• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

Gotta throw this out there:

Scenario: Habs aren’t able to move up, 5OA pick is there’s w Michkov available and if rumors are accurate that HuGo have no interest in drafting MM:

Would you make the deal if NYR are willing to offer Lafreniere + Kaako for 5OA?
NNNNNNNNN OOOOOOOOOOOOO

You might end up with 2 50 point players not good enough

If they throw in Kande , now its a conversation

Scenario: Habs aren’t able to move up, 5OA pick is there’s w Michkov available and if rumors are accurate that HuGo have no interest in drafting MM:

If he's dead set against Michkov then sure I might do that. You have to think that Gorton knows these two players better than most.

Here we go again with Lafreniere or PLD 🤦🏻‍♂️

K'Andre Miller and Lafreniere you mean

Some dude on Montreal Hockey Now had one a week ago based on historical averages

Suggested it should be no more than a third or second rounder to move up 3 spots which is way too low

But I agree adding 31 plus a Harris + is more than enough
Well shit... Let's trade a 2nd AND a 3rd to move up 4 spots.

I still kind of like Leonard over Smith at #5, assuming Bedard, Fantilli,Carlsson,Michkov gone. But the fact McCagg does too does not inspire my confidence in saying that. I'd also pick Sandin-Pellikka over Smith. Or trade the bloody pick. I'm not gung-ho on the upside of either of the two (Leonard,Smith), based on my limited knowledge of them.

Last edited:
only if he passes on a star — if Leonard turns into a 55 point pest, I am not going to sweat it
AKos was supposed to be a star that wasn’t passed on, but quickly became a turd. There will inevitably be players picked mid / late 1st who turn out way better than draft day projections including stars

We forumicers don’t need to get it right but Hughes has to fucking nail #5

ie If he passes on Michkov and he turns into a phenom, he’ll be dodging questions until the grave.
I'll always remember fondly that pretty much all of us were calling to draft Caufield that year when he was available, and were holding our breath, afraid they would screw it up with taking someone else. We can live off that one for awhile. It was a group thing.

Back