• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024-25 Hurricanes Prospects and Minors Thread

cmaleski2

As we start to enter the NHL silly season, here is where things stand in terms of the prospect list. I'm doing this partly to make things easier to integrate the players we draft later this week, and to separate out players I don't expect to track next season. I also updated some info on where certain kids are now slated to be next season (ie see Michael Emerson and Nikita Quapp). The Canes having an AHL affiliate again and the signings of college kids will reduce the size of next year's tracker list significantly. The Russians of course will end up all over the map as the season progresses:

Let's start with players I'm dropping from last season's list and why:

Chicago or Norfolk bound players:

Jackson Blake W (4th Round 2021)
Noel Gunler W (2nd Round 2020)
Alexsi Heimosalmi RHD (2nd Round 2021)
Anttoni Honka RHD (3rd round 2019)
Charles-Alexis Legault RHD (5th Round 2023)
Scott Morrow RHD (2nd Round 2021)
Bradley Nadeau LW (1st Round 2023)

Gleb Trikozov LW (2nd Round 2022)

If Gunler, Heimosalmi, or Honka end up back in Europe I will add them back to the main tracker list.

Players who we no longer have rights to or I expect we are not going to re-sign:
Zion Nybeck LW (4th round 2020) -
June 1 2024 was the signing deadline. He is no longer on the Canes reserve list
Alexander Pashin RW (7th round 2020) - Both sides agreed to terminate his contract.
Tuukka Tieksola RW (4th round 2019) - Technically an RFA, I don't think we are going to give him a qualifying offer
Jacob Kucharski G (7th round 2018 ECHL Reading) - In theory we actually have his signing rights still. I'm dropping him from the list anyway because I fully expect him to not play hockey above maybe beer league (I won't be able to find his stats there). If that changes I will add him back.

Here is the prospect tracking list for 24-25 so far:

Michael Emerson F (6th Round 2023 Hockey East Merrimack So.)
Simon Forsmark LHD (4th Round 2022 SweHL Timra)
Vladimir Grudinin LHD (5th Round 2022 KHL Severstal Cherepovets)
Nikita Guslistov C (7th round 2021 ???) -
I know there was talk of him coming over North America, but I don't see any sign that happened yet. He also doesn't appear to have a deal in Russia yet
Lucas Mercuri C (6th round 2020 Hockey East UMASS-Amherst Sr.)
Bryce Montgomery RHD (6th round 2021 ????)
- June 1, 2025 must sign by date
Timur Mukhanov LW (6th Round 2023 KHL Severstal Cherepovets)
Alexander Nikishin LHD (3rd round 2020 KHL SKA St. Petersburg)
Joel Nystrom RHD (7th round 2021 SweHL Färjestad) -
Signed entry level deal with Canes but will stay in Sweden.
Alexander Pelevin LHD (7th round 2022 VHL (Russian Minors) Torpedo Gorky NN)
Alexander Perevalov LW (3rd Round 2022 KHL Avangard Omsk)
Jayden Perron RW (3rd Round 2023 NCHC U of North Dakota So.)
Alexander Rykov RW (4th Round 2023 KHL Traktor Chelyabinsk)
Felix Unger Sörum RW (2nd Round 2023 SHL Leksands IF)
- I'm expecting him to stay in Sweden for another season
Stanislav Yarovoi LW (4th Round 2023 KHL Vityaz Moscow Region)

Patrik Hamrla G (3rd Round 2021 ????)
Ruslan Khazheyev G (5th Round 2023 ???) -
We did sign this kid to an entry level deal, but I doubt he plays in NA this season (he currently is not signed to a Russian pro team)
Yegor Naumov G (7th round 2021 ???) - I don't know if he is going to play this coming season or not.
Nikita Quapp G (6th round 2021 DEL Dusseldorfer) - June 1, 2025 must sign by date
Yegor Velmakin G (7th Round 2023 KHL Dinamo Minsk)
Jakub Vondras G (6th round 2022 OHL Sudbury) -
June 1, 2025 must sign by date

Also just to note, we have David Kase, Joey Keane, Tarmo Reunanen and Jesper Sellgren on our reserve list as well. Kase will drop off on June 30th (assuming we don't sign him). Reunanen and Sellgren drop off June 30th 2026. Joey Keane would drop off June 30, 2027. I don't bother tracking these guys as they are not really prospects and are very unlikely to end up signing with the Canes (ever).

