• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

There's a distinction in the industry that you choose to ignore. That doesn't mean it isn't there.

It’s not ignorance.
It’s mindfully interpreting and contextualizing the words you hear with the actions observed.

It’s not 100% science, that’s what makes it a discussion

It’s not ignorance.
It’s mindfully interpreting and contextualizing the words you hear with the actions observed.

It’s not 100% science, that’s what makes it a discussion
Surely and fair however these yokel Canuck boys have created industry terminology to get points across quickly.

Rebuild vs retool is exactly that.

I’m okay with the pick. Really wanted Michkov but we will see how this turns out.
Simachev looked Pretty surprised to be taken 6th.

I'm not either, but I was last night. It's the pattern that annoys me, it's like the Habs as an org don't want us to enjoy spectacular players.
They don't. They never have. Practically every star player they've ever had, going all the way back to the Rocket, have been got rid of as soon as management felt that they were getting "too big" for the team or were taking up too much of the public's attention. They prefer humble players who are dependent on the organization, not the other way around. That's why they duped the Rocket into retirement with the promise of a front office job that turned out to be ceremonial only, why they traded Doug Harvey because he was involved in trying to start a union, why they traded Dickie Moore because they didn't like the fact that he had side hustles that were making him more money than his NHL salary, why they let Dryden sit out a year over a contract dispute, why they pushed Lafleur into premature retirement because he was embarrassing the organization off the ice, why they traded Chelios for the same reason, why they traded Roy after he publicly humiliated his coach and GM on national television and why they traded PK when he bit the hand that feeds.

Exciting offensively gifted players often have egos. The Habs front office does not indulge any egos but their own. They'd rather have a humble 30 goal scorer than an elite, flashy, bigger than the team 50 goal scorer. They choose humility every single time.

This wasn't an easy draft to predict. Even listening to Hughes you can see they went somewhere he didn't want to go but the bosses are the bosses. Molson stepped in and had Gorton veto Hughes.

When they reacquired the team it went back to the political concerns.
Nobody but Geoff Molson cares. Michkov is not Putin.

Anaheim might have made the worst pick in the top 10 group. Passing on Fantilli seems moronic.
I don't think so. I think Verbeek went with the low key Verbeek type player. Lunch pail producer.

I'm high on Carlsson and don't find that a huge leap. I'd have taken Fantilli though.

After selecting Reinbacher? They should have traded 5 for Askarov, 15 and 24. You could have drafted Sandin-Pellikka instead and still had Musty.
Sandin-P is too small, especially with Hutson on the way. There were only 2 d-men in the playoffs under 6 feet tall. Not a coincidence.

Back