• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

And of course you're always right...
Still remember him saying Caufiled would not pan out and the best one was when he said the habs should trade their entire picks in 2019 to move up and pick Alex Turcotte. Now that was funny.

Thing is those quality Beck role players fetch you good value at the trade deadline

Lek , Chiariot got you firsts +

I understand your logic but you could go a decade shutout trying to find that Robertson that is a 1-2% success rate in round 2

Drafting 2 singles and 3 doubles over a decade in the second round is fine and maybe luck out and nab one home run

A Beck is exactly what teams are looking for on a contending team , a certain NHLer as soon as next year

Funny thing is if Beck goes 62 and Hutson 33 nobody would care
One thing at a time:

1- There were thoughts that Lehkonen could possibly be a second line winger. Didn't turn out that way, but still, he was drafted on potential.
Speaking of Chiarot, are we talking about the same Ben Chiarot that we signed as a free agent and didn't use any draft picks on? Just making sure.

2- I could go a decade of swings & misses in the second round. But you know what? If in that one year out of ten, I get Sebastien Aho, or Nikita Kucherov? I've got a fucking badass player for the next decade, too.

3- As mentioned over & over, if I want players for my third pairing, or my third or fourth line, I can get them Every. Single. Summer. I could ever get them via trade for peanuts if a team is strapped for cash. Derek Ryan's going to be available in a month, he'll cost us $1M over one year. Reliable, safe, fourth line winger and I won't need to waste a 2nd round pick to get him.

4- If I'm really, really desperate for a player that is in demand for contending teams, I'll just trade for one and give up a second round pick. I'll have a player that's established in the NHL, I know exactly what he's good at and there won't be any projections required, or having to wait 3-4+ years to see if he can actually make the NHL. While I think Beck might even make it on the roster next training camp (I thought he looked more NHL ready than Slafkovsky did last Fall), there's no guarantee he sticks once he's here.

I'm surprised you of all people will take this position.

Still remember him saying Caufiled would not pan out and the best one was when he said the habs should trade their entire picks in 2019 to move up and pick Alex Turcotte. Now that was funny.
Who said that?

The former I didn't say, the latter I did say.

I did have concerns about Caufield for obvious reasons, he's tiny. However I thought that at worst, he'd be a Michael Ryder type. A 25 goal guy that wouldn't have all that much of an impact on games beyond the goals he scores.

While he doesn't have much of an impact on the game overall, he looks like he'll be 40 goal guy every year.

It is best to not have opinions. :p
Meh. I don't mind being wrong. I have my opinions & thoughts, in a board full of people who are scared to dip their toes in the water and try anything that isn't conventional wisdom.

I got some right, I got some wrong, so much of guessing about prospects is just that: A guess.

I did have concerns about Caufield for obvious reasons, he's tiny. However I thought that at worst, he'd be a Michael Ryder type. A 25 goal guy that wouldn't have all that much of an impact on games beyond the goals he scores.

While he doesn't have much of an impact on the game overall, he looks like he'll be 40 goal guy every year.
Boom or bust just the way you like it

One thing at a time:

1- There were thoughts that Lehkonen could possibly be a second line winger. Didn't turn out that way, but still, he was drafted on potential.
Speaking of Chiarot, are we talking about the same Ben Chiarot that we signed as a free agent and didn't use any draft picks on? Just making sure.

2- I could go a decade of swings & misses in the second round. But you know what? If in that one year out of ten, I get Sebastien Aho, or Nikita Kucherov? I've got a fucking badass player for the next decade, too.

3- As mentioned over & over, if I want players for my third pairing, or my third or fourth line, I can get them Every. Single. Summer. I could ever get them via trade for peanuts if a team is strapped for cash. Derek Ryan's going to be available in a month, he'll cost us $1M over one year. Reliable, safe, fourth line winger and I won't need to waste a 2nd round pick to get him.

4- If I'm really, really desperate for a player that is in demand for contending teams, I'll just trade for one and give up a second round pick. I'll have a player that's established in the NHL, I know exactly what he's good at and there won't be any projections required, or having to wait 3-4+ years to see if he can actually make the NHL. While I think Beck might even make it on the roster next training camp (I thought he looked more NHL ready than Slafkovsky did last Fall), there's no guarantee he sticks once he's here.

I'm surprised you of all people will take this position.

I truly get your opinion, and I'm with you for most of it but...

4th liners are easy to get, I don't care about those, I wouldn't even waste a 5th round pick trying to draft those. Good 3rd liners are harder and more expensive to get and keep.

Drafting one superstar a decade is a 10% success rate, I too take that chance every time. Drop it to 5% and it's one every 20 years and that's a bit harder, at 2% it's one every 50 and that's a no go.

My point is that while I agree with you in principle, I'm not a huge fan of hard rules. If you have a player you really like, the floor is high but the ceiling maybe not as much, sure take it. Just don't always take that guy, you need to swing for the fences too. Habs had 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and they went homerun with 2-3 (not sure the potential for Mesar, which might be the more questionable pick of the 4) and played it safe for one. I don't really mind that. If 3 out of 4 were safe picks I'd have a bigger issue.

Caufiled is short, not tiny. To say that a 40 goal guy doesn't have much of an impact on the game overall, I can't agree with. The Habs as a team suck, let's see what his impact on a game is when/if the team is good again one day.

Beck wasn’t put in the “right pecking order” in a traditional way, I think. He was asked to play the big boy minutes against top lines, take D zone face offs, PKs. The Pete’s clearly needed someone like that and he delivered. He was definitely one the reasons why Peterborough knocked off Ottawa, North Bay and London (all of whom had more RS points than the Petes.)

I get he’s not the home run pick that will get 30-35 goals in the NHL. But maybe there’s something to be said for getting a reliable, high IQ battler who could anchor the 3rd line for the better part of a decade. Of course, there are no guarantees with these picks, but let’s see if he can make the jump.

Beck wasn’t put in the “right pecking order” in a traditional way, I think. He was asked to play the big boy minutes against top lines, take D zone face offs, PKs. The Pete’s clearly needed someone like that and he delivered. He was definitely one the reasons why Peterborough knocked off Ottawa, North Bay and London (all of whom had more RS points than the Petes.)

I get he’s not the home run pick that will get 30-35 goals in the NHL. But maybe there’s something to be said for getting a reliable, high IQ battler who could anchor the 3rd line for the better part of a decade. Of course, there are no guarantees with these picks, but let’s see if he can make the jump.
Danault type players are not found everywhere - Make Beliefs for all their home run swinging haven’t been able to find one.

Back