• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

So, in short:

-High energy
-High floor
-Power forward, albeit a little small for the role
-Everybody seems to question his offensive upside, regardless of where they have him ranked.

My issue with Leonard is, if you're projecting him and his style into the NHL, how does it translate?

The NHL isn't littered with 5'11" power forwards. It's easy to say he's a pain in the ass to play against when his size isn't a detriment yet. But if you play him against Alex Pietrangelo, for example, will he be able to overcome the size & strength disadvantage?

The way Leonard is described, he's sounding like Ondrej Palat, who isn't a bad player at all. However, I'm not sure anyone would be super thrilled if they got an Ondrej Palat clone at fifth overall.

I wouldn't be interested in Leonard at 5. If you're drafting at 5, you should be trying to get a player with immense upside.

Yep. I said the same when his name first surfaced here. #5 is for upside for me, otherwise I’d be tempted to trade down…or gamble on Michkov
I would be perfectly fine with Leonard at 10-12. At 5, though? Nope. No thanks.

I'm on team trade down. Call up Detroit. 5 & 31 for 9, 17 & 43.

I wouldn't be that angry if we took Leonard, I'd just be massively underwhelmed. I'd be much, much more interested if his body type was similar to Brady/Matthew Tkachuk, but at 5'11? Meh.

One player I would actually be furious if we took? Like, legitimately want to get angry we took him? Oliver Moore.

I was listening to Simon Boisvert talk about him in the draft episode and he used NHL comparables that fit this prospects's description perfectly:

Moore is a speedy, smart, and creative two-way center with significant upside. His greatest asset is undoubtedly his exceptional skating ability, which many consider the best in the draft class. This skill allows him to dictate the tempo of the game and drive play in a way that few others can. His offensive capabilities are impressive, boasting a strong shot with a quick release and notable playmaking abilities. Moore is adept at weaving through the neutral zone, using his speed and hands to exploit holes in opposing defenses and constantly probing for ways to penetrate the interior of the ice with the puck. Defensively, Moore is sound and demonstrates a strong commitment to his own end. With the right coaching, he has the potential to become a highly effective defensive player. Throughout the season, Moore has consistently showcased his elite skating and complete offensive toolkit, dominating the ice and creating numerous scoring chances for his team. However, there are areas where he could improve, such as decision-making with the puck and refining his shooting ability. At times, he has displayed a tendency for recklessness, attempting ill-advised passes or trying to stickhandle into traffic with little support, leading to turnovers. Despite these occasional lapses, Moore projects as a potential top-six center at the NHL level. His ability to generate offense, play with pace, and excel in both offensive and defensive aspects of the game make him a highly sought-after talent. At the very least, he is expected to become a productive middle-six play driver.

He said Moore is like the two McLeod brothers, Ryan & Michael. Among the best skaters in the NHL, but without a complimental arsenal of tools that can follow their speed.

I would be perfectly fine with Leonard at 10-12. At 5, though? Nope. No thanks.

I'm on team trade down. Call up Detroit. 5 & 31 for 9, 17 & 43.
Everyone but Michkov or Smith at 5 is a bit underwhelming. Benson might be the more intriguing of the rest but he’s another small guy. Leonard, Reinbacher are high ceiling guys, questionable upside. I’m not impressed with Dvorsky. Not sure who else should be our pick at 5.

No, he's an Eastern European. They don't do nuanced speech. Everything is brutally direct.

Years ago I was in a restaurant with a group of co-workers, one of whom was Russian. When he ordered his meal and the waitress asked him if he wanted sour cream on his baked potato he said "Of course!" in a tone that sounded like "Of course, bitch. What the fuck is wrong with you?" A Canadian would have answered "Yes please". The guy wasn't pissed off or trying to bawl out the waitress, it's just the way these people talk.

A Russian wouldn't see the need to politely decline from meeting with a team. He'd just tell them straight up that he has no intention of playing for them so it's a waste of both their time. Nothing personal, just "it is what it is".
I can attest to this. My Lithuanian grandma had no filter or ability to sugar coat anything.

My favorite was when my uncle (her son) came to visit. She hadn't seen him in a year or so and he had probably gained 10-20 lbs. First thing she says in a thick Lithuanian accent is "look at you, fat, face all red... you're a hazard!!"

Just stay at 5…..and pick whomever is still available between MM and Fresh Prince

Why in the world would Ducks trade Fantilli pick…you can never have enough young elite C

Worst case, they move him to wing, or trade one of their other C if Fantilli surpasses them in upcoming years.

Just stay at 5…..and pick whomever is still available between MM and Fresh Prince

Why in the world would Ducks trade Fantilli pick…you can never have enough young elite C

Worst case, they move him to wing, or trade one of their other C if Fantilli surpasses them in upcoming years.
The Habs don't need a scouting dept. if they're just going to do that. HuGo can just buy draft guides and go off their lists for the consensus picks.

So, in short:

-High energy
-High floor
-Power forward, albeit a little small for the role
-Everybody seems to question his offensive upside, regardless of where they have him ranked.
Sounds like a typical Habs player of the last 25 years. Good but not great, undersized, 1st line forward on a mediocre team like ours but a second or third line guy on an elite one. To me, Leonard sounds like just a slightly larger Gallagher, a smallish guy who plays big and winds up having a career beset by injuries that eventually turn him into a shadow of his former self.

Pass. Take Michkov if he's available.

Sounds like a typical Habs player of the last 25 years. Good but not great, undersized, 1st line forward on a mediocre team like ours but a second or third line guy on an elite one. To me, Leonard sounds like just a slightly larger Gallagher, a smallish guy who plays big and winds up having a career beset by injuries that eventually turn him into a shadow of his former self.

Pass. Take Michkov if he's available.
I was just about to write the same about Leonard.

Gotta throw this out there:

Scenario: Habs aren’t able to move up, 5OA pick is there’s w Michkov available and if rumors are accurate that HuGo have no interest in drafting MM:

Would you make the deal if NYR are willing to offer Lafreniere + Kaako for 5OA?

The NHL needs one of those NFL charts which tells you if a trade is of equal value
Some dude on Montreal Hockey Now had one a week ago based on historical averages

Suggested it should be no more than a third or second rounder to move up 3 spots which is way too low

But I agree adding 31 plus a Harris + is more than enough

Back