Last edited:
FWIW, looks like there's been some movement on Nikishin. His agent is now saying that he's committed to letting his SKA contract expire, which was in response to rumors that he would sign an extension in Russia. By all accounts he's ready and eager to come to the US when his deal in the KHL runs down.

FWIW, looks like there's been some movement on Nikishin. His agent is now saying that he's committed to letting his SKA contract expire, which was in response to rumors that he would sign an extension in Russia. By all accounts he's ready and eager to come to the US when his deal in the KHL runs down.
The Michkov development was strange and Philly reaps the rewards early on that kid..

The Michkov development was strange and Philly reaps the rewards early on that kid..
I mean, I guess the timing was strange ... but if a player wants to eventually shift to the NHL then they may as well get on with it so they can wrap up whatever ELC commitment they have so they can get to the real money. The longer they wait, the more complicated it gets ... and meanwhile they're stuck playing in a 2nd rate league. For 1st rate money, for sure, but the better the player, the more incentive they have to eventually play in the highest profile league. And so long as they still are stuck playing for an ELC deal then there's no incentive to play games trying to pick a market. Just burn that time with the team that has your draft rights and figure out from there. A whole lot of the so-called reporting surrounding these guys is riddled with bad information and worse assumptions. And that can make the mundane seem a bit odd.

As has been noted a few times, Nikishin is a superstar and Captain of Vlad Putin's favorite KHL team. I assume there is tremendous pressure on the kid to stay put in Russia as long possible. If the kid really wants to come over, and it sounds like he does, this final year as the KHL's top Dman is the best Russia should have hoped for.

I will remain nervous though until the kid has signed his entry level deal (WITH THE CANES) and has safely arrived here in the US. Hopefully he proves to be 'all that and then some' because the Canes have a spot on the NHL roster waiting for him in 25-26 when Orlov's contract expires. We really could use a 2 way high end blueline talent.

New draft pick additions so far....

Nikita Artamonov W (2nd Round 2024 KHL Nizhny Novgorod)
Fyodor Avramov LW (6th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) Stupino)
Dominik Badinka RHD (2nd Round 2024 SweHL Malmö)
Noel Fransen LHD (3rd Round 2024 SweHL Färjestad)
Timur Kol LHD (6th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) St. Petersburg)
Andrei Krutov LW (7th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) Nizhny Novgorod)

Justin Poirier RW (5th Round 2024 QMJHL Baie-Comeau)
Roman Shokhrin LHD (6th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) Loko-76 Yaroslavl)

Alexander Siryatsky LHD (4th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) Magnitogorsk/KHL Magnitogorsk)
Oskar Vuollet F (5th Round 2024 SweHL Skellefteå)

Last edited:
Nikita Artamonov W (2nd Round 2024 KHL Nizhny Novgorod)
Fyodor Avramov LW (6th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) Stupino)
Dominik Badinka RHD (2nd Round 2024 SweHL Malmö)
Michael Emerson F (6th Round 2023 Hockey East Merrimack So.)
Noel Fransen LHD (3rd Round 2024 SweHL Färjestad)
Simon Forsmark LHD (4th Round 2022 SweHL Timra)
Vladimir Grudinin LHD (5th Round 2022 KHL Cherepovets)
Nikita Guslistov C (7th round 2021 KHL Minsk)
Timur Kol LHD (6th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) St. Petersburg)
Andrei Krutov LW (7th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) Nizhny Novgorod)

