• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

only if he passes on a star — if Leonard turns into a 55 point pest, I am not going to sweat it
That's all I see Leonard being; a good but not great player. Another Gallagher. Probably not even as good as pre-knee injury Koivu. Michkov could be generational. If he's there at 5 you take a chance on greatness, you don't settle for "safe". That's essentially what the Habs did last year when they passed on the safe pick with Wright and took the higher ceiling of Slafkovsky

AKos was supposed to be a star that wasn’t passed on, but quickly became a turd. There will inevitably be players picked mid / late 1st who turn out way better than draft day projections including stars
AK was a total fuck up and reach at 9

Draft had 10-20 top talents and Habs fucked up royally , set them back years

I still kind of like Leonard over Smith at #5, assuming Bedard, Fantilli,Carlsson,Michkov gone. But the fact McCagg does too does not inspire my confidence in saying that. I'd also pick Sandin-Pellikka over Smith. Or trade the bloody pick. I'm not gung-ho on the upside of either of the two (Leonard,Smith), based on my limited knowledge of them.
I was listening to Simon Boisvert on the draft podcast and he made a good point about Sandin-Pelikka & players like that. He had RSP up & down his list, but it made him think of other players like him that he had high in his list but never really became what he thought they'd be once they arrived in North America.

To him, Sandin-Pelikka, Erik Brunstrom, Rasmus Sandin, Nils Lundkvist, they're one and the same. They're third pairing, offensive puck moving d-men that need to be sheltered. All of them showed flashes of skill, but when they actually started playing in the NHL, their assets weren't able to fully translate.

It's good food for thought.

those draft guides would easily have outperformed Timmins for two decades

hope Hugo can reverse that
The SBNation Canucks site actually did that. Dave Nonis Vs Potato. The potato would only select the highest scoring forward in the CHL available. No d-men or goalies, no other leagues. In every year, the Potato did a much better job than Nonis.

I was listening to Simon Boisvert on the draft podcast and he made a good point about Sandin-Pelikka & players like that. He had RSP up & down his list, but it made him think of other players like him that he had high in his list but never really became what he thought they'd be once they arrived in North America.

To him, Sandin-Pelikka, Erik Brunstrom, Rasmus Sandin, Nils Lundkvist, they're one and the same. They're third pairing, offensive puck moving d-men that need to be sheltered. All of them showed flashes of skill, but when they actually started playing in the NHL, their assets weren't able to fully translate.

Plus SP is small , hard pass

Other scouts were also saying that this is the wrong draft to pick a defenseman in the top 10, which we’re famous to go against the grain but I have faith in the regime. Still feel like Reinbacher could be a fit though depending on his upside (I never seen him play and I see him ranked all over the place)

There certainly is merit in that. For a few years now there has been kind of a love affair with these kind of defencemen, where size may not matter as much as mobility. The kind of questions Boisvert illustrates above may now represent a kind of balancing out of that view. The type of bigger defence Vegas, and St. Louis before them, put out there may be adding fuel to that.

But the risk that Sandin-Pelikka may be of the same ilk as those listed above may not be greater than the risk of Smith and perhaps Leonard too not becoming all that much either. There will continue to be a need for mobile puck moving defenceman. like Torrey Krug, I prefer Sandin-Pelikka over the other two, maybe simply because I was impressed with him in the World Juniors.

Last edited:
There certainly is merit in that. For a few years now there has been kind of a love affair with these kind of defencemen, where size may not matter as much as mobiity. The kind of questions Boisvert illustrates above may now represent a kind of balancing out of that view. The type of bigger defence Vegas, and St. Louis before them, put out there may be adding fuel to that.

But the risk that Sandin-Pelikka may be of the same ilk as those listed above may not be greater than the risk of Smith and perhaps Leonard too not becoming all that much either. There will continue to be a need for mobile puck moving defenceman. like Torrey Krug, I prefer Sandin-Pelikka over the other two, maybe simply because I was impressed with him in the World Juniors.
Yeah, let’s draft a Tory Krug type player at 5OA.

Last edited:
There certainly is merit in that. For a few years now there has been kind of a love affair with these kind of defencemen, where size may not matter as much as mobiity. The kind of questions Boisvert illustrates above may now represent a kind of balancing out of that view. The type of bigger defence Vegas, and St. Louis before them, put out there may be adding fuel to that.

Despite popular thought, the NHL is littered with defensemen with size. Those that aren't big need to be exceptionally good with the puck to be in the top-4. If they aren't, they'll always struggle to be a regular in the NHL.

I really wish RSP played in North America instead of Sweden. It would give us such a better idea about what his real potential is.

Back