer, who is a rising sophomore at Notre Dame and a 2028 3rd round pick for future considerations.
Is that a nod and wink trade by Armstrong and Bowman to give the Oilers something back useful as a consolation prize for signing away Broberg and Holloway?

Is that a nod and wink trade by Armstrong and Bowman to give the Oilers something back useful as a consolation prize for signing away Broberg and Holloway?
I’m gonna guess it’s the same thing as Waddell sending Massimo Rizzo to the Flyers for TDA, when the Canes forced the Flyers to buy him out after backing out of the trade.

pEsCe AnD NeCaS fOr LaInE!

I don't see how it could be anything else. If Paul Fischer had an NHL contract you could try to spin it as St. Louis wanting to get rid of a contract to make more room under the 50 NHL contract limit but Fischer is still in college.

The Flyers have placed Ryan Johansen on unconditional waivers for contract termination due to a material breach. He has 1 year left at $8 million but the Preds retained half when he was traded to the Avs in 2023. When he was traded from the Avs to the Flyers last March, he claimed to be injured and was waived immediately and assigned to AHL Lehigh Valley.
Remember when Johansen and Duchene were supposed to make Nashville contenders back in the late 20-teens? LOL

Back