• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Some rule changes to be aware of this season. IMO, the most consequential involve adding a coaches challenge for puck over the glass penalties. That can be challenged to determine if the puck was deflected or hit the glass. It can’t be used to determine if a penalty that wasn’t called should have been. A failed challenge results in a bench minor.

The other change involves allowing a warm up for a goalie that comes in as a result of injury. Previously, the new goalie was not afforded a warmup, it only applied when an EBUG entered the game. You might remember Brock McGinn shooting in David Ayres in that game.

View: https://x.com/pr_nhl/status/1836438890573402213?s=46&t=8056gLL6Pl3wbApF5otK6g

The last Forbes valuation of the Leafs that I remember had them just under $3 billion and I just looked up the Raptors' last valuation and it was a little more than $4 billion. No idea what AHL franchises go for, but you figure the Marlies are at the top of that ranking. MLS teams not based in LA, NY or Miami are worth squat and CFL teams are worth roughly half squat ... so maybe a billion and change for all that junk. The real estate is probably another billion ... so that's pretty much a going rate transaction. Wasn't Rogers bleeding cash and slashing costs the last few years, though? I know I saw at least some specualtion last year that they might sell some of their position in MLSE to raise cash.
Toronto FC was valued at $725 million back in January by Sportico.

Toronto FC was valued at $725 million back in January by Sportico.
That tracks ... AHL franchise values apparently average around $12-15 million and the average value of CFL franchises is pretty similar, so even if you figure the Toronto market bumps those two well above the average, then we're still bumping around slightly less than a billion for the sum of the cost of the AHL franchise, the MLS franchise, the CFL franchise and their collective assets.

Yeah ... I'd have big concerns about the drop off from his rookie season if I was Detroit, but ... not my job, man.
Also, worth noting that at least one stats site had Seider with the heaviest, most difficult usage of any regular rotation defenseman in the league last season. All the while lugging around Ben Chairot as a partner. So, some of that slippage HAS to be contextualized. How much? Nobody can say for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah ... Brett said a lot of stuff the last two years. I wish him the best.
He seemed to kind of lose the thread about the time the Athletic Reporter/Ian Cole scandal sent them both on their way. Seems like she was friends with Brett’s dad if I recall.

He seemed to kind of lose the thread about the time the Athletic Reporter/Ian Cole scandal sent them both on their way. Seems like she was friends with Brett’s dad if I recall.
Not sure that had anything to do with anything. I just think Pesce started to feel under-paid and under-appreciated after the 2021-22 season, which was probably his best all around pro season. His numbers were still good the next year, but there were stretches where his focus seemed to drift and I know when it came time in July of 2023 to talk extension that he and the Canes were on different planets. That was when he went out and got his fancy new agent and tried to come in a bit slimmer for 2023-24 ... presumably to pick up the pace a bit, which had started to lag. Then he managed to turn in his worst on-ice work since he was a rookie, and on top of that, he got hurt several times. You can track his timeline's downward arc without considering anything more complicated than his contract status. In the end, he got what he apparently wanted ... to be over-paid relative to expected performance on his next deal after being under-paid on his previous deal. He just didn't get it here. And a lot of what he said along the way was self serving and not always quite honest.

The Devils sign Dawson Mercer, 3 years/$4 million AAV. With Mercer and Moritz under contract, Boston goalie Jeremy Swayman is the biggest unsigned RFA. The Bruins brought in goalie Kasimir Kaskisuo on a PTO. He‘s a 30 year old career minor leaguer, mostly in the Leafs organization. He played 1 game for the Leafs in 19-20 and 1 for the Preds in 20-21. He played for Laval last year after spending the previous 2 years in Sweden.

Yeah. Bit concerning about Swayman. He had apparently been working out informally with their group pre-camp, but he's not on their camp roster and both sides were very careful not to build up any hope that he'd sign before they reported on Wednesday. Sounds like there's been very little progress on that contract. Korpisalo is the only goalie with any real NHL experience on their camp roster.

While we're feeling sorry for the Bruins (sure ... ), Brad Marchand will not be cleared to practice at the start of camp. He had multiple off season surgeries and isn't healthy yet. Sounds like he had separate surgeries on his groin and a for a sports hernia, and those take a hot minute to heal up from, especially in your mid-30s.

Utah signed wing Dylan Guenther to an 8 year extension at $7.14 million AAV. He’s going into the last year of his entry deal. He's played 78 games in his first 2 years. He has 24 goals, 26 assists. That‘s a bold bet.

Utah signed wing Dylan Guenther to an 8 year extension at $7.14 million AAV. He’s going into the last year of his entry deal. He's played 78 games in his first 2 years. He has 24 goals, 26 assists. That‘s a bold bet.
Makes us appreciate the Svech and Jarvis deals a bit more when I see that number up against the games played for Guenther…bold bet indeed.

That's classic Coyotes/Jets thinking there. Wrap him up if he looks any good at all. Worked for Chychrun, I guess and that Keller contract is on wasn't all that dissimilar and it's been a plus for them. Utah may be a more engaged market than Phoenix and ownership is obviously better financed, but they still have the same underlying issues ... a very small market, unique geography/demographics, limited appeal to free agents, not set up to compete any time soon, lots of incentives for your players to get out when they can.

Back