• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

I just saw that the draft is on the 28th & 29th of June. Like, what the fuck?

For some reason I thought it was next Friday & Saturday, but what's it doing on a Wednesday-Thursday?

The NHL, still an unserious league.
Catering to TV

I mean, almost nobody watched the draft to begin with beyond the teams in the lottery, and only the truly hardcores and/or draft lovers watch day 2.

I dunno, I just don't get it.

Yeah, let’s draft a Tory Krug type player at 5OA.
Maybe not the best example, but I thought Quinn Hughes might be a stretch. Anyway, I'm not sold on Sandin-Pelikka. As I said earlier, I prefer Leonard, who will likely be there at 5 anyway. If they choose to pass on Leonard, then I prefer Sandin-Pelikka over Smith.

For teams like Chicago & Philthydelphia, it's completely understandable why they would use their capspace to inherit bad contracts in return for picks/prospects. To me, Montreal isn't that far ahead of Chicago/Philthydelphia that they should be shunning that notion.

I'm just worried that Montreal's going to try to fast-forward things and try to start being competitive soon, when they have no business whatsoever to be even thinking that. The whole, "we can't have another bad year, we need to strive to compete for the playoffs!" shit? They can fuck right off with that, this team stinks. There's probably one first-line player (Caufield), no top pair d-man, no #1 goalie, the depth is questionable...

I don't think Montreal can really start thinking about being competitive until they find a truly elite, or potentially elite, prospect that can be considered the guy.

For teams like Chicago & Philthydelphia, it's completely understandable why they would use their capspace to inherit bad contracts in return for picks/prospects. To me, Montreal isn't that far ahead of Chicago/Philthydelphia that they should be shunning that notion.

I'm just worried that Montreal's going to try to fast-forward things and try to start being competitive soon, when they have no business whatsoever to be even thinking that. The whole, "we can't have another bad year, we need to strive to compete for the playoffs!" shit? They can fuck right off with that, this team stinks. There's probably one first-line player (Caufield), no top pair d-man, no #1 goalie, the depth is questionable...

I don't think Montreal can really start thinking about being competitive until they find a truly elite, or potentially elite, prospect that can be considered the guy.
Chicago also has 4 seconds, 2 firsts in 24, and 2 firsts in 25.

Not that i think they'd move any of the 1's, but all those picks combined with the ability to take on just about any deal (3 years or less) moving up should be very attainable

Chicago also has 4 seconds, 2 firsts in 24, and 2 firsts in 25.

Not that i think they'd move any of the 1's, but all those picks combined with the ability to take on just about any deal (3 years or less) moving up should be very attainable
Sure, that's something that Chicago could do if there's a player (or hell, two) that they've identified. I wouldn't be in any hurry to move up more than once if I were them, though. The draft is such a crap shoot, even in the top-10. Besides Bedard & Fantilli, I wouldn't fall out of my chair if anyone behind them ended up not living up to their draft status.

I'm of the opinion, get as many roll of the dice as you can in the first & second round, draft for upside, and hope you get some double, triples and homeruns.

Sure, that's something that Chicago could do if there's a player (or hell, two) that they've identified. I wouldn't be in any hurry to move up more than once if I were them, though. The draft is such a crap shoot, even in the top-10. Besides Bedard & Fantilli, I wouldn't fall out of my chair if anyone behind them ended up not living up to their draft status.

I'm of the opinion, get as many roll of the dice as you can in the first & second round, draft for upside, and hope you get some double, triples and homeruns.
Giving up a 2nd, sure, but if i can move up to get Benson, Moore, Pellikka, or Reinbacher, i happily take on a shit deal and surrender a Raddysh, who will likely be too expensive when we're good.

Christmas Land is if Michkov falls far enough, in that scenario, i take on whatever contract and move a couple 2's

100% agree. HuGo needs to keep the "Fuck the fans" plan in place for another season.

Giving up a 2nd, sure, but if i can move up to get Benson, Moore, Pellikka, or Reinbacher, i happily take on a shit deal and surrender a Raddysh, who will likely be too expensive when we're good.

Christmas Land is if Michkov falls far enough, in that scenario, i take on whatever contract and move a couple 2's
?

He's 25 and just had his first actual good season in the NHL. I doubt he's a player you'd ever have to worry holding on to. Hell, I doubt he's even on your team 16 months from now. Seems like the idea player you'd trade to a Cup contender for a 1st+ because of his minuscule caphit.

Besides, Chicago's going to be in the bottom 3 for at least 2-3 more years. There's absolutely nothing at the NHL level and you're not swimming in prospects either.

?

He's 25 and just had his first actual good season in the NHL. I doubt he's a player you'd ever have to worry holding on to. Hell, I doubt he's even on your team 16 months from now. Seems like the idea player you'd trade to a Cup contender for a 1st+ because of his minuscule caphit.

Besides, Chicago's going to be in the bottom 3 for at least 2-3 more years. There's absolutely nothing at the NHL level and you're not swimming in prospects either.
Oh i agree, move him, anyone really that can net more value, at some point his deal runs out and he'd get a raise of some sort, not interested in paying it.

Back