Lucas Mercuri C (6th round 2020 Hockey East UMASS-Amherst Sr.)
Bryce Montgomery RHD (6th round 2021 ????)
Timur Mukhanov LW (6th Round 2023 KHL Cherepovets)
Alexander Nikishin LHD (3rd round 2020 KHL SKA St. Petersburg)
Joel Nystrom RHD (7th round 2021 SweHL Färjestad)
Alexander Pelevin LHD (7th round 2022 VHL (Russian Minors) Gorky NN)
Alexander Perevalov LW (3rd Round 2022 KHL Omsk)
Jayden Perron RW (3rd Round 2023 NCHC U of North Dakota So.)
Justin Poirier RW (5th Round 2024 QMJHL Baie-Comeau)
Alexander Rykov RW (4th Round 2023 KHL Chelyabinsk)
Roman Shokhrin LHD (6th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) Loko-76 Yaroslavl)
Alexander Siryatsky LHD (4th Round 2024 MHL (Russian Juniors) Magnitogorsk/KHL Magnitogorsk)
Felix Unger Sörum RW (2nd Round 2023 SHL Leksands IF)
Oskar Vuollet F (5th Round 2024 SweHL Skellefteå)
Stanislav Yarovoi LW (4th Round 2023 KHL Vityaz Moscow Region)

Patrik Hamrla G (3rd Round 2021 ????)
Ruslan Khazheyev G (5th Round 2023 ???)
Yegor Naumov G (7th round 2021 Belarus Melodechno)
Nikita Quapp G (6th round 2021 DEL Dusseldorfer)
Yegor Velmakin G (7th Round 2023 KHL Minsk)
Jakub Vondras G (6th round 2022 OHL Sudbury)

Last edited:
More Russians for you to track ... sorry, dude
Yep, I expected as much. These 18/19 year old Russian kids are the worst because they end up playing at all 3 levels (MHL, VHL, KHL) and its hard some weeks to tell where they are assigned.

We have that one 7th round pick left. I'm sure there is a Russian goalie we are planning to take.

Yeah, especially the guys who get taken after the 3rd round. At least they mixed in some dudes in Sweden this time. Press reports from there are less erratic.

The Washington Capitals have reached out to me and offered to buy out my prospect and AHL tracking to make it exclusive to just their franchise. The money is seriously lacking but they did note that they have a fraction of the Russian prospects that the Canes have.

Yep, I expected as much. These 18/19 year old Russian kids are the worst because they end up playing at all 3 levels (MHL, VHL, KHL) and its hard some weeks to tell where they are assigned.

We have that one 7th round pick left. I'm sure there is a Russian goalie we are planning to take.

Despite trading the first rounder, Steven Ellis from Daily Faceoff gave the Canes an A.

I see Bradley Nadeus brother Josh is on the list. He was never drafted but put up identical numbers when he playd with his brother. He is two years older but could be worth a look.

I see Bradley Nadeus brother Josh is on the list. He was never drafted but put up identical numbers when he playd with his brother. He is two years older but could be worth a look.
Yeah, there were some reports of Carolina scouting him pretty heavily last season and I was expecting to see him offered when his brother signed, but it never happened. Maybe everybody wanted to give it a minute and see what panned out. Good to see them keeping an eye on him if nothing else.

Yeah, there were some reports of Carolina scouting him pretty heavily last season and I was expecting to see him offered when his brother signed, but it never happened. Maybe everybody wanted to give it a minute and see what panned out. Good to see them keeping an eye on him if nothing else.
He was at the camp last year too. Josh is 2 years older, even though they were both freshman at Maine last season. He’s also smaller than his brother, only 5’8”, not that Bradley is a giant, he’s only 5’10”. At this point, there is no risk to anyone else drafting him, so bring him to camp, let him hang with his brother and soak up knowledge and then sign him as a UDFA after his eligibility is up.

Back