• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024-25 Hurricanes Prospects and Minors Thread

Wasn’t the prospect camp this week? Has anyone seen any reports? I figure we need at least 1 forward ti make the big team.

Yegor Naumov, our 2021 7th round goalie prospect who disappeared for a few years and suddenly re-emerged in a Russian 2nd tier junior league appears to have signed on with Dinamo-Melodechno of the Belerus Extraligue (which is their top league). That team has 4 other goalies so I have no idea if Naumov is going to get playing time or not. None of the 5 goalies on their current roster played for the team last season.

Dinamo-Melodechno finished dead last in 23-24 with a stellar 14-34-7 record. This is the same team that Yegor Velmakin, another of our Russian goalie prospects, ended up playing for last season when he was demoted from KHL Minsk (he went 1-7-0, with a .926 Sv% there).

Last edited:
Yegor Naumov, our 2021 7th round goalie prospect who disappeared for a few years and suddenly re-emerged in a Russian 2nd tier junior league appears to have signed on with Dinamo-Melodechno of the Belerus Extraligue (which is their top league). That team has 4 other goalies so I have no idea if Naumov is going to get playing time or not. None of the 5 goalies on their current roster played for the team last season.

Dinamo-Melodechno finished dead last in 23-24 with a stellar 14-34-7 record. This is the same team that Yegor Velmakin, another of our Russian goalie prospects, ended up playing for last season when he was demoted from KHL Minsk (he went 1-7-0, with a .926 Sv% there).
1-7/.926? Did they score 1 goal total in those 8 games?

The Wolves signed forward Nikita Pavlychev to a AHL contract. He's 6’7”, 225 lbs. He was drafted by the Pens in 2015 and played 4 years at Penn St. He’s alternated between the ECHL and AHL all 4 years since leaving college, the last 3 with the Ontario Reign and Greenville Swamp Rabbits. He was nearly a point per game player for Greenville.

Looking at what Carolina will be sending to AHL Chicago, I'd expect a couple more of these before camps break. Wolves ownership loves to over-pay a productive AHL scorer or two, just to make sure the fans get something to cheer about.

Looking at what Carolina will be sending to AHL Chicago, I'd expect a couple more of these before camps break. Wolves ownership loves to over-pay a productive AHL scorer or two, just to make sure the fans get something to cheer about.
The difference in the new agreement is that everything has to be run through the Canes; when they re-affiliated it was made clear that the Canes oversee all hockey operations. But if the Wolves are willing to pony up for AHL contracts, I don’t think there will be much, if any, pushback from the Canes.

Yeah ... that's what I meant. They may not have management control but that ownership group still directly benefits from their local TV deal so they'll be willing to spend their own money on an AHL vet or two.

The Canes signed a working agreement with ECHL Bloomington Bison. The Bison are an expansion team and have a formal affiliation agreement with the Rangers. The francishimis owned by the same group that owns the ECHL Indy Fuel. The GM/coach is Phillip Barski. He’s a first time head coach, he spent the last 2 years as an assistant at OHL Barrie and 2 years before that as an assistant at ECHL Greenville. The advantage to working with Bloomington is proximity to Chicago, the 2 arenas are a little over a 2 hour drive away.

Yay! Bloomington IL! But they kind of blew it with the team name. It should be the Bloomington Normals. Oh well

Bloomington Bloomers. Nice to have this detail nailed down, but again ... in a normal season with a proper AHL affiliate, we're talking about Carolina needing to place 2-3 prospects in the ECHL. Being an informal affiliate is perfectly fine.

I lived in Normal.
Me too! 1993-95 then I moved to Raleigh with a friend that I met there who grew up down here. His dad was an English prof at ISU and I moved down there from Chicago because my then girlfriend went to ISU for her Masters in English. Reggie Redbird 4 Life!

Back