• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

Something interesting from this draft.

I checked the height of all the players taken.

225 total players.

198 of them are 6' or taller.

So while 20 years ago, the emphasis from the new rules was supposed to open the game up a little bit for small, skilled players, the current reality is that the NHL is going backwards. There's major emphasis on players with size, without necessarily having skill, at the detriment of smaller players who might be a little more skilled. Explains why players like Justin Poirier & Mac Swanson were taken so late.

Something interesting from this draft.

I checked the height of all the players taken.

225 total players.

198 of them are 6' or taller.

So while 20 years ago, the emphasis from the new rules was supposed to open the game up a little bit for small, skilled players, the current reality is that the NHL is going backwards. There's major emphasis on players with size, without necessarily having skill, at the detriment of smaller players who might be a little more skilled. Explains why players like Justin Poirier & Mac Swanson were taken so late.
A mere coincidence, I’m sure. 😀

Also, most of the kids playing at a draft-realistic level are 6’ or taller by their draft year, so what came first, the chicken or the egg?

No no, no no. According to genius fans the Habs realized their mistake. 😂

Everything was planned. Their plan crossed multiple draft years. They are following 16 year olds
Exactly! I wanted Michkov. And there's no denying his talent. But for Bobrov to not take him in light of that talent, leads me to believe there is truth to the scuttlebutt regarding his character. I mean, 6 teams passed on him even though talent-wise he was likely #2.

If it weren’t for Maritimers Q wouldn’t even have legs to stand on Crosby, Marchand, MavKinnon, etc...
I’m glad we Atlantic Canadiens are finally being seen as superior to Quebecers. It’s been a long time coming and I am quite grateful. Now I’ve only the young men from Montreal would stop sleeping in parking lots and shitting outside of churches at surf spots…

I’m glad we Atlantic Canadiens are finally being seen as superior to Quebecers. It’s been a long time coming and I am quite grateful. Now I’ve only the young men from Montreal would stop sleeping in parking lots and shitting outside of churches at surf spots…
Uuuhh

Holy shit?

Hockey governance in Quebec appears to be the culprit - fiefdoms of local warlords it seems. Jocelyn Thibault gave up trying to modernize and reform.

Look at the Winter Olympics. Quebec dominates. And other sports… football, basketball and soccer… pretty good. Kids are doing other sports.

Last edited:
Quebec minor hockey has always been corrupt and at the junior A level more concerned with cultivating star players who can sell tickets at the expense of developing players who can play an NHL style of game.

Hockey governance in Quebec appears to be the culprit - fiefdoms of local warlords it seems. Jocelyn Thibault gave trying to modernize and reform.

Look at the Winter Olympics. Quebec dominates. And other sports… football, basketball and soccer… pretty good. Kids are doing other sports.
I think that’s also due to cost / time allocation factor.

Hockey has become a very elitist sport - not only for basics: equipment, team fees but all the individualized clinics that have become part of the new norm. Then there’s the time factor, which also drives up cost.

Last edited:
Back