• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

I'm not really worried. So far I like the body of work they've done and I think they'll get it as right as they can. Last year taught us they're also looking down the road and knew Slafkovsky was a project but just a beast physically and talented, they analyze.

I think we're good and if nothing materializes on the trade front we're looking at Smith/Leonard/Michkov.

My order of preference would be

Michkov
Smith
Leonard

But Hughes just beat me out for the job.

I'm not really worried. So far I like the body of work they've done and I think they'll get it as right as they can. Last year taught us they're also looking down the road and knew Slafkovsky was a project but just a beast physically and talented, they analyze.

I think we're good and if nothing materializes on the trade front we're looking at Smith/Leonard/Michkov.

My order of preference would be

Michkov
Smith
Leonard

But Hughes just beat me out for the job.
Oh, I thought they turned to Hughes after you said no.

Would folks rather have (a) Smith or Leonard @ #5 or (b) # 9 AND #17.
9 and 17 in heart beat only if Carlsson and Michkov are gone , draft is very deep

Expect a surprise in the top 5 and Carlsson falls to us and we keep the pick

I think by now Hugo has a clear direction with Michkov , reports are he may stay 5 years at big money

Last edited:
yeah Timmins went safe too often but then again, after being burned by Bustitsyn, no surprise
I'm on the record: I didn't like the Owen Beck pick last season, don't like it now, don't think there'll ever be a time that I will like it. To me, it's a wasted pick.

Owen Beck is a player that, if everything works out, he'll be a smaller Lars Eller. A perennial third line center that puts up in the neighborhood of 13g 20a.

Sorry, but the Lars Eller types (himself included, actually) are available literally every summer. They're useful players, sure, but I rather swing for the fences, try to get a boom or bust type of player, and take my chances there.

There's a reason why everyone here is more excited for Lane Hutson than they are Owen Beck. Hutson's the definition of boom or bust. Incredible upside, but high possibility of him never making it. I'll pick players like that 10 times out of 10.

I'm on the record: I didn't like the Owen Beck pick last season, don't like it now, don't think there'll ever be a time that I will like it. To me, it's a wasted pick.

Owen Beck is a player that, if everything works out, he'll be a smaller Lars Eller. A perennial third line center that puts up in the neighborhood of 13g 20a.

Sorry, but the Lars Eller types (himself included, actually) are available literally every summer. They're useful players, sure, but I rather swing for the fences, try to get a boom or bust type of player, and take my chances there.

There's a reason why everyone here is more excited for Lane Hutson than they are Owen Beck. Hutson's the definition of boom or bust. Incredible upside, but high possibility of him never making it. I'll pick players like that 10 times out of 10.
On the other hand, we have wasted a lot of cap space picking up scraps for the bottom six simply because we couldn't seem to grow our own.

And of course you're always right...

Who knows, I might be wrong. However, when all scouting reports have great things to say about his hockey IQ and his overall play, but once you get to how his offense is, he's universally seen as having limited offensive upside? If you take a player like that in the fourth round, whatever. Throw a dart and hope it works out. With the first pick of the second round, though?

I also don't think it's a coincidence his offensive production dropped once he was traded to a contending team.

Thing is those quality Beck role players fetch you good value at the trade deadline

Lek , Chiariot got you firsts +

I understand your logic but you could go a decade shutout trying to find that Robertson that is a 1-2% success rate in round 2

Drafting 2 singles and 3 doubles over a decade in the second round is fine and maybe luck out and nab one home run

A Beck is exactly what teams are looking for on a contending team , a certain NHLer as soon as next year

Funny thing is if Beck goes 62 and Hutson 33 nobody would care

I do. Kitchener is a tire fire
You mean the team he didn't play for? That's Filip Mesar's team.

And even if you meant the MIssissauga Steelheads, they were a bad team without many good players. He got more opportunity there by default, and good for him for jumping on those opportunities. But once he was traded to a competitive team, he was placed in the right pecking order.

Back