• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Yeah ... every layer of that story gets worse. Hard to process that depth of grief for a family. The local TV station and the Post are reporting a likely drunk, and certainly reckless driver caused the accident, which again ... just makes it even worse. Prayers for the Gaudreau family and the program at Gloucester High where Matthew was coaching and their Dad had coached.

This is the biggest reason I sold my motorcycles while I live in Raleigh. When it starts to happen every time you ride, it's no longer a matter of "if", but "when". Drivers are simply horrible and clueless.
I gave up mine for the same reason plus too many deer out.
Several close calls with each. A deer jumping over my front tire while I was riding was the final straw.

Was listening to the NHL station on XM about an hour ago and they said that Johnny Hockey died in a biking accident. Kinda made me angry for completely erasing the fault of the so-called biking accident. He and brother got ran over by a car that was driven by a possibly drunk driver.

Was listening to the NHL station on XM about an hour ago and they said that Johnny Hockey died in a biking accident. Kinda made me angry for completely erasing the fault of the so-called biking accident. He and brother got ran over by a car that was driven by a possibly drunk driver.
Scroll up

I gave up mine for the same reason plus too many deer out.
Several close calls with each. A deer jumping over my front tire while I was riding was the final straw.
I hit a deer less than a mile from my house. I lived near Falls Lake, between 50 and Six Forks just north of 540. We had deer like city dwellers have pigeons. One day at 11am, I was about to a mile from the house when one ran across in front of me. I hit his back hip with my front tire. He helicoptered off the road and landed roadside. I stayed upright and pulled into the parking lot of my kids school to check the damage. None. I literally hit him with only the front tire. Other than rattled nerves, no damage. The one that ran into the side of my Tundra wasn't as lucky. That one did almost 2k in damage to my truck. I knew to be on high alert for deer in our area, carcor bike. But it became the unaware drivers that made me sell mine. It became harder and harder to forgive the idiots driving cars carelessly.

Utah signed dman Robert Bortuzzo to a 1 year, 2 way contract. He gets $775k in the NHL, $450k in the AHL.

Utah signed dman Robert Bortuzzo to a 1 year, 2 way contract. He gets $775k in the NHL, $450k in the AHL.
He was truly awful for the Islanders last season. Bortuzzo was never fast, but he's basically stationary these days. But hey ... new market ... guy with a Cup ring. I get it.

Filip Zadina, the 6th overall pick in 2018, signed with Davos in Switzerland. He played for the Sharks last season on a 1 year, $1 million contract but wasn’t qualified. He had 13 goals, 10 assists in 72 games, bringing his career total up to 41 goals, 50 assists in 262 games for the Wings and Sharks.

Last edited:
If you’re a subscriber to The Athletic and you—as all of us—can use a reminder about being grateful for what you have, I highly recommend this profile of former Wild forward Stephane Veilleux, who is recovering from a car accident…

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5737583/2024/09/02/nhl-stephane-veilleux-car-crash/
I’m not sure how many more of these unfortunate tragic stories we can hear about and not be thankful and grateful for what we have. This stuff weighs on you just to read about from afar and you hope and pray it never hits close to home. I cannot imagine enduring that kind of recovery and still having the strength to look on it in a positive light.

Back