• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Habs had a tough night. Patrik Laine left an injury after colliding with Leafs dman Cedric Pare. I’ve watched the hit dozens of times and I don’t think it was a dirty hit, Pare is entitled to his ice. But the deflection in Laine’s knee looks like several ligaments were damaged, that could be a season ender. David Reinbacher also left the game early after taking what looked like an innocuous hit but his back hit the boards hard. And they‘ll probably lose Arber Xhekaj to a lengthy suspension for jumping Pare later in the game.

View: https://x.com/marcpdumont/status/1840168395649503520?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Yeah, impossible to judge intent there. It was awkward, but that's not the Bryan Marchment accidentally on purpose move that some are accusing Pare of.

Sucker punch city over an incidental knee to knee. Should be a ban for actions detrimental to the game.
This is something that the league really needs to start taking seriously. It came close to getting out of hand last season, when we started to see cheap retaliation for all sorts of clean hits, but the stretch run and the playoffs kind of shut down the momentum. Make no mistake though, we're seeing more and more retaliation for just basic physical play.

This is something that the league really needs to start taking seriously. It came close to getting out of hand last season, when we started to see cheap retaliation for all sorts of clean hits, but the stretch run and the playoffs kind of shut down the momentum. Make no mistake though, we're seeing more and more retaliation for just basic physical play.
Never understood how the game somehow took that dumb turn to a point of having to answer the bell for a clean, well placed hit or even an inadvertent collision...just makes zero sense in the grand scheme of things.

And it's easily addressed. Call a couple of instigator penalties early in the season and watch that nonsense dry right up.

Utah has announced reduced concession prices for all Jazz and hockey games. Bottle water is $2, popcorn, nachos, hot dogs and ice cream is $3.

Speaking of confessions, Storm Brew is up to $11.50 at the arena. IIRC, they was always the price for non-Canes events, it was priced there at the Eagles concert a few years ago.

Utah has announced reduced concession prices for all Jazz and hockey games. Bottle water is $2, popcorn, nachos, hot dogs and ice cream is $3.

Speaking of confessions, Storm Brew is up to $11.50 at the arena. IIRC, they was always the price for non-Canes events, it was priced there at the Eagles concert a few years ago.

Arthur Blank and the Falcons have offered up quite a few reduced priced, select concession choices with great success. More owners should grasp the idea that there is a certain percentage of fans that would likely spend their hard earned, limited dollars on the lower priced items if given a choice over skipping everything entirely over sticker shock at a $10 bottle of water or a $12 hot dog.

worked for fans

Can't remember if I told this here before. Sorry if I did, (brain injury allowance, I hope) because here it goes again;

About that time, the Hurricanes had a promotional poster/ growth chart featuring Sami Kapanen (the Hurricanes shortest player) and Keith Primeau (the Hurricanes tallest player). I glued the poster to a refrigerator box for backing, took an x-acto knife & cut Primeau out, them we made signs to make it look like Primeau was panhandling on a strret corner. I came up with one, "Leading the League in Babysitting" that made the jumbotron. When the trade with the Phlyers happened, my buddy Steve came up with; "We got the Rod & They got the Shaft", which made the lead in on SportsCenter that night. We held it up during the pre-game skate that night and I remember Jeff O'Neill checking it out, laughing, then pointing it out to other teammates as they warmed up. Nobody's done a lifesize poster here since...

Jim

Swayman has never played more than 44 games in a season. He has only played 132 games in his NHL career.

I agree that what Cam Neely did was extremely unprofessional, but I definitely think the Bruins are correct in being reluctant to pay Swayman all that much more than what Jussi Saros got this offseason. Mostly gone are the days where a goalie played 70, 65, heck even 60 games. That means you generally have to pay 2 goalies to be good.

I get all of Swayman's negotiating leverage....."you just made me the #1 when you traded Ullmark and your alternatives if you don't sign me are not good", "the cap is going up, salaries for good goalies are going to continue to go up", ".919 career Sv%". The Bruins of course are used to "players taking less for the common good".

Swayman I think will give in at some point. perhaps agreeing to a shorter term (for $7-8 million AAV) to walk himself to UFA status.

Back