• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

He's not wrong. The best d-man in the playoffs so far, Gustav Forsling, was brought in from the scrap heaps by the Panthers. None of the top playoff scorers were.
That's a bit of an anomaly though. It's not like a lot of great dmen are being snagged off waivers. I mean Marty St. Louis was a waiver pick up at one time and he's a hall of famer.

It would make sense that dmen can be found for cheap and then developed since dmen tend to take so long to develop. It's even more of a crapshoot at 18 years old. Most of the best dmen are drafted high though.

Quality D-man also hit free agency way more than their forward counterparts.

Talent being equal, ALWAYS draft a forward. Not much of a debate, IMO. Ignore supply/demand dynamic at your own risk.

Talent being equal, ALWAYS draft a forward. Not much of a debate, IMO. Ignore supply/demand dynamic at your own risk.
I don't disagree at all. I definitely take the forward over dman if they seem close.

Reactions: CH1

D might be available but your chances of landing a vet like Pietro is slim to none for about 2/3 of the league and most likely you need to be a contender.

How many quality D are available in the 23-26 year old range ?

There are too many quality D in the top10 this year and not enough quality forwards

Last edited:
That's a bit of an anomaly though. It's not like a lot of great dmen are being snagged off waivers. I mean Marty St. Louis was a waiver pick up at one time and he's a hall of famer.

It would make sense that dmen can be found for cheap and then developed since dmen tend to take so long to develop. It's even more of a crapshoot at 18 years old. Most of the best dmen are drafted high though.
Waddell is basically saying there’s no Hedman type top Dman as part of the batch of D prospects - if there was that’d be every teams focus.

Why is that a reason? It's actually irrelevant to the #2 pick
Waddell said its easier to find D than it is to find goal scoring.

Ive seen the argument Chicago needs a Hedman type ( Levshunov) over a running mate for Bedard.

While i wont be angry with Levshunov, i think passing on Demidov would be a mistake.

Kyle Davidson has given me no indication thus far that he wont go BPA at that pick

Yes, a team that has great difficulty scoring should trade a 30-40 goal scorer. Definitely makes sense. I’ve always said that even the “intelligent” members of the French sports media are complete mediocrities. Case in point.
It was just a discussion, not a proposal. But let’s say for fun that Demidov drops to us, trade Caufield for 6, draft Dickinson, and trade Guhle for Necas, it could be interesting.

Back