• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

Well, Catton had 1.71 PPG this year in the WHL, this sits as the 3rd highest PPG for a WHL draft eligible player over the last 20 years. He only follows Connor Bedard (2.51) and Sam Reinhart (1.75).

As much as people (for some bizarre reason) want to downplay Berkly Catton, the numbers say different. They say he has the potential to be a generational player. And if one looks into the intangibles (drive, commitment, IQ, competitiveness), it only bolsters that possibility. And not to mention he did this on a very weak team, with linemates who had no business on any CHL teams #1 line.
Zero chance he will be generational

People seem to react badly when HuGo pick a perceived High Floor prospect.

As Kwesi (Vikings GM) recently said, about playing it safe. "Sometimes you have to take your Clark Kent glasses off and just have a championship mindset and swing for a great player."

of course, in the NHL, there's usually only 3 or 4 great players in any given draft year

It's mostly the low ceiling that tends to get to us. We haven't had a lot in term of actual talent on this team for the past 30 years.

This is true. But now I wonder if the a lot of Habs fans are neurotic and misjudging picks. A lot of people were wrong on Slafkovsky. And Reinbacher is no putz - need to let the kid play before judging if he’s a top line or second pairing guy. The skill package, IQ and athleticism is pretty damn close to elite.

If he's there later then yeah I take a gamble that the fight is in him too. Bottom six grinder ala Lehkonen

Reactions: CH1
As Kwesi (Vikings GM) recently said, about playing it safe. "Sometimes you have to take your Clark Kent glasses off and just have a championship mindset and swing for a great player."
Much easier in the NFL where pro bowlers are developed into round 7

Back