• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

While I understand that more than 80% of 4th to 7th rounds picks are never going to play in the NHL, I would hope that we would at least try to get some value. Identify a guy who's slipping a little, that everyone seems to be high on.

While I'm not a fan of Justin Poirier, I'll admit that he's a talented goal scorer. I just don't think he does anything else and that will ultimately be why he'll never have an NHL career...

...but at least there's a chance. He's got one elite trait, and if he can build his game in the next 3-4 years, there's a chance.

Everyone we picked after Koivu today, though? I honestly don't know what their path to the NHL is. Sawyer's maybe a grinder? Who knows, he's not going pro for another 5 years. Protz is a violent hitter, no idea if he actually knows how to play hockey. Thorpe, 19 years old and only barely starting to figure things out. Problem for him is, he's in the CHL and he might be going pro in 18 months. He's the type of player I wish was eligible for the NCAA to play four years like Luke Tuch. I don't see much hope for him. Vecvanagas... Nobody seems to know anything about him. Merrill... Don't know how someone like him gets drafted. Looks like a guy who doesn't know how to play, but he's 6'4". Another dude who's going to take 5 years. Khanin's at least is kind of interesting, in a way, but barely. Bergqvist's 19 and doing nothing of note in the Swedish Junior leagues.

Extremely underwhelming day.

While I understand that more than 80% of 4th to 7th rounds picks are never going to play in the NHL, I would hope that we would at least try to get some value. Identify a guy who's slipping a little, that everyone seems to be high on.

While I'm not a fan of Justin Poirier, I'll admit that he's a talented goal scorer. I just don't think he does anything else and that will ultimately be why he'll never have an NHL career...

...but at least there's a chance. He's got one elite trait, and if he can build his game in the next 3-4 years, there's a chance.

Everyone we picked after Koivu today, though? I honestly don't know what their path to the NHL is. Sawyer's maybe a grinder? Who knows, he's not going pro for another 5 years. Protz is a violent hitter, no idea if he actually knows how to play hockey. Thorpe, 19 years old and only barely starting to figure things out. Problem for him is, he's in the CHL and he might be going pro in 18 months. He's the type of player I wish was eligible for the NCAA to play four years like Luke Tuch. I don't see much hope for him. Vecvanagas... Nobody seems to know anything about him. Merrill... Don't know how someone like him gets drafted. Looks like a guy who doesn't know how to play, but he's 6'4". Another dude who's going to take 5 years. Khanin's at least is kind of interesting, in a way, but barely. Bergqvist's 19 and doing nothing of note in the Swedish Junior leagues.

Extremely underwhelming day.
Like I said here last night, really don’t care much about today. I think/hope we drafted two top 6 forwards last night. But no, management can’t have that approach, just fans.

Last edited:
I mean when I'm reading things like the play is too fast for him, or worst skater in the draft, what are we doing here?

I mean when I'm reading things like the play is too fast for him, or worst skater in the draft, what are we doing here?
The same criticism I had of Philly yesterday: Galaxy brain, "we're the smartest people in the room" nonsense. Our scouts did the same thing last year.

Sometimes, simple is best.

@GGpX

Thoughts on Hawks draft?
I'd give Chicago probably an A grade.

Levshunov wouldn't have been my pick at 2, but it's a question of taste more than anything else. It's not like he was a reach at 2.

Love the Boisvert pick, he would have been my choice for the Habs at 21.

Like the Vanacker pick, might have take a few players before him, but no complaints.

Mustard in the third round is great value, was one of the players I was hoping the Habs would get with one of their third round picks when he was dropping.

After that, though, it's all a guess. If you get any NHL games from those guys taken after Mustard, it's a bonus.

Levshunov's an NHLer, we'll see where he ends up slotted in a few years. I think at least one of Boisvert/Vanacker/Mustard's going to be a solid regular, possibly two. Those three are potential 2nd/3rd line forwards. For late firsts and one third round pick, that would be great.

I'd give Chicago probably an A grade.

Levshunov wouldn't have been my pick at 2, but it's a question of taste more than anything else. It's not like he was a reach at 2.

Love the Boisvert pick, he would have been my choice for the Habs at 21.

Like the Vanacker pick, might have take a few players before him, but no complaints.

Mustard in the third round is great value, was one of the players I was hoping the Habs would get with one of their third round picks when he was dropping.

After that, though, it's all a guess. If you get any NHL games from those guys taken after Mustard, it's a bonus.

Levshunov's an NHLer, we'll see where he ends up slotted in a few years. I think at least one of Boisvert/Vanacker/Mustard's going to be a solid regular, possibly two. Those three are potential 2nd/3rd line forwards. For late firsts and one third round pick, that would be great.
I would have gone Demidov as well, but i understand the argument for a top pairing RHD

I cant say i know enough about Vanecker, but im usually against moving up for a bottom 6 projected guy, but i give KD the benefit.

The same criticism I had of Philly yesterday: Galaxy brain, "we're the smartest people in the room" nonsense. Our scouts did the same thing last year.

Sometimes, simple is best.
Fowler is looking like they might be the smartest in the room, actually.

Fowler is looking like they might be the smartest in the room, actually.
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, last year's & draft's are pretty similar.

Reinbacher last year, beyond wanting Michkov over him, I have no issues with. This year, no issues with Demidov/Hage.

Last year at #69, we got Fowler. This year at #70, we got Koivu. Might not have been the players I wanted, but we'll see how they turn out.

Everything after that, though...

Back