• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Darnell Nurse has 6 more seasons left at $9.25 million AAV.
And a full NMC for the first 3 of them. His actual for 2024-25 is $12 million and $10 million the year after. They could buy him out and they’d actually get a $1.2 million benefit next season and only an $800 k cap hit in 2025-26. But then his signing bonus hits the buyout and there is 1 year at $8.7 million and 3 at $9.6 million.

Oilers had 1 high danger chance in the game, none at 5 on 5. They had 47 shot attempts, 19 on goal, 19 blocked, including 6 by Bouchard, 9 misses.

Panthers played the last 9:28 without Barkov after the Draisaitl hit. If he can’t go on Thursday, with Knoblauch having last change, McDavid might play 30 minutes.

That Drisaitl hit was something else. If this were a proper league that actually gave a shit about its players, ol' Leon would be sitting for a handful of games and getting hit with a huge fine. But since this is not a proper league that actually gives a shit about its players, nothing will become of this except a head injury to one of its players.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tXeDP9PkoI

Darnell Nurse has 6 more seasons left at $9.25 million AAV.
Nurse was only ever "fine" in the first place and that contract never made any sense. Basically it's a mirror image of Seth Jones' contract in Chicago. Both of them are workhorses but neither of them are particularly excellent at anything. Brady Skjei is that same kind of player. So is Hanifin. Getting those kinds of guys locked into super long term contracts is all the red flags.

That Drisaitl hit was something else. If this were a proper league that actually gave a shit about its players, ol' Leon would be sitting for a handful of games and getting hit with a huge fine. But since this is not a proper league that actually gives a shit about its players, nothing will become of this except a head injury to one of its players.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tXeDP9PkoI

Same kind of deal as that Bennett head shot on Marchand. Didn't look half as bad at game speed as it actually was when you slow it down from the right angle. Bennett never got anything extra for his nonsense and neither will Draisaitl ... because you're right. The league doesn't actually care about player safety at all. Especially when it's a household name doing the dirty.

FWIW, Evan Bouchard has been absolutely crucial to the Oilers' success in this playoff run. He came completely unglued in all three zones last night and they were dead in the water.

Same kind of deal as that Bennett head shot on Marchand. Didn't look half as bad at game speed as it actually was when you slow it down from the right angle. Bennett never got anything extra for his nonsense and neither will Draisaitl ... because you're right. The league doesn't actually care about player safety at all. Especially when it's a household name doing the dirty.
The extra will come if Barkov can’t go and the league will wonder why someone took out McDavid or Draisaitl.

The extra will come if Barkov can’t go and the league will wonder why someone took out McDavid or Draisaitl.
I'm thinking Game 3 will be pretty ugly either way, but yeah ... the league is issuing engraved invitations if they don't at least fine him.

League - send in your goons. this is a man’s game. If you ain’t bleedi’ you ain’t trin’.

Oilers fans crying that Foegele didn't deserve a penalty. Go cry some more. It was 100% intent to injure. Oiled suck. They choke again. Refs fault.

Oilers fans crying that Foegele didn't deserve a penalty. Go cry some more. It was 100% intent to injure. Oiled suck. They choke again. Refs fault.
Mostly, I'm seeing them complaining that Bennett didn't get called for a more awkward knee to knee at the net on Bouchard or Desharnais (can't remember, don't care). I mean, fine ... maybe that should have been called and Bennett obviously doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. But that ain't the difference in a game where your top lines got shut out (again) even with Barkov missing a good chunk of the game thanks to some goonery from one of your heroes. Those calls weren't even close to the difference in what amounted to a 3-1 game. Get serious.

Foegele clearly and intentionally stuck his knee out to make contact with Luostarinen. I could accept that he wasn't trying to injure Eetu, but he was definitely trying to make contact with him with his knee.

There are 3 degrees of penalties for Kneeing in the NHL Rule book (the below is pulled from the NHL Rule Book, Rule 50 (Kneeing)
---
Kneeing - Kneeing is the act of a player leading with his knee and in some cases extending his leg outwards to make contact with his opponent.

Minor - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the severity of the infraction, to a player guilty of kneeing an opponent.

Major - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the severity of the infraction, to a player guilty of kneeing an opponent

Match - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by kneeing.

Game Misconduct Penalty - When a player has been assessed a major penalty for kneeing he shall also be assessed a Game Misconduct.
---
There is no possible way Foegele didn't deserve a penalty for kneeing. That was a textbook example of the penalty. For the record, Foegele was not assessed a Match penalty for kneeing, he was given a major for kneeing. That technically means the referees didn't decide that Foegele was intentionally trying to injure Luostarinen. The Major penalty doesn't require intent to injure.

Pound sand Oilers fans, that was 100% kneeing and the officials got that call 100% right. They are lucky as heck that the NHL is not going to suspend Leon Draisaitl for his jumping elbow to Barkov's jaw. THAT play should have been a major for elbowing, a game misconduct and should be punished by a suspension.

Yep. When some panther peasant destroys one of the nhl royalty they’re still gonna whine. And I bet that guy will get suspended.

I think the jumping elbow was a clear attempt to take Barkov out of the series.

Sam Carrick was fined for slashing Dmitry Kulikov. That’s the only supplemental discipline from Player Safety.

Sam Carrick was fined for slashing Dmitry Kulikov. That’s the only supplemental discipline from Player Safety.
I'm gonna say that when you intentionally chop up from the ice into a man's fruit and veg, then yeah ... a fine is the minimum you should expect. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with Carrick getting suspended for a game, except that would just make Edmonton better since he's Sam Carrick.

I'm gonna say that when you intentionally chop up from the ice into a man's fruit and veg, then yeah ... a fine is the minimum you should expect. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with Carrick getting suspended for a game, except that would just make Edmonton better since he's Sam Carrick.

They are prioritizing the wrong head when it comes to player safety

• Haha
Reactions: LJG
Apparently the NHL doesn't make all of the info found on capfriendy available to teams. The insinuation appears to be that some teams rely on capfriendly the same way we fans do. Cap room, LTIR usage, actual cap usage and available room as a result. That is pretty scary. The MEDIA is going to be impacted big time by this. I hate that this is happening myself.

Back