• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

?

He's 25 and just had his first actual good season in the NHL. I doubt he's a player you'd ever have to worry holding on to. Hell, I doubt he's even on your team 16 months from now. Seems like the idea player you'd trade to a Cup contender for a 1st+ because of his minuscule caphit.

Besides, Chicago's going to be in the bottom 3 for at least 2-3 more years. There's absolutely nothing at the NHL level and you're not swimming in prospects either.
I recently read our system was top 10 pre Bedard and our incoming picks, i have to assume it will be top 3 in a year. Reichel, Korchinski, Nazar, Greene, Del Mastro, RInzel, Commesso, and Safonov isnt bad.

Chicago will be fine but the extra expense of protective butt plugs might cost Wirtz on the bottom line.

I recently read our system was top 10 pre Bedard and our incoming picks, i have to assume it will be top 3 in a year. Reichel, Korchinski, Nazar, Greene, Del Mastro, RInzel, Commesso, and Safonov isnt bad.
It's a lot like the Habs system: More quantity than quality.

The only player in there I'd be truly excited for is Korchinski. He seems like he has great upside. Maybe Reichel too. Everyone else, we'll see. Some will make it, some won't, but they're longshots for being impact players.

I mean, almost nobody watched the draft to begin with beyond the teams in the lottery, and only the truly hardcores and/or draft lovers watch day 2.

I dunno, I just don't get it.
They watch the first round and Wednesday is a dead TV night without sports going. This is trying to boost ratings. Thursday is just the next day of draft. It's Wednesday they wanted.

They watch the first round and Wednesday is a dead TV night without sports going. This is trying to boost ratings. Thursday is just the next day of draft. It's Wednesday they wanted.
I think it'll have the opposite effect, really. The best-case scenario will be, the rating will be identical to what they are every year.

People held draft parties on Friday night, then went on to do their thing after. I doubt there'll be many draft parties on a Wednesday night.

And day 2? Yeah, I don't think anyone's skipping work to watch Day 2. I know I won't be able to.

I think it'll have the opposite effect, really. The best-case scenario will be, the rating will be identical to what they are every year.

People held draft parties on Friday night, then went on to do their thing after. I doubt there'll be many draft parties on a Wednesday night.

And day 2? Yeah, I don't think anyone's skipping work to watch Day 2. I know I won't be able to.
Not enough people apparently. Friday is a busy night for going out or watching other stuff. I read speculation that this is for espn.

Even historically in the top 5 it hasn’t been that costly.

2004: 4th OA for 8OA + 59th
2008: 5th vs 7th + 2nd & 3rd
2003: 1OA + 73rd vs 3OA + 55th
I don't think it would cost much last year or this year to get into the top 10.

But the players at the spot matter. Otherwise let's just move to first overall! :p

I'm still thinking we get a bit of a shock in the top 4.

For teams like Chicago & Philthydelphia, it's completely understandable why they would use their capspace to inherit bad contracts in return for picks/prospects. To me, Montreal isn't that far ahead of Chicago/Philthydelphia that they should be shunning that notion.

I'm just worried that Montreal's going to try to fast-forward things and try to start being competitive soon, when they have no business whatsoever to be even thinking that. The whole, "we can't have another bad year, we need to strive to compete for the playoffs!" shit? They can fuck right off with that, this team stinks. There's probably one first-line player (Caufield), no top pair d-man, no #1 goalie, the depth is questionable...

I don't think Montreal can really start thinking about being competitive until they find a truly elite, or potentially elite, prospect that can be considered the guy.
This year any improvement should come from within. Don't be trading for or signing help.

Deal stuff at the deadline and also look for taking on cap for this year.

Monahan will sign somewhere for peanuts on a one year deal. I hope it’s with us, but if I’m him I’d target a team like the Leafs where he could really jazz up his stats before a real UFA deal

This year any improvement should come from within. Don't be trading for or signing help.

Deal stuff at the deadline and also look for taking on cap for this year.
Exactly ......young D , Cole , Nick, Dach all have another upward level to achieve

Sprinkle in a few kids like Beck on a short term basis and dump the expiring contracts at the deadline

2025 is the year to analyze the next steps and get a better understanding how far the yutes have developed like Hutson and Mailloux

Team should have a clearer picture what is needed to move to the competitive stage

Monahan will sign somewhere for peanuts on a one year deal. I hope it’s with us, but if I’m him I’d target a team like the Leafs where he could really jazz up his stats before a real UFA deal
Leafs on the cheap is a great fit with incentives

It'll be with us. I saw it in an opium mist vision.

Back