• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

Ovy perhaps...regardless, can't think of a generational star slipping past #1 overall

Well, Catton had 1.71 PPG this year in the WHL, this sits as the 3rd highest PPG for a WHL draft eligible player over the last 20 years. He only follows Connor Bedard (2.51) and Sam Reinhart (1.75).

As much as people (for some bizarre reason) want to downplay Berkly Catton, the numbers say different. They say he has the potential to be a generational player. And if one looks into the intangibles (drive, commitment, IQ, competitiveness), it only bolsters that possibility. And not to mention he did this on a very weak team, with linemates who had no business on any CHL teams #1 line.
I'm with you.
Teams would do so much better if they just drafted based on points. Not perfect but better.

I've got Catton as my top forward hopeful.

I'm with you.
Teams would do so much better if they just drafted based on points. Not perfect but better.

I've got Catton as my top forward hopeful.
Interestingly I'm seeing Catton rising and Lindstrom dropping on the most recent lists. Buium has been rising too.

This is true. But now I wonder if the a lot of Habs fans are neurotic and misjudging picks. A lot of people were wrong on Slafkovsky. And Reinbacher is no putz - need to let the kid play before judging if he’s a top line or second pairing guy. The skill package, IQ and athleticism is pretty damn close to elite.

Let's hope Reinbacher bounces back like Slaf did.

Is he as good as McDingDong? Because that’s what “generational” means.
McMaybe, lol.

Generational, franchise player...the lines are blurred these days. I'm not saying he will become that. I'm saying he has the skills, brains and work ethic that I wouldn't count him out. I also think that's possible for Celebrini and Demidov. If they can translate their game and get even better during their NHL careers. It's remote, but possible IMO, they have the base. I think there is zero chance a guy like Iginla or Lindstrom can reach that level.

I worked with a French Canadian guy in the mid-80's from Granby, who was a huge Habs fan. He told me a guy by the name of Patrick Roy was going to be better than Dryden. I laughed. So I get your point. But he laughed last. 3rd round pick. What he told me is that his Junior numbers meant nothing because Granby was a terrible team.

I think the same applies to Catton. HORRIBLE team that had no business making the playoffs. He was the only star player on that team. He literally did it all himself. If he had even one decent linemate, he may had been closer to 2PPG. Give him NHL caliber players, and you just never know. He was the 1OA WHL pick. He's always been a great player/prospect. OF course it's a long shot, but you never know when the next Roy or Bossy or Kucherov will come along.

5th OA + 26th + Reinbacher for B. Tkachuk?

too rich for my blood....but also, they probably would ask for more. Their rebuild is getting long in the tooth -- they need plug in play top shelf talent.

Marner for Tkachuk would be interesting but I don't see Marner wanting to play in Ottawa long term.

